CrystalFaerie

How do you nourish your faith?

17 posts in this topic

I feel like I've been lacking a bit in the faith department lately, so I'm looking for ideas :)

Apart from the obvious church-going, how do you keep your faith strong? How do you live it every day?

1 person likes this

As you said: "...live it."  :)  I can only give advice from my perspective, but I think it can apply to any faith, really. I live according to the values that my faith teaches. I try to treat others with as much kindness, peace and respect as possible. I fail a lot and it takes a lot of practice--but that would be my next piece of advice. Practice what you believe in. No matter what you believe, no matter what your religion/faith is or even if you are a more secular person. "Practice what you preach." Some things really do get easier with practice, especially since we live in a world where many bad things happen and it is sometimes hard to stay positive and keep your faith strong. But it's better to try than to fall into the trap of cynicism. Try to live according to your values and make your faith not just one aspect of you, but a part of your whole lifestyle, instead of separate from it. (Sorry if that sounded too preachy.)

3 people like this

I agree with Jess, live out your faith. I also challenge myself with reading at least one chapter out of the Bible per day. Or if I feel like I need to approve another aspect of my faith such as my prayer life. I will challenge myself in that area by setting a goal. 

Recently, I've been challenging why I believe what I believe by reading up on the history of my church and reading from doubters and believers. It can challenge your faith but some of what I have read has built up my faith. If you love to learn this is a great thing to do. Although its best everyone does it so they know what they really believe and they can reinforce it in the future. 

6 people like this

I like what everyone has said above and they have great ideas.  I read my Bible and do my best to "live out my faith".  But for me, I also need to escape outside if I'm really struggling with something or just need to connect with God.  Getting out among His creation in nature helps me tremendously.  Out there, I don't take a phone or any other distractions and I find that I'm more centered and relaxed even if it's just a quick ten minute walk to clear my head and focus on God.  

4 people like this

Go make friends outside of church.

Make a friend who has never heard of the terms "grace of God." Make a friend who uses "Jesus Christ" as a substitute for profanity. Make a friend who hates organized religion. Make a friend who thinks Christians are crazy right-wing homophobes.

Then love them.

1 person likes this

Awesome advice guys. I do try to live according to my values and beliefs every day - it just kind of goes without saying :) But like everyone, I have slip-ups when I get into a situation and don't act accordingly. I'll try to pay more attention to that.

But for me, I also need to escape outside if I'm really struggling with something or just need to connect with God.  Getting out among His creation in nature helps me tremendously.  Out there, I don't take a phone or any other distractions and I find that I'm more centered and relaxed even if it's just a quick ten minute walk to clear my head and focus on God.  

Yes, going into nature is one of the things that works best for me. Unfortunately right now I live in an area without much nature :( But I'm moving away in a couple of weeks, so I'll look forward to spending more time in the middle of nowhere reflecting on my spirituality.

I also discovered an awesome blog that gives a really interesting perspective on a lot of my beliefs. Very thought-provoking :)

1 person likes this

Hey Frances, are you the creative type?  For a while I was seeing a Christian counselor and spiritual director.  He gave me a great exercise that I found helpful.  Take one of your favourite stories of Jesus and read it through.  Then go through it and try to imagine using all of your senses.  What do you see? Hear?  Smell?  Feel?  Taste?  What are your emotions as you observe the events of the story?  Then you can try reading the story again and imagine that you are one of the characters in the story.  Do the whole process again answering all the questions as that character. 

I found it very helpful to journal all of this.  One of the times I had a very profound experience where I met Jesus at Lazarus' tomb.  As Jesus wept I felt him embrace me and cry with me.  It really deeply impacted me. 

If you try this activity come back and share what you experience.  It would be cool to hear your stories. 

Edit:  I just read another thread and realized that you are pagan so maybe this exercise won't be as appropriate to you.  You may not be all that interested in connecting with Jesus.  I just assumed from your initial post in this thread that you are Christian.  Sorry for jumping to conclusions. 

3 people like this

Hey Frances, are you the creative type?  For a while I was seeing a Christian counselor and spiritual director.  He gave me a great exercise that I found helpful.  Take one of your favourite stories of Jesus and read it through.  Then go through it and try to imagine using all of your senses.  What do you see? Hear?  Smell?  Feel?  Taste?  What are your emotions as you observe the events of the story?  Then you can try reading the story again and imagine that you are one of the characters in the story.  Do the whole process again answering all the questions as that character. 

I found it very helpful to journal all of this.  One of the times I had a very profound experience where I met Jesus at Lazarus tomb.  As Jesus wept I felt him embrace me and cry with me.  It really deeply impacted me. 

If you try this activity come back and share what you experience.  It would be cool to hear your stories. 

Edit:  I just read another thread and realized that you are pagan so maybe this exercise won't be as appropriate to you.  You may not be all that interested in connecting with Jesus.  I just assumed from your initial post in this thread that you are Christian.  Sorry for jumping to conclusions. 

Don't worry about jumping to conclusions! Your advice is actually really good and I'm sure I can draw from it. My religion has its stories too :) Maybe they don't quite work in the same way as the stories about Jesus' life, but I could definitely re-read them with the mindset that you described and see what happens. It seems like a very interesting and creative way to view spirituality.

Thanks for the idea!

1 person likes this

Reading the bible and applying the word to my life with kindness.

Giving my time to the Lord

1 person likes this

Reading my Bible is my Daily Bread for my Spirit Man. That is how I nourish it.

Also, it helps to pray & have fellowship with other believers.

By searching for the truth, absolute truth, I've dedicated my everything for the sake of truth and justice.

And I realized that nothing is true and everything is permitted.

And I realized that nothing is true and everything is permitted.

**Leaps into haystack**

1 person likes this

this is a great question, every day i try to find new ways of having & maintaining a pure faith in Jesus. faith comes by hearing the word of God. For the moment i am trying 2 read my bible at least twice a day (morning & night) & i also listen to religious topic on internet &radio. it does help build a good quality faith.

1 person likes this

this is a great question, every day i try to find new ways of having & maintaining a pure faith in Jesus. faith comes by hearing the word of God. For the moment i am trying 2 read my bible at least twice a day (morning & night) & i also listen to religious topic on internet &radio. it does help build a good quality faith.

What he said. As well as listen to Christian metal more and go to church and bible study

I read my Qur'an and learn as much Arabic as I can to understand it better since so much gets lost in translation. I also listen to many lectures about Qur'anic studies.