Natureboy

Virgin Territory

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, what do you think about the new television show called "Virgin Territory" on MTV? Have you seen it yet? I just heard about it last night when one of my friends on facebook posted about it. I think they've aired only two episodes so far. I'll attach a clip from the show.

I just watched the trailer for it on YouTube and it seems alright. Just a show, documentary type show that chronicles the lives of some young virgins all of who appear to be in their low 20s. One which includes a girl trying to lose her virginity prior to marriage. Seems interesting, a little awkward, but worth a watch.

*watches trailer*

Well, at least it's better than '16 and pregnant'  :lol:

Honestly though, the whole premise of the show seems kinda creepy and exploitative.  When you make someone's virginity the highlight of the show, it kinda comes off as, "Hey, let's chronicle the lives of these strange people!", especially when you consider MTV's target audience.

4 people like this

One of the show's producers emailed me, and I set up a phone interview with her. She encouraged my now-husband (fiancé at the time) to apply for the show. When I mentioned we were about to get married, and thus wouldn't be virgins all that longer, she asked if MTV could film our wedding. True story.

7 people like this

it kinda comes off as, "Hey, let's chronicle the lives of these strange people!"

That seems to be TV's #1 way of generating an easy profit these days.

1 person likes this

Haha, no, it's not me. I politely declined their offer. We already offended a few family members by only having our parents and siblings at our wedding. I figured they would be pissed if MTV made the guest list.

6 people like this

Now that there is no music, I avoid MTV like the plague D:

They should rename the network.

2 people like this

They should rename the network.

I agree. I've thought that for a long time :)

1 person likes this

At least MTV still occasionally does music related stuff. I don't think TLC (The Learning Channel) has done anything befitting it's name in a long, long time. Unless learning about how strange/horrible/desperate-for-fame some people are counts....  :(

2 people like this

I watched the first episode last night. I actually think it was pretty even-handed...

So the episode followed four virgins (three of them, I think will be in the next episode, too). Two were WTM.

Dominique was 21, and was waiting till marriage. She was a pretty unstereotypical virgin, going out to clubs with friends, dressed very stylishly (and not exactly modestly, dare I say?). Very down to earth, funny ("No ringy, no dingy!") but we saw a lot of deep stuff with her. Her mum was remarrying after being divorced for six years, and she was pretty shocked, thinking how fast it all was.

Kyle was 20 (ish. They were all about 20-ish, I think). He wasn't WTM, but he also didn't want to rush into a relationship and wanted to take things slow when he did get a girlfriend. This episode followed him as he was struggling with a way to tell his friends he was a virgin. Basically, when he was with them, they would all joke around and talk about all the sex they were having, and he'd have to nod along or make things up. He'd heard his friends making fun of virgins, and was scared they might turn on him, too, if they found out. The episode ended with him finally having to tell them. At first, they were convinced he was lying, then they were shocked, and finally began telling him how they'd have to find him some girl, so Kyle ended the show with kind of mixed feelings about them.

Mikaela was actively looking for someone to lose her virginity to, although she didn't want it to be just anyone. So this episode just featured her talking to this guy she liked, and eventually by the end, she was kissing him.

Lisa was also WTM, but was getting married in a few days (hence she's not going to be in the next episode, since her journey is "over", I guess). Her fiancé wasn't a virgin, but had been WTM since he'd became a Christian. She was probably the only one who was a "stereotypical" virgin, but even so, her segments weren't too bad. We saw her and her fiancé talking to their pastor, who was giving them advice about how it'd probably take time for the sex to be "good," and not to expect too much. We also saw how her dad was very sick, in a nursing home, and was upset at the thought he might not be there for her wedding. Eventually, though, he did manage to be there on the day, and it was a lovely wedding. The wedding night, she afterwards described in a kind of "It'll get better from here" kind of thing.

So, all in all, it was pretty good (for MTV, anyway), and I'll watch the next episode when it's on.

xxx

1 person likes this

Hrm...I feel sorry for some of the people on this show. I get the feeling that the participants in this show are going to get set up to look foolish...

1 person likes this