Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PG1

'Woman' vs 'Girl'

3 posts in this topic

Here is my response, but I'm curious as to yours...

I really admire you, but I still believe that context matters...not just the individual word itself. So, I can see your point in that we need the world to understand that, in a case similar to what you said with men sit at a bar and referring to a women sitting near, men should be respectful and honor her as the grown woman that she is. However, I do think there are circumstances where we need to remember that it can be acceptable, or even affectionate, talk...such as 'I'm going out with my girls' or 'That beautiful woman over there? That's MY girl. I am a lucky guy'. Not only have I said the first, but I'd be thrilled to have a man think so much of me that he'd want to point me out like that simply because he feels lucky that I'm his. These phrases do not mean I do not see my female friends as children, nor that my would be love feels I'm less than he. Context matters. That's what we should be teaching. Things such as calling a professional woman, in the workplace, by ma'am, or Doctor so-n-so or whatever. Calling your secretary 'miss' is appropriate unless she's a missus, but revering to her as your 'girl' is unacceptable and demeaning, whether your male of female. On the other hand a husband referring to his wife and daughter as his 'girls' is an affectionate term and, unless his wife tells him otherwise, he should feel comfortable with using it.

The same thought process can be used toward males 'guys' vs 'men'. However, guys do tend to not get overly sensitive about this kind of thing because they haven't had to deal with the struggles women have to be seen as intelligent and equal. Still, we can't expect to use 'girls' for just children under 18, and still use 'guys' when we speak about men.

The examples for acceptable or unacceptable are endless but what it boils down to is this...

Context matters.

To me, it's like this. The female version of "men" is "women." The female version of "boys" is "girls." The female version of "guys" is....? I think it used to be "gals," but that word is no longer commonly in use. So, I will use "girls" more or less in the way I would use "guys."

1 person likes this

I've used both. I'll continue to do so.

People actually taking the time to get "offended" about it? I couldn't care less. This world has a lot of real problems, it doesn't get any more "First World Problem" than stuff like this.

That's today's culture though. We specialize in finding meaningless, trivial things to be "offended" about.