Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Free the nipple?

76 posts in this topic

I'm speaking to all women who try to get even with men for some reason. If you read the statement carefully, I said inventions, discoveries and decisions done by MEN not ME personally. Everything from cars to airplanes, the wheel, the telescope were all inventions by men, discoveries such as the atom, higgs boson, laws of physics etc, were discovered by men, all the wars of the world that have shaped the world's boundaries/borders were made by men, should I stop or you need more examples?

Marie Curie - conducted pioneering research on radioactivity, discovered two elements, won two Nobel prizes in both Chemistry and Physics. Her research led to the development of radiation treatment used to help cancer patients today.

Hedy Lamarr - a Hollywood movie star in the 1940s, she also was a groundbreaking engineer who was working on developing weapons technology to help the allies win WW2. Discovered 'frequency hopping' which is an essential component of modern WiFi, GPS and cell phone networks.

Dr Francoise Barre-Sinoussi - virologist who identified that AIDS was caused by the HIV virus. This discovery was the foundation for the development of all future research into HIV and AIDS.

Florence Nightingale - a nurse during the Crimean war who was an advocate for improving standards of hygiene in hospitals.

Eleanor Roosevelt - campaigned for Human Rights and was one of the authors that helped to draft the 1948 bill of human rights.

This is only a very small sample of the incredible innovations discovered by female scientists, engineers and advocates. This does not mention the achievements of female monarchs and political leaders who changed their countries for the better. It would be a very different world today without th e influence of these incredible women.

6 people like this

Marie Curie - conducted pioneering research on radioactivity, discovered two elements, won two Nobel prizes in both Chemistry and Physics. Her research led to the development of radiation treatment used to help cancer patients today.

Hedy Lamarr - a Hollywood movie star in the 1940s, she also was a groundbreaking engineer who was working on developing weapons technology to help the allies win WW2. Discovered 'frequency hopping' which is an essential component of modern WiFi, GPS and cell phone networks.

Dr Francoise Barre-Sinoussi - virologist who identified that AIDS was caused by the HIV virus. This discovery was the foundation for the development of all future research into HIV and AIDS.

Florence Nightingale - a nurse during the Crimean war who was an advocate for improving standards of hygiene in hospitals.

Eleanor Roosevelt - campaigned for Human Rights and was one of the authors that helped to draft the 1948 bill of human rights.

This is only a very small sample of the incredible innovations discovered by female scientists, engineers and advocates. This does not mention the achievements of female monarchs and political leaders who changed their countries for the better. It would be a very different world today without th e influence of these incredible women.

You really want to debate over this? Look at your list, you want me to post men's achievements?

Anyways, keep your breast covered and be happy because behind every great man, there's a great woman. In other words, we can't live without you ;)

1 person likes this

You really want to debate over this? Look at your list, you want me to post men's achievements?

Anyways, keep your breast covered and be happy because behind every great man, there's a great woman. In other words, we can't live without you ;)

My post was in response to your statement that all major discoveries and innovations have been made by men, which I countered by providing examples of the achievements of women in these fields.

Thanks for the advice about covering my breasts. Maybe you'd feel a burka would be appropriate attire? At least then my sinful body would not be exposed to men who have no self control over their sexual urges.

2 people like this

My post was in response to your statement that all major discoveries and innovations have been made by men, which I countered by providing examples of the achievements of women in these fields.

Thanks for the advice about covering my breasts. Maybe you'd feel a burka would be appropriate attire? At least then my sinful body would not be exposed to men who have no self control over their sexual urges.

Your breast covered, I meant women as a whole in relation to the article not you personally. Now, a burka? You see the extreme? I've been saying forever in this forum that life is all about a gray area! You went from showing nipples to a burka? Talk about being extreme!

Anyways! I love it, reminds me of the game Battle of the Sexes, so Matt, are you with me or you're gonna pull a bruce jenner? Ha!

1 person likes this

"Life is all about a gray area"

"Are you going to side with my specific view or are you a trans woman?"

To answer your question, if you're ever wondering if I'm on your side on any issue, the answer is probably no.

2 people like this

"Life is all about a gray area"

"Are you going to side with my specific view or are you a trans woman?"

It's obviously a joke! I'm mocking the Bush clan!

It's obviously a joke! I'm mocking the Bush clan!

Well, that's some relevant satire right there.

I think this issue is a prime example of the competing philosophies of feminism. One promotes absolute equal rights and is blind to gendered issues hence ‘if men can go topless women should be able to as well’. Another accepts that women and men are different and hence to have ‘true’ equality will need to have different rights leaning more towards substantive as opposed to formal equality.

