Novelist

Other things you miss

8 posts in this topic

Maybe there's already a topic like this. If so, sorry.

Obviously, most of us would like to have regular sex some day, and WTM delays that. But I wanted to ask if anyone feels like they're missing out on anything else while they're waiting. There are some things, aside from sex or even kissing, which you don't really do outside of a relationship. Not just physical stuff, but even activities that seem couple-oriented. Waiters who are in relationships probably won't experience this as much.

For me, it's dancing. Not the club kind. I took a ballroom dance class while in college. Aside from it being interesting and fun, I was really attracted to one of my classmates. Dancing with him, whether it was tango or waltz or whatever, was especially pleasant. I haven't danced since and have forgotten most of the moves for want of practice. I sometimes think I'll never be in a relationship and, thus, never marry. Part of me is just as sad that I might never be able to slow-dance with my hand on a man's shoulder and his on the small of my back. As an adult, I wouldn't want to take another class. Even in college, I was one of the few singles. Hard to practice without a partner. I know most guys are not avid dancers, but every now and then on a date-night wouldn't hurt.

Does anyone else have something like that which comes to mind?

2 people like this

I want to take swing dance lessons, but not alone. I want to walk in a city and hold hands. I'd like to have someone to have inside jokes with, or play in the toy section at the store with, who will get into the silly with me. Or get excited at odd useless information with me. Things like that.

6 people like this

For me, I yearn for the feeling of being wanted. Not just in the usual friendly way but in a way where someone misses me every day, really looks forward to seeing me and thinks about me all throughout the day. Basically I want to be regarded as special to her. Also I long for the comforting feeling of holding her in my arms.

8 people like this

Something I won't miss, always being the third wheel. I'm usually the only single person in groups so I end up being the awkward third person.

I miss not having someone to nag and bitch at.  :P

I miss not having someone to share the stupid shit I like with (Music, movies, tv shows, and so on.).

I also miss not having a partner in crime.  :P

1 person likes this

Ugh, samaye, I know how that feels. Once, when I was a teen, I went to see the 4th of July fireworks with a female relative, as we had done for years. We always left our parents to go and mingle in the big crowd with the booths and musicians. I was unpleasantly surprised to find out she and her boyfriend had planned ahead to meet. Idk why I didn't expect it. We had always just stayed together before, and she was a year younger than me! Lol. As an introvert, I didn't do much the rest of the night but stand by awkwardly while she and her bf giggled and kissed. I can still remember how abandoned and alone I felt. Ouch. I learned to handle it a little better, but these days I still feel like I'm trying to disappear into the wallpaper when it happens.

3 people like this

Exactly the same way for me, Novelist. Other things I miss?

- Dancing with a real Partner,

- holding a hand while walking down the road,

- travelling and sharing memories together.

1 person likes this

Well, after being single for the past three years, I JUST had a boyfriend for a few months, and we are taking a break now. Being with my last bf reminds me of the perks of being in a relationship (When I am used to being single). I miss:

-how a guy can adore you and admire you and tell you how beautiful you are several times a day

-having my boyfriend open car doors for me & open doors

-my boyfriend paying for our dinner (bc I am normally the friend that treats everyone else, otherwise no one has my back$$)

-being called pet names

-feeling special

-how a real man will make you feel like a WOMAN

-feeling wanted and feeling special

-having someone to share every day with, to call and talk to at the end of each day

-having someone special to spend time with

-the physical stuff (kissing, heavy petting, etc)

-  feeling like the toni braxton song, "Me and my boyfriend". Feeling like I HAVE SOMEBODY who CARES about me.