Naturally

Guys, would you let your little sister date a guy like you?

17 posts in this topic

Yes definitely - hopefully not in the near future though!, someone like me would be very responsible, and respectful, and have her interest's at heart!

Sometimes I think I've given her future boyfriends an almost unrealistic expectation to live up to hah (but if I can meet it so can they!), when I wake her up in the mornings I deliver coffee/cookies etc, I'm always there when she needs help, I'm teaching her math since her teachers can't teach etc.

I'm worried she'll date someone not like me, someone who wont treat her with respect etc, who will just use her and throw her away,

But she's absolutely disgusted at the boys in her grade - and that a couple of the girls have already had abortions, and is hesitant to even make friends because most of the kids drink/do drugs on the weekends and she doesn't know who to trust. This is grade 9.

4 people like this

But she's absolutely disgusted at the boys in her grade - and that a couple of the girls have already had abortions, and is hesitant to even make friends because most of the kids drink/do drugs on the weekends and she doesn't know who to trust. This is grade 9.

Wow, I can't believe 9th graders are having abortions! I really feel for your poor sister (sounds like me in 9th grade!)... but that is fantastic that she is smart enough and bold enough not to get caught up in the youth culture around her. Keep up the good influence-- things might get a bit lonely for her until her peers grow up. She's lucky to have you, and I'm sure she's going to need you there as someone to talk to and look up to as time goes on.

2 people like this

I hope she would. Not saying I'm devoid of flaws because I have several lol, but it's kinda like what Chris said. We want them to fall for and date a man that is going to treat them well and protect their heart. Not someone who is gonna say they love her and do all the right things then a month or so later they become tired of the relationship. That's not something I want for my sister. Thank goodness she's only 10 so this isn't an issue quite yet.

But I love the question and it brings to mind something else. It's funny how there are so many men, well, boys out there who dog girls and treat them as meat and whisper all the right things just to sleep with em. I know damn well if they caught a dude doing the same to their mothers, sisters, female cousin, or close friend they would be livid. But its all good when they do it right?

Our generation has a lot of stepping up to do :mellow:

3 people like this

awwwwww this is totally sweeet!!!!! my brothers don't ever want me to date! :lol: but that is just too sweet!!!!

1 person likes this

Yes. I know a lot of guys, and I personally don't know any at all like me.

Makes me afraid to ever want a daughter haha.

3 people like this

Makes me afraid to ever want a daughter haha.

I've thought this same thing myself!! Theres a front license plate that I've seen a few times around here....it says DADD in big letters and underneath it says "Dads Against Daughters Dating" Haha I was like that will def be me lol!!

2 people like this

As a girl, i always find it so ironic that guys are very protective of their sisters and daughters, but while theyre dating, typically wanna "get some" as much as they can.....SOOO ironic!!!!!

4 people like this

As a girl, i always find it so ironic that guys are very protective of their sisters and daughters, but while theyre dating, typically wanna "get some" as much as they can.....SOOO ironic!!!!!

I agree - yay for double standards, The whole "treat others as you yourself want to be treated" applies here as well, treat girls as you want your sister/daughter to be treated :P

3 people like this

I have a former boss that basically let on that he got around a lot while he was younger. He recently had his second child, both are girls. He said it's God's way of getting back at him for all his exploits!

5 people like this

They forget that the girls they want to "get some" from are somebody else's sisters and daughters.

4 people like this

okay what all you fellas said really neat. but in the guys defense, would ya'll let your sister/daughter dress and act the way the majority of girls do now-a-days?? I mean those girls aren't getting raped they are willing partners. Now I understand some guys,regardless, of the kind of girl you are will have no respect whatsoever but like the "Bride-to-be" topic you guys said it ya'llself that it's hard to look and wonder by how girls dress so what can you expect from non-waiter guys who are looking to roll around and have a good time. As they saying goes "You can't expect a tiger to remain hungry when there is a yummy deer in front of it." I mean it's not like the girls aren't offering most of the time. My brothers and dad say all the time that they can't even go into public with out seeing everything on a girl because she's showing it all! So what can we expect from the guys anyways?? Generally speaking, men can only go as far as we allow them to see or go. Sorry forgot to add...sometimes I can't really blame them. Just saying.