As some other posters have expressed I think the different sexualisation is the pivotal issue. In the western culture I’m generally opposed to female toplessness unless in socially accepted areas ie nude beaches and I strongly promote breastfeeding mothers’ rights to breast (and nipple) exposure wherever and whenever in order to feed their child without shame or condemnation though preferably conducted in a modest manner. I wouldn’t be opposed to men covering up aswell though it would be rather strange as it would require chest underwear for men to get the same skin exposure as women….Now there’s an idea! Or would we have to cover our abs aswell…and muscled arms…(I guess that highlights a different issue – women’s breasts/body parts are generally sexualised irrespective of their condition as long as they exists whereas men’s sexualisation depends far more on condition.)

Conversely, in contexts where breasts aren’t as sexualised ie tribal cultures, nudist communities I’m fine with their exposure. Though it poses problems when we have western sexualisation mixing into that culture….

So for me it’s more of an issue of is the desexualisation of sexual/sensual organs desirable in the first place and what is a modest way of desexualising if it is desired. For the first point I can see how radical desexualisation would decrease contemporary sex-saturated/sexualised culture and increase perception/valuation of ‘real’ bodies and could thus pose a benefit. Conversely, keeping certain areas private and special only for spouses offers another element of intimacy to relationships/marriage in mutual exclusivity. The maintenance of sexualisation of breasts also presents a degree of power/influence over men in how it is used and expressed.

As for the second point I disagree with the youtube clip on how to achieve desexualisation. I would support a culture change focused primarily on marketing/advertising regulation, personal dress codes, and possibly increasing nudity in private settings such as workplaces :blink: . As such I think it would need to be a far slower culture change than these activists are trying to achieve and considering the globalised and networked contemporary society it would be quite hard; it would be a lot easier in an isolated society.

I wouldn’t be opposed to men covering up aswell though it would be rather strange as it would require chest underwear for men to get the same skin exposure as women….Now there’s an idea!

So which name for these undergarments do you think is better: 'bro' or 'man-zier'?
3 people like this

I support whatever Invincible has to say on the topic. Haha

But also......I think that "freeing the nipple" will only INCREASE women being seen as sex objects. I think this women are naive. CS Lewis in Mere Christianity mentions that there are certain society standards versus moral standards in public for modesty. For instance....walking around in a bra and underwear is seen as taboo whereas bikinis are not. I have actually even recently changed this because I don't like showing skin and I finally have a one piece bathing suit :D Anyway, I LITERALLY deleted this good guy friend I had off of Facebook for years for posting that FTN thing. Women get turned on by women as well by women nudity and I don't need people dragging my spirit side down into carnal things, spamming up my feed with images of nude women. I always delete people off Instagram or any social media who post nude things or half naked women being objectified like craaaaaazzy. He wasn't Christian but I DEFINITELY thought he was better than that. But yeah. I get what these women are doing, but I think women's bodies should be covered up, and saved for your future spouse. How would he or she feel if his friend at work suddenly had a photo of you naked for his private sessions? It's just disrespectful, and God made our bodies freely but once Eve ate the apple, that set the standard for the need to cover up genitals.

5 people like this

How would he or she feel if his friend at work suddenly had a photo of you naked for his private sessions?

Now you're just giving me the creeps!! But yes, that is something to consider when any nudity takes place while the sexualised perspective remains. Considering people and informational mobility, achieving such a state seems downright impossible. Even if the whole of New York suddently becomes desexualised there's still the issue of tourists taking snaps  :mad: Public places are no longer safe places....

I honestly don't understand how FTN will increase women being seen as sex objects.

1 person likes this

Are you telling me that if a topless man and woman walked side by side, that the woman should be arrested? I don't know... Something about that doesn't feel right to me morally.

2 people like this

I don't see what personal or religious views on modesty have to do with what other people should be legally prohibited from doing. Want to save the sight of your nude breasts for your spouse? Awesome, don't go topless! Why should other women be legally required to follow your views on modesty?

I also don't entirely get what the level of sexualization of breasts has to do with anything. If breasts should be legally hidden due to their sexualization in the culture, then why not require women to wear sports bras under turtle necks? Otherwise, her boobs are going to be glanced at, gazed at, leered at, and mentally undressed no matter how clothed they are as long as they're somewhat visible. But maybe you only care about the nipple, in which case, why?

Women get turned on by women as well by women nudity

This is...interesting to me... aKM1y5U.gif (edit: assuming you're talking about straight women)

Anyway, I LITERALLY deleted this good guy friend I had off of Facebook for years for posting that FTN thing. Women get turned on by women as well by women nudity and I don't need people dragging my spirit side down into carnal things, spamming up my feed with images of nude women...He wasn't Christian but I DEFINITELY thought he was better than that.

Seems harsh. And that last part...how someone views nudity doesn't seem like an issue that indicates how good someone is, but maybe that's just me.

How would he or she feel if his friend at work suddenly had a photo of you naked for his private sessions?

