Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vesz

Good But Not Enough

5 posts in this topic

Consider these:

1 Samuel 1:1-8  - About Hannah and Elkanah (mother and father of Samuel). Hannah's womb had been closed and therefore she could not bare any children. She was ridiculed by her rival who had children and one such day where she spent her time mulling over her fate, Elkanah asks, " 8Her husband Elkanah would say to her, “Hannah, why are you weeping? Why don’t you eat? Why are you downhearted? Don’t I mean more to you than ten sons?â€" 

Eli was a good man. He gave Hannah a double portion because he loved her. But for Hannah, this was not quite enough. She needed a child which Elkanah could not give. 

2 Kings 4:1-7 - A widow owed her creditors and at the point of having to pay back, she had no money. Her sons would be taken into slavery for any further defaults and she was desperate. 

Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?â€

“Your servant has nothing there at all,†she said, “except a small jar of olive oil.â€

The small jar of oil was good to cook a meal but not enough to save her sons. 

Consider Goliath, donned in his full armor for battle. The weak point in his armor became his death point. The armor was good to protect all other parts but not quite enough. 

The lad who had 5 loaves and 2 pieces of fish- it was good for his lunch but not quite enough to feed the multitude.

Have you ever been at the point where you realize what you have is good but you need "enough".

Enough never comes by chance. Enough is not for the ordinary man. 

Enough is for those people who can believe in the One who does exceedingly, abundantly far above, what we ask or think! For people who can understand that the distance between Good and Enough is not only hardwork but Divine Intervention. The Extra that only the Hand of God can bring. 

Dare I say, waiting is good but not quite enough? We need the spirit of God to help us make good choices for partners that will bring completeness; that will produce the "enough".

What else is good but not quite enough in your life? Can you believe God to bring you to a place of completeness and enough? 

5 people like this

Consider these:

1 Samuel 1:1-8  - About Hannah and Elkanah (mother and father of Samuel). Hannah's womb had been closed and therefore she could not bare any children. She was ridiculed by her rival who had children and one such day where she spent her time mulling over her fate, Elkanah asks, " 8Her husband Elkanah would say to her, “Hannah, why are you weeping? Why don’t you eat? Why are you downhearted? Don’t I mean more to you than ten sons?â€" 

Eli was a good man. He gave Hannah a double portion because he loved her. But for Hannah, this was not quite enough. She needed a child which Elkanah could not give. 

2 Kings 4:1-7 - A widow owed her creditors and at the point of having to pay back, she had no money. Her sons would be taken into slavery for any further defaults and she was desperate. 

Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?â€

“Your servant has nothing there at all,†she said, “except a small jar of olive oil.â€

The small jar of oil was good to cook a meal but not enough to save her sons. 

Consider Goliath, donned in his full armor for battle. The weak point in his armor became his death point. The armor was good to protect all other parts but not quite enough. 

The lad who had 5 loaves and 2 pieces of fish- it was good for his lunch but not quite enough to feed the multitude.

Have you ever been at the point where you realize what you have is good but you need "enough".

Enough never comes by chance. Enough is not for the ordinary man. 

Enough is for those people who can believe in the One who does exceedingly, abundantly far above, what we ask or think! For people who can understand that the distance between Good and Enough is not only hardwork but Divine Intervention. The Extra that only the Hand of God can bring. 

Dare I say, waiting is good but not quite enough? We need the spirit of God to help us make good choices for partners that will bring completeness; that will produce the "enough".

What else is good but not quite enough in your life? Can you believe God to bring you to a place of completeness and enough? 

Personally, I think this kind of thinking leads to: "You do not have what you want because you need to do one more thing to get it."  That's "chasing the dragon."  You will never reach it.  Someone will always try and provide another with a haughty explanation for what has not yet been acquired.  I think it is better to let people help by actually helping another acquire what they desire.  Not by making up a story about one more thing to do, and then next thing and the next thing, and ad nausueum.  Everything else is sort of blaming the victim beyond their control.

I think it goes deeper also.  This "never good enough" philosophy is a trick that the mainstream church has been using to combat the failing relevance that the mainstream church experiences by leaving themselves out of the progress of the 21st century.  I think most congregations are (or may not be for much longer) tax-free businesses.  Since people who may have had problems at one point in life stay for a long time, they still may desire something they have yet to acquire after a very long time.  Well, the church needs their money, and must continue to declare that they aren't good enough so that they stay just a little bit longer.  Then they can just declare that if they do one more thing, one after the other, that it will EVENTUALLY come.  But, it never does.  It will always be, "You aren't good enough, so you need to keep coming to our congregation."