1 person likes this

okay what all you fellas said really neat. but in the guys defense, would ya'll let your sister/daughter dress and act the way the majority of girls do now-a-days??

I mean those girls aren't getting raped they are willing partners.

Generally speaking, men can only go as far as we allow them to see or go. Sorry forgot to add...sometimes I can't really blame them. Just saying.

I agree that how a lot of girls dress now a days is not okay. My Dad was pretty cool with "whatever" unless it looked too short, and my Mom always watched to see if we needed a slip wth a skirt or dress :P So, I guess you can say they were more strict than most parents.

I agree, that a lot of girls are willing, so it's their choice.

Bahaah I LOVE that "men can only go as far as we allow them to see or go." SO true!!!! :D

Ohh great question - and I had to think about it a bit,

And my answer still remains the same.

Respect: this is an extremely important value and force. If my sister and or kids did not respect me, then I would have zero influence on them. By forcing them to act a certain way, in my opinion I am destroying respect that they may have had for me.

Following this line of thought, If I were to force my sister to act, dress, or be a certain way, she's almost certain to go directly against that. On top of that, I would lose the single most important thing in my life right now, her respect, her love. So I have to sit back, and allow her to be herself. I can guide, I can say I don't like it, but I'll also have to say its her decision.

And the same goes for a girlfriend/wife, If she wore something super revealing out in public, I'd tell her that I feel jealous about it, would rather she didn't, but also make it clear, that I respect her decision either way.

Thankfully - Im glad that when she does wear her really low cut longsleeve that she has and really loves, that she pins the top closed a bit when out in public. And she wears shorts over her bikini bottoms to the beach. I'm worried for sure - she looks more like 18-20 than 14. But I have no right to force her to do anything.

So what can we expect from the guys anyways??

Any respectable guy will still treat you with respect - just cause we are tempted with our eyes a bit doesn't mean we all turn into mindless idiots.

Generally speaking, men can only go as far as we allow them to see or go.

True! And I think a lot of women take full advantage of it, to try and manipulate men. And it probably works at least to a lesser extent, I mean when I played wow, I knew several people who made female characters and went and begged for gold and they got lots simply because of the female character. I read an article somewhere also where a lot of female gamers would deliberately make male characters just to get away from the harassment.

1 person likes this

I think this question is kind of a moot one in my case because I don't think my sister would want to date a guy like me. Sometimes I think I annoy her because I'm really protective of her. I picture myself being that ridiculous, over-the-top father who would make every guy my daughter brings home have a private chat in my office while I display my gun collection to him. You know, the kind who would gladly go to prison if he hurt her in anyway. That really turns my sister off so she would think a guy like me would be too overbearing. She's an adult now and she can make her own decisions, but she always goes for the loser guys.

Then again, I'm also kind of a loser too. I lost my job a while back and was forced to move home. So, I guess the answer is no, I would not want my sister to date a guy like me. I'd want her to date a guy who can take care of her as well as honor and respect her and would lay down his life for her if she was in danger.

1 person likes this

I'm a girl, and an only child, but if I had a brother I hope he would date a girl like me: I am completely loyal, well-educated, always friendly, and I for some miracle I never PMS. :P

Seeing as how both of my sisters are basically married now, I can't really hope for this anymore. Hahaha. 

But if they were both single I think a guy like me would be pretty high up on their list. I'm actually quite protective of both of them. My younger sister's husband and I actually share quite a few similarities, maybe that's why we get along so well. I see the way he treats her and it's the same way I would treat a woman I was dating, with live and affection, almost to a fault. The downside to being this way is that you can easily get taken advantage of, which knowing my younger sister she does from time to time. 

I'm nowhere near perfect by any means, and probably one of the biggest issues they would have to deal with dating a guy like me would be my independence. I'm so used to doing things for myself that I hardly ever ask someone else for help. I can also be quite introverted while both of my sisters are pretty extroverted. If anything I would tell both of them to be patient with a guy like me and just have trust and faith in the person they are dating. 

I think overall they would have a man who was trustworthy, protective, ethical, caring, and sensitive. I can be pretty impatient at times, especially when it comes to telling/showing a girl how I feel but somehow I don't think that'should a bad thing anymore.