CrystalFaerie

Supernatural

20 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of the TV show Supernatural? Religion makes up for a lot of the plot, and I was wondering how other people felt about it.

I'm always a bit bugged by the episodes that revolve around Pagan Gods demanding sacrifices, eating human flesh, etc. None of my Gods have been represented so far but it still makes me feel uncomfortable. Yes, human sacrifice is historically attested, but Pagan religions didn't revolve entirely around it. They seem to be getting a bit of a bad rap in my opinion - there are no "good" Pagans or Gods in the show. Another thing that bothered me was a couple of inaccuracies, for example, the "god" Samhain which they pronounced Sam-hayn. Samhain is actually the Celtic name for Halloween, not the name of a God, and it's pronounced Sow-en. Saying it was the name of a God is like saying Easter is another name for Jesus Christ  <_<

Christianity is a major part of the show, so I was wondering what the Christians on here thought about the interpretation of their religion. Are their many inaccuracies as well? And do you think it's portrayed in a negative way? I've noticed there are a few sympathetic priests, and elements such as holy water are presented as positive and useful, but the whole thing about God withdrawing from the apocalypse and angels being basically heartless doesn't seem too accurate. So I'm curious to know your opinions.

I absolutely love Supernatural and can't stop watching it, but this is the one thing that doesn't sit well with me.n

I look at it as pure fiction. Any stories they they tell is made up, weather it is about mine or anybody else's religion. They turned the archangel Gabriel into Pan, really? Hollywood always likes to warp everything

I've had some people tell me I would really like Supernatural, and others tell me I would eventually become extremely frustrated by it. I have a long list of shows that people who know me well insist I try, so I haven't gotten around to Supernatural yet.

I really like Supernatural but some of my Christian friends say God would not want me watching that. I look at it like Samaye. It's fiction. Keep it in your mind as such and you'll be okay. It is a really good show in my opinion. It's not just about demons and angels. Its about family and brotherhood and sacrifice (the good kind)

Of course, they can be far off from the truth though. Lol

2 people like this

Yeah I like Supernatural. Also CrystalFaerie I feel like any fiction show that deals with any religion is going to get stuff wrong. I don't know if it is because they don't do their research, simply don't care or they don't think it will make good TV. I usually am careful anyways about things portraying my religion because some shows just can be cruel or change it so it is unrecognizable. I don't think they are trying to be offensive in their portrayal necessarily I just think they haven't done their research or are sticking to the popular cliched view on things.

Good points made. I do try to look at it as fiction, but there are some moments when you just think, really? You got that wrong?

Nicole, that is exactly why I watch it - because it's about brotherhood and sacrifice and so many other things. Also, the plot is really well written :D

1 person likes this

Personally I don't like supernatural.  Watched only one season [season 5] because a friend of mine told me its a great show.  But didnt like the idea where Castiel said he is god ~ as i could remember..  [hence i wrote it with a small g.. because there is only one living God].  Yes you can view the show as fiction, but for me, it crossed the line, and walk on thin ice.

3 people like this

Strongly dislike the show. Saw one or two episodes and never watched again.

Personally I don't like supernatural.  Watched only one season [season 5] because a friend of mine told me its a great show.  But didnt like the idea where Castiel said he is god ~ as i could remember..  [hence i wrote it with a small g.. because there is only one living God].  Yes you can view the show as fiction, but for me, it crossed the line, and walk on thin ice.

I just finished watching season 5 and I don't recall Castiel saying he was god? There was one moment in the last episode when Dean asked him if he was god, but he replied that he wasn't. Or maybe you're referring to another moment in the show that I don't remember.

I just finished watching season 5 and I don't recall Castiel saying he was god? There was one moment in the last episode when Dean asked him if he was god, but he replied that he wasn't. Or maybe you're referring to another moment in the show that I don't remember.

SPOILER ALERT (In case you haven't seen season 6)

I think he is thinking of season 6. Castiel does think he is god on that one but you quickly see how that turns and makes it obvious he is not god and could never be God. 

2 people like this

Supernatural is my favorite show :). The chemistry between Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki is just magical in my opinion, I love watching their relationship as brothers. As a Christian the storyline is getting way ridiculous, but it's a fictional television show so, you know ;). It's kind of to be expected, they just finished the ninth season and the tenth is coming, gotta keep in interesting.

3 people like this

Or it could be an episode in season 6.  Season 5 i watched all the episodes, and about 4 episodes of season 6

I think there is some Catholicism mixed up with Christianity when it comes to "religion." Is paganism a religion? The pagans I've asked about it say no, because (to paraphrase) it's not a set of rules, but a way of life. I can dig it. But I think Supernatural just takes the names from mythology and stories and write them into a Hollywood interpretation. The show used to bother me, but it's fiction.

2 people like this

I've never seen the show, so I can't comment on that directly. But just in general, I've seen a wide range of portrayals of religion on TV.

