Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daydreamer

Connecting to God

13 posts in this topic

A month ago I believe I was at church and the sermon was on ways that we connect or draw near to God. Some people feel closer to God through being in nature and being around what He created. Others like tradition and rituals. I'm