Petalouda

What is your dream job?

24 posts in this topic

I know there is already a dream/fantasy future topic, but that leaves a wide span of possible answers. I want to know, what is your dream job? How do you picture yourself using your gifts and talents??

I've always wanted to be a translator. When I was in a little girl, saw a court proceeding for someone who didn't speak English (he spoke Spanish). I thought the court interpreter was the coolest person in the world! I've always been good at picking up languages, but I didn't think I could ever put that to use (at the wise old age of 7, I thought my future was hopeless :P) When I was in 10th grade, I had the good fortune to speak with a literary translator about her job. The passion in her voice and the joy she clearly took in her job helped me make up my mind. I want to be a translator! Though my sights are set on intelligence; I want to work for the CIA!

What about you?

4 people like this

Can I say having no job is my dream job? :P

Honestly, on every job I've worked so far, I've had really bad anxiety and hated working. So what I'd love to do is somehow establish a passive income so I can find my passion(s) and do that with the (hopefully) 40-60 years I have left before returning to nonexistence, or whatever. I'm at a point right now where I either have to find a way to work for myself, or suck it up, get medication if I have to, and put to use the engineering degree I just spent four years getting. I hate decisions...

That's really cool though, the CIA linguistics thing. I considered aiming for that before I started college (I considered a bunch of things, though. lol)

4 people like this

Fantasy dream job: NASCAR driver

Realistic dream job: Senior Sports Writer

1 person likes this

I'm lucky enough to be already working in my dream job. I'd like to carry on along this career path and continue to work in international education. I'd like to also get some credentials so I can offer formal college admissions advice as well.

3 people like this

An artist. Do just be able to draw everyday would be wonderful, and I wish it would pay the bills. But an artist only makes it big after they're dead, unfortunately. Even though there are very few that make it big when they are alive.

Matthew, I'm sure everyone experiences that to some degree :P I can't tell you how many times I changed my mind. But then, I enjoy working.

What church do you attend, Raz?

samaye, I think if you want to make it big as an artist while you're alive, you have to go mad. That seems to be the pattern. :)

3 people like this

I've had to think of this a lot lately, now that I'm entering my final year of my undergraduate degree in psychology.

I always had an idea of what I wanted to do. But right now, when I need to decide most, I find I have too many options.

(1) Researcher.  I would study either the psychological foundations of prejudice (primarily speciesism) and the means by which prejudice can be reduced, OR the connection between memory, emotion, and music. Or perhaps the nonverbal communication occurring between musicians during live performance.

(2) Musician. It's always been a regret not studying music after high school, and I've been getting more and more into my music again - singing and playing bass.  I love to write instrumental pieces that create an atmosphere, providing a rich, raw emotional story.

(3) Teacher. Working with children with physical disabilities (cerebral palsy, sensory impairment, etc.) and psychological difficulties ("autism", "mental retardation", etc.) would be incredibly rewarding.  Making a child's day, helping them achieve what they yearn to, would give so much meaning to my life.

(4) Counselor.  I've always naturally given advice to others, lifting their spirits and helping them solve deep personal problems.  A few weeks ago, I helped a girl down from an anxiety attack - it was so natural doing so, and it felt great to see her relax and finally smile.

(5) Police officer.  Not a likely pick for a softie, but paying the bills by saving lives would be amazing. I've always had a hero complex. (Frankly, if superhero was a career option, that would be my first pick.) I would like to work up to being a detective or a hostage negotiator for the SWAT team.  Both could provide opportunities to empathically engage troubled people, giving them sympathy and understanding when everyone else gives them only blame.

*(6) Regardless of these careers, I would also like to, on the side, be a rights activist for nonhuman animals.  Prejudice toward nonhumans results in the longest-standing and most violent genocide in history, and to see it come to an end by educating others on how to live compassionately by changing their lives in simple ways, I would know I am fulfilling my life's purpose.

4 people like this

I want to do anything that places my gifts to serve those who need help. Placing my life and soul on the line for those who need that kind of sacrifice. I get to wake up in the morning in a bed, eat food, and drink running water. When there are millions of my fellow man, my fellow brothers/sisters, whom need someone to just show them their worth giving a damn.

1. A traveling Nurse

Because I'm the kind of person to give you damn good medical care, a hell of a blessing, and pray for you until the end of days

4 people like this

I want to do anything that places my gifts to serve those who need help. Placing my life and soul on the line for those who need that kind of sacrifice. I get to wake up in the morning in a bed, eat food, and drink running water. When there are millions of my fellow man, my fellow brothers/sisters, whom need someone to just show them their worth giving a damn.

1. A traveling Nurse

Because I'm the kind of person to give you damn good medical care, a hell of a blessing, and pray for you until the end of days

I am going to be a traveling nurse of some sort.

The one dream that I have had since I were a toddler is to be a missionary so that is going to my career nursing will pay the bills.

Cora Jay, that is cool. I used to toy with the idea of doing something like that. But I can't see sick people all day. I'm too much of a baby, and I just couldn't take it.

Haitigirl9, it doesn't pay the bills, but it sure would be fun!

Paul, my mom works with low income, mentally ill patients, and I serve with special needs kids at my church. I think the world definitely needs more teachers who are willing to dedicate time and patience to those who need it, but too often don't get it.

2 people like this

My dream job is to be an Art Conservator! imagine being able to handle those artifacts which no others can hold or get as close to. I guess i am being a nerd but yeah that is my dream job. 

3 people like this

My dream job would be a stay at home dad so I can spend all of my time with the kids! :D

I want to be a music therapist and work at a children's hospital :) I am 3.5 weeks into my 6 month music therapy internship at a children's hospital and I love it! I get to sing to babies and play music with kids all day :) I get to help make the hospital stay a little bit better. It's hard seeing some very sick kids or those with horrible trauma stories, but it's incredibly rewarding. It just would be nice to get paid for this eventually!

6 people like this

Miss Chuyaco, I must be a nerd too, because that sounds super interesting! I'm a big fan of Russian artistic metalwork and old murals. (if anyone laughs at me for that, just don't tell me about it)

Amarillo, I love that answer.

DanceSingLove that is so beautiful! I can bet that would be difficult, but then altruism is never easy, is it? Thank you for doing that, I love hearing about things like that.