Well if a guy was jerking it to a photo of my wife topless that she'd posted somewhere for all to see, I wouldn't really care. Wouldn't want to know in the first place, actually... but if I had knowledge of the guy purposefully sneaking a photo without permission for that purpose, I'd tell him to delete the photo, and we'd have a problem if he didn't. I'm not familiar with laws on the issue so he might be perfectly allowed to do that legally, not sure.

God made our bodies freely but once Eve ate the apple, that set the standard for the need to cover up genitals.

I'll leave the religious part alone, but breasts aren't genitals. But maybe I'm nitpicking.

Now you're just giving me the creeps!! But yes, that is something to consider when any nudity takes place while the sexualised perspective remains. Considering people and informational mobility, achieving such a state seems downright impossible. Even if the whole of New York suddently becomes desexualised there's still the issue of tourists taking snaps  :mad: Public places are no longer safe places....

Why would that be a consideration in lawmaking? People get photos of them in public posted on the internet without their permission or all the time. Why would them being nude to any extent, in a place where nudity is allowed, change anything? Something to consider for people that don't want nude pictures of themselves on the internet, certainly.

4 people like this

People get photos of them in public posted on the internet without their permission or all the time. Why would them being nude to any extent, in a place where nudity is allowed, change anything?

Precisely my point. I wasn't proposing a change in law. The fact it is a public place inherently limits the possibility of privacy. Thus if you care not to have nude pics of yourself spreading to all corners of the internet then don't be nude in public. As for the legal basis for prohibition of public nudity...that's a different issue.

I also thought of something else to add. It's possible if someone who knew who you were took a photo of you or you posted it on

One that it could show up in a google search by a job you either currently have or want to have. I know for me Im still trying to get an old MySpace photo off that just comes up in a google search, not even one that is current because when you click on the picture in automatically changes. Though unlikely, it's POSSIBLE this little stunt could cost you your future or part of it, IF you're wanting a professional job should someone post you or your name pulls up a photo, someone else shows your boss, etc etc.... Anything going on the internet usually stays on the internet.

1 person likes this

Will have to add one to the list of my deal breakers in relationships ''Openly shows breasts in public for all to see''

I feel like if this went up for a vote a lot of men would say free the nipple (and for the wrong reasons of course lol ) I also think rape crime might slightly increase and that people would start fighting in court about groping boobs now that its ''Not sexual" also a lot more of that fondle business for the public to see. ''Un-Sexualizing it , If that ever even happened, would probably not be the smoothest ride. 

as for the burka remarks they remind me of this picture tumblr_m28te0oiLY1r9ljffo1_500.jpg

It be interesting for the WTM community because there would always be the opportunity for that one waiter to show up, The one that says ''I am a waiter but i openly show my breasts in public and i cant seem to get a relationship with another waiter because all men think i am a sex object''

1 person likes this

Egads, MerelyARumor, wouldn't you find it strange if a women's deal breaker was "Openly shows cheat in public"? I would wager that a majority men of be disqualified or those who have been in a pool or at the beach.

Don't you feel something wrong in a situation consisting of a topless man and woman but only the woman is arrested and goes to jail and stands trial? Nothing feels wrong about that at all?

^ It is that situation that would force me to vote yes. And I am sure a lot of men would feel that way too because it is fair and not because of whatever you're thinking.

1 person likes this

welcome would you be ok with with your rebellious teenage daughter exposing her chest in public at school for all eyes to see?

i would find it strange if that was a womans dealbreaker, but i would understand it at least, and i would feel a little sorry for them because it be really hard to find someone who met that criteria. Harder than even finding a waiter who hasnt kissed , or a waiter who hasn't been in a relationship yet

I myself hate being topless in public because it makes me feel uncomfortable, and would be SUPER OK if they made men have to wear tops again...because some of the men who use that freedom...blechh xD

i feel like we are headed the wrong direction

2 people like this

^^^ Hahaha I have that pic. It's great! I find it ironic that the most ardent protesters for nipple exposure covered their face (mostly) instead....Doesn't that kind of defeat the point?

Women can go topless in NY as long as it is not for a business.

Free it, it's not a sexual organ. They're sacks of mammary glands to feed babies.

1 person likes this

No one's suggesting that women go topless at school, at professional places of business, restaurants, theaters, etc.  Men can't go topless in those places either.

The movement merely suggests that women be allowed to go topless the same places men can, i.e. beaches, pools, public parks, etc.

2 people like this

Ill say this one exception I found refreshing. Although I would NEVER, I saw on tv there were two women on the beach, each with one breast who had had breast cancer. They were topless on the beach to show off their one breast, I think for like a breast cancer walk or day event in the area or something, and were completely touched and like almost in tears that they had found another one like themselves. I though that was completely endearing, and they had seen death and conquered it. If I had a son I wouldn't let him stare if he were staring all weird but I found it really heartwarming. Im still a little iffy about this but if there ever were a reason, I think this would be it.