1 person likes this

I agree GP. That's what's become of the "never good enough" philosophy which has been twisted I must say. I also agree that some churches take advantage of this to propagate absolute dependence on them as opposed to empowering the Christians to rely on God and fulfill their duties as well. 

But in the bigger scheme of things, I doubt we will ever have it all. We are only human...

I agree GP. That's what's become of the "never good enough" philosophy which has been twisted I must say. I also agree that some churches take advantage of this to propagate absolute dependence on them as opposed to empowering the Christians to rely on God and fulfill their duties as well. 

But in the bigger scheme of things, I doubt we will ever have it all. We are only human...

I think its great to keep strivin' to acheive greater and greater things.  I continue to do this in my own life, and I am sure you do the same.  Being thorough is certainly a great tool to make ourselves better christians.  However, I think there is a fast way to spot who wants to encourage a need for Jesus and who encourages a need for their own agenda.  I've found that people who who never acknowledge how far Jesus Has ALREADY taken someone in life are the ones who are pushing their own agenda.  This is because people who push their own agendas get mad when they aren't in control of the success that God acknowledges.  It is one kind of humility to look up at the pyramid we wish to build for God and realize that it is no small task when we realize how much higher we need to go.  It is greater humility, however, to look DOWN at one's own pyramid and be ready to acknowledge that something about the base could be improved or *gulp* CORRECTED.  The church seems to have a real problem today acknowledging that they may have made mistakes, so they have a hard time improving or correcting.  Yet, a lot of church members will tell others that they aren't perfect, but they don't want to correct it.

A lot of people don't like that because they may have to start over and redo work on a pyramid they have to admit they built WRONGLY.  But in order to get to the top, it is necessary for the foundation to be correct first.  Otherwise, people will begin to think that they need to generate excuses as to why the pyramid is not able to support weight according to the original plans to build higher.  That's because everything must be within specification if we are to build a pyramid worthy of the provision and high esteem with which Jesus Holds us.  Jesus thinks VERY highly of us, and He Knows what we are really capable of...

Vesz, I love this topic, I think it's really interesting and an extension of one of the more difficult questions, which hardly ever gets addressed: if I believe and have faith and do good, why do I still not have enough, what is enough, what else can I do? I've struggled with this a lot, partially in terms of the outside world (financial struggles, family struggles, always falling just short of what I need), as also in terms of myself (I have never been enough for me, I have always felt like there is just one more thing to fix about myself before I'm worth something).

But I'll never forget what my grandma said to me one day, as we were sitting on the front porch just watching the world sort of wake up. We had been talking about God, and life, and the whole big picture, and she said, "You know, people don't get what the death of Christ was about, not really, not most of us. If they did, they wouldn't hate each other, they wouldn't elevate themselves for good deeds, degrade others for sins. Christ died to prove a point--no one could ever fulfill the commandments, they weren't made to be fulfilled. They were made to point out our brokenness and our need for God, but instead we saw them as a stepladder we could climb to get closer to him. So Christ died, the only person who could fulfill that list, to finally, finally show us that we didn't need commandments to be good, we needed God. And we had him, through Christ. So whatever happens in this world, know that you are enough, that you will have enough and make it out of troubles, that suffering is not because you didn't have enough faith but because this world is broken and we just have to keep fighting until it's mended. But we're enough for God, otherwise, he wouldn't have died for us. We don't have to earn love, because that kind of love can't be earned."

I know that what she said isn't entirely on topic with everything here, but this thread made me think about it, about how that mentality changed my whole outlook on God and the world. I think we forget that idea of enough in the man-made hierarchy and systems of power we've made for the world, in the pursuit of the next best thing, the next best us, the next best version of life.

Life is enough, breath is enough, we are enough, and life will always carry us into the next moment, no matter what. It's kept me hopeful when not much else will. I don't always hear God, I don't always know what I'm supposed to do next, and no matter how badly I'd like to follow his lead, sometimes I have no idea where my next step should be. But I realized that it doesn't matter, because we are enough. Right step, wrong step, poor faith, mistakes, suffering, all of it--we don't have to be better for God to bless us or love us or provide for us, that's not what love does. At least, that's what I've come to know and believe in my life. So we walk blindly ahead, not on the faith that everything is going to be alright, but on the faith that even if it isn't, we are loved and that's worth everything on its own. 

4 people like this