Jada

Would you be insulted..

28 posts in this topic

I don't think insulted is the right word, but I don't want one, at least with my current perspective. I said before on this topic that it seems disingenuous to declare "Til death do us part" while making provision for a pre-death parting, and I still pretty much feel that way. I have my doubts, though. On one hand, I want to see divorce as a non-option for our marriage. On the other hand, I can't imagine staying married to my wife in the event of something like adultery. I feel, though, that in the event of an adultery-caused divorce, we could be amicable about it and not need a prenup. I'll end as I do on a lot of tough topics: I dunno.

5 people like this

I suppose any possible insult would more arise out of the possible content of the prenup. I see it as a valuable legal mechanism that operates for more things than divorce. While I believe marriage is for life only to be severed by death or adultery and my partner should hold the same belief, beliefs do change. Having closely observed this (and the adultery and pain that has ensued), I would not support an adulterous partner basically not only brutalising their spouse emotionally but also exploiting them financially. Hence I would most likely suggest one myself and in its drafting we would reaffirm the values that our marriage is built on.

1 person likes this

I agree and understand in certain situations they are necessary, but I personally would never get one. When two people marry they share everything in life, and that means finances too.