Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jegsy Scarr

Words and phrases you misunderstood as a child

17 posts in this topic

Hey, guys!

Inspired by a Reddit thread I found hilarious, what words and phrases did you misunderstand as a child?

http://www.reddit.com/comments/dxosj

1. When I was about five or six, I pronounced "Satan" as "satin" and vice versa. When my parents tried to correct me, I stubbornly insisted that I was right, because I thought that the long "ay" sounded softer and smoother and was therefore more fabric-y (I guess I thought "ah" just sounded like a cat coughing up a furball, or whatever).

2. There was an electrical appliances store near me which always had a sign saying "Look no further" (i.e. we've got the best deals right here). I didn't know what "further" meant and assumed it said "father". I imagined a conversation between an excited dad looking at all the technology (like mine did) and an exasperated daughter: "Look!!!" "No, father..."

BONUS: My gran told me this one about my uncle (her son). When he was a little kid, he used to get scared when she tucked him in at night, so she asked him what was wrong. He said he was afraid of ghostie-men. She assured him that ghostie-men didn't exist. He insisted that they'd learned about them in school. Catholic school. "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghostie-men."

If I think of more, I'll post them!

xxx

4 people like this

I thought what-a-burger was pronounced water burger and proceeded to think the burgers were made out of water. :D

Also for awhile, I wasn't able to pronounce my R, so everything with an are got a lovely W in it.

I have a really embarrassing one - when I was little my mum told me that if I ate too much chocolate then I'd get fat. Shortly afterwards, and to my mum's horror, I walked up to a random pregnant lady and (seeing the bump) said 'I know what you've been doing'! So awkward!

6 people like this

I have a really embarrassing one - when I was little my mum told me that if I ate too much chocolate then I'd get fat. Shortly afterwards, and to my mum's horror, I walked up to a random pregnant lady and (seeing the bump) said 'I know what you've been doing'! So awkward!

Gosh, that's hilarious! That actually reminds me...When I was about nine or ten, I'd heard the phrase "sleeping together" when people talked about babies, so I thought it meant literally sleeping in the same bed led to babies. I then learned about eggs and sperm and whatnot, and I thought, "Wait, but how does that work...Oh, I know! The sperm cells swim out of the man onto the bed and then they swim over the mattress up into the lady to the egg!" It was clarified for me very shortly after that, but I did put the two together like that at first...

xxx

3 people like this

I can't think of any words or phrases but I do remember a funny memory from childhood. I was pouring what I thought was orange juice into a cup for my brother and me. I'm glad I tasted it first. It turned out not to be orange juice but chicken broth.

On the otherhand, my nephew pointed out of the window and shouted, "Salad Bowl!" It took me a while to figure out what he meant. He was referring to the gardener whose name was Salvador.

3 people like this

Apple Juice. You know how most apple juices say 'From Concentrate' on them? Well I always thought Concentrate was the name of the brand, there were just dozens of different types of apple juice all from the company Concentrate.

2 people like this

@Jegsy: Your Satan/satin thing reminds me of the scene in 'Wreck-It Ralph' where Satan says his name is pronounced "Sat-een".

2 people like this

I thought what-a-burger was pronounced water burger and proceeded to think the burgers were made out of water. :D

Also for awhile, I wasn't able to pronounce my R, so everything with an are got a lovely W in it.

That's cool. Like Wabbit season.

2 people like this

When I was younger I used to think Lewis and Clark were one person. Like Lewison Clark. haha now I'm a history minor...

5 people like this

When I was younger I used to think Lewis and Clark were on person. Like Lewison Clark. haha now I'm a history minor...

I actually think I thought it was their first names and that Lewis was a woman. Maybe I was thinking of Louisa?? But yeah, I thought they were a married couple that went on the adventure together.

Even after I knew better, I would have to make myself not think of him as a woman. lol  

2 people like this

I thought 'Minute' in Minute Maid was pronounced mīˈn(y)oÍžot (as in small or tiny) instead of minit (you know... 1/60th of an hour). That went on for years....

When I was younger, I didn't really understand what the term "Kick the bucket" meant. I thought it was a dangerous game that would instantly kill you that you played by literally kicking a bucket. Because in a kids book I read the main character kicked her mom's watering can (I can't remember if it was a plastic or metal one, but it was filled with water and she hurt her big toe), because she's not supposed to play kick the bucket. 

1 person likes this

I live in a country where English is not spoken that well, but where folks think painting a sign in English is pretty awesome - and they misspell all the time. So as a child, when I saw "To-let" signs on property, I used to wonder why some people actually had to tell everyone they had a toilet :).

I actually go around photographing hilariously misspelled signboards. The last one was outside a hotel where they were selling honey hoppers (a food made out of rice flour and coconut treacle), only, they had a sign outside that said "horny hopers" :).

3 people like this

When I was younger, I didn't really understand what the term "Kick the bucket" meant. I thought it was a dangerous game that would instantly kill you that you played by literally kicking a bucket. Because in a kids book I read the main character kicked her mom's watering can (I can't remember if it was a plastic or metal one, but it was filled with water and she hurt her big toe), because she's not supposed to play kick the bucket. 

This reminds me of one! When I was little, we heard a lot about this game called the "jeu du foulard", which translates more or less to "scarf game" or "handkerchief game". The purpose was to induce hallucinations by strangling yourself with a scarf. Of course, at the time, they didn't tell us what the game was, just that it was very dangerous (several kids died playing it).

Around the same time, we used to play this game in PE called "le foulard". This time, the "foulard" was more of a handkerchief, and we would all sit in a circle with our hands behind our backs while one kid walked around and dropped the handkerchief in someone's hands. The person who had been picked would have to chase the other kid around the circle until they were caught or managed to sit down in the circle.

It took me ages to figure out that there were two different games… All the while I was wondering how kids could die chasing each other with handkerchiefs, and why the teachers said the game was so dangerous when they let us play it in PE!

2 people like this

I saw something in town that just reminded me of another one.

In Switzerland, though the official language (in my area, at least) is French, some of the signs in shops are written in English. This happens especially during sales - though the word in French is "soldes", usually it just says "sale". In French, however, "sale" means "dirty"… which made me wonder why shops would advertise dirty clothes, and most importantly, who were the crazy people who bought them!

1 person likes this