Married at First Sight

19 posts in this topic

I just heard about a new reality TV show about to air called 'Married at First Sight'.  A panel of experts including a psychologist, a sociologist, a spiritualist and a 'sexologist' narrow down a pool of applicants to match three couples together based on compatibility.  These couples then agree to get married - the catch being that they will only meet their match at the altar on the day of their wedding! The show follows the couples as they are matched together and charts their first few weeks of married life, after which they have to decide whether to stay together or go their separate ways.

http://www.fyi.tv/shows/married-at-first-sight

This show makes me more than a little uncomfortable - I feel it makes a mockery out of marriage and that most of the participants are on the show just to get their faces on TV rather than to seriously find a life partner (one of the female participants was on The Bachelor previously).  

That being said, I am not opposed to arranged marriages and I'm interested to see which criteria the experts use to match the couples together.  I'm also keen to see if any of the marriages actually work out - does a match that seems good on paper translate well into real life?

What are your thoughts on this - interesting social experiment or a tasteless, headline-grabbing joke?

2 people like this

Does anyone know if they become legally married or do they just have a ceremony and "marry"? If it's the former, that's really ballsy and thus I wouldn't be surprised if a divorce lawyer came up with this idea to make some money, lol. 

Either way, it's just another instance of society devaluing marriage. For it to be done like this, it'd almost have to be. At least when they arrange marriages in various cultures, it's still a serious deal to them.

5 people like this

Does anyone know if they become legally married or do they just have a ceremony and "marry"? If it's the former, that's really ballsy and thus I wouldn't be surprised if a divorce lawyer came up with this idea to make some money, lol. 

From what I can gather from reading the promo material,  it is a legally binding marriage. 

Also, can you imagine breaking the news to your family that you're going on TV to marry a complete stranger?! My Dad would hit the roof!

post-19479-0-00865200-1404914147_thumb.g

5 people like this

I can't imagine agreeing to get married to someone you don't love, let alone someone you've never met. It'd be one thing if they say, matched these people up, and then followed them for a year to see what happened, but...legal marriage? Ew.

I dunno...I'm kinda intrigued by how this'll play out. Then again, it is a reality TV show, so I'm pretty sure that everyone's acting.

1 person likes this

Even in arranged marriages, you tend to meet each other first. And even if you don't, there's a big difference between having a spouse chosen by your family who know you and love you, and having them picked by some panel of "experts" and a TV show who ultimately only care about the ratings.

Plus, from a Catholic perspective, if they're entering into the marriage not "till death do us part" but rather "for a few weeks, and then we'll decide whether or not to split up," then the marriages would be null and void right from the start.

xxx

1 person likes this

I heard about this last night on TV. I think this kind of stuff is awful. The world takes marriage way to lightly now. :(

2 people like this

I would be okay with like the set up part maybe but not marrying someone, that's a bit scary. They could be ugly......

1 person likes this

I'd do it. So what if it goes wrong. I'll get a divorce and learn from it all. It's better than being single indefinitely. If I had enough money and a desire to be married, I'd do it now.

1 person likes this

These morally decadent "reality" shows like the Bachelor and the Bachelorette are the real reasons why marriage is no longer sacred anymore.

And to think that these shows wouldn't have such a huge cultural impact if women, their primary audience, didn't obsess over them :P

3 people like this

I seen this. Yeah its crazy, I wouldn't be able to do this. You can look at it two ways. Most people marry for love right? But 40% of marraiges fail now a day... Some people marry for convenience, comfort and prosperity, arranged marriages like in the Indian tradition marry for the sames reasons, not love and these types of marriages last much longer on average. Down side to that is how happy are they with their partners, how much passion to they really have for each other. I rather marry for all the reason above with love and compatibility being front center. This show is sort of like an arranged marriage but attempting to add scientific compatibility, so in therory it may work. Would I agree to date someone they matched for me sure- like e-harmony, but marry.... naw, I'm not sleeping with someone I don't love.

They should change the show to "Love at First Sight" and instead of having this forced marriage upon meeting, match up people to date, and then see how things go from there. Everyone should be looking for commitment anyway right? So if their science proves correct, then the marriages would ultimately transpire anyway. But if for some reason it didn't, they wouldn't be putting couples into a legally binding contract that would be broken within weeks. But.... you know... that isn't NEARLY as interesting as the whole idea of being married to someone you've never even seen before. Gotta do what brings in the viewers. *rolls eyes*

2 people like this

Ugh, I can't believe *this* is what the Bio Chanel was spun in to. And apparently this show has brought in triple-digit ratings increases. Society is just so awful sometimes. It makes me so angry to think of all the same-sex couples who aren't allowed to legally marry after decades of love and commitment, contrasted with this show which is basically heterosexual couples deliberately spitting in the face of everything marriage is supposed to be. Awful, awful.

2 people like this

Society is just so awful sometimes. It makes me so angry to think of all the same-sex couples who aren't allowed to legally marry after decades of love and commitment, contrasted with this show which is basically heterosexual couples deliberately spitting in the face of everything marriage is supposed to be. Awful, awful.

YES.

Nevertheless... apparently two of the three couples from the original Danish show (upon which this show is based) stayed married, so I kind of want to give this show a chance and see how it plays out.  I still think the premise is awful, but I hope it turns out well, at least for the sake of the couples involved.

1 person likes this

I do think in order to see if the arrangements are truly successful, you'd have to check back in at least a few years, not just a few months. I can understand people being into the idea of having experts help them find a partner (basically a super-scientific version of the village match-maker), especially in a place like NYC where the dating scene is notoriously rough. However, I think taking things all the way to marriage without ever seeing the person, especially for the sake of TV fame, is never going to be a good foundation to build a marriage on.

How would you even explain this type of thing to your kids? It seems like this would send them the wrong message growing up.

2 people like this

I think they should make it the dating show that it really is, rather than a marriage show. Otherwise they're comparing marriage to dating, and people watching will think that there's no point to marriage. Though divorce is doing that anyway these days... Especially with celebrities who seem to think staying married more than a week is a triumph.

4 people like this