One of the "better" portrayals I saw specifically of Catholicism was an episode of Grimm (awesome show). Just as a bit of background, this show is set in a universe where there are humanoid creatures called Wesen, which appear human but also have another nature within them, usually like that of an animal or a mythical creature (so we have two of the main characters who are wolf-like and fox-like, and ones who look almost like witches or zombies). In one episode, there's a kid who appears to be Wesen, but his parents have no idea. So when he starts having outbursts where he loses control and literally shape-shifts, they eventually resort to sending him for an exorcism.

So immediately, I thought, "Oh, boy, here we go: Catholic priests doing exorcisms - can't get more stereotyped than that." But I was actually pleasantly surprised. The priest and the deacon involved were portrayed as being nice guys just trying to help the child (and considering the circumstances of shape-shifting, it wasn't unreasonable to assume demonic possession). There was also a point where the deacon explicitly stated, "The Church only performs exorcisms when all other avenues - medical, psychological etc. - have been exhausted." I actually laughed. It was extremely obvious to me that the writers had just looked up what the Catechism said about exorcism, and copied it almost verbatim into the script. But heigh-ho, they actually thought to look up what the Catholic Church teaches, so I give them points for that!

One of the worst portrayals I've seen of Catholicism was perhaps in Glee. I remember when it came out on TV, it was advertised everywhere, and I was really looking forward to it. Then I watched the first ever episode. In it, I saw the very first Catholic character introduced midway through making out with her boyfriend. She was a complete and utter hypocrite, leader of the chastity club. She taught her club bizarre legalistic ideas (e.g. "do absolutely anything you want, and it's totally fine so long as it's not actual sex.")

But I actually turned the show off and never watched it again about midway through the episode, when one character mentions contraception, and the Catholic replies in a horrified tone, "Oh my God, you did not just say the C-word!" I don't think I was overreacted. If it had been a Jewish character, for example, and they had responded in kind to someone innocently mentioning a ham sandwich or getting a tattoo, then I think the show would get flamed for treating religious believers as if their beliefs were just stupid.

There was also that episode of Torchwood, where one character said, "I used to be Catholic, too. But you know what happened? I got over it." This was one of the main characters, not portrayed as a "bad" person, but I guess people will argue it could have been tongue-in-cheek. Either way, it gained an eye-roll from me!

I think there is some Catholicism mixed up with Christianity when it comes to "religion." Is paganism a religion? The pagans I've asked about it say no, because (to paraphrase) it's not a set of rules, but a way of life. I can dig it. But I think Supernatural just takes the names from mythology and stories and write them into a Hollywood interpretation. The show used to bother me, but it's fiction.

Not sure I understand you there. It'd be like saying, "There's some Protestantism mixed up with Christianity."

In any case, I'd say that Paganism counts as a religion. I think atheism counts, too. Some people say that religion is defined as a belief about a god/gods, so atheism isn't a religion. However, that would also mean that Buddhism isn't a religion, because it's also atheistic. And most people would agree that Buddhism is a religion. Therefore, I think religion could be defined specifically as a belief about God - including believing that there is no God, or that we can't know about God.

xxx

4 people like this

re·li·gion noun \ri-ˈli-jən\

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

1 person likes this

re·li·gion noun \ri-ˈli-jən\
: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

That's one definition, but that would then exclude Buddhism, which almost everyone would agree is a religion.

This is an interesting article:

http://www.strangenotions.com/is-atheism-a-religion/

But, to be fair, it's going to depend on how you define "religion", and that varies between different schools of thought. Plus, it's a word, and words change their meaning. I'm not particularly bothered, to be honest. I was just elaborating on the question of "Does Paganism count as a religion?"

xxx

2 people like this

I think the organized system aspect is pretty important to the definition of religion, though. I think it's totally possible to be a deist or an atheist who practices a religion (such as Christianity for a deist, or Buddhism for an atheist), and it's also totally possible to not be religious while being a deist or an atheist.

I think there is some Catholicism mixed up with Christianity when it comes to "religion."

Not sure I understand you there. It'd be like saying, "There's some Protestantism mixed up with Christianity."

Oooooh man. I was just waiting for Jegs to jump in on that one. lol

2 people like this

In any case, I'd say that Paganism counts as a religion. I think atheism counts, too. Some people say that religion is defined as a belief about a god/gods, so atheism isn't a religion. However, that would also mean that Buddhism isn't a religion, because it's also atheistic. And most people would agree that Buddhism is a religion. Therefore, I think religion could be defined specifically as a belief about God - including believing that there is no God, or that we can't know about God.

xxx

Is paganism a religion?

Yes, Paganism is a religion - or rather, a category of religion. Some Pagans are less religious than others and some Pagan paths are very lax, but others are strictly religious (such as Hellenic or Celtic Reconstructionists). I explain it in detail here if you're interested. (Lol, I'm starting to think I should follow in Jegsy's footsteps and do an "Ask a Pagan" thread…)

As for defining religion, I'd say it's the spiritual beliefs someone has about the world, whether they are "the Universe is only made of material things and anything supernatural is fake" to "God exists and this is the book he gave to humanity". So to me, Buddhism is a religion.

And back to Supernatural. Yes, I agree that all the gods in the series have in common with the real historical ones are their names ;)

1 person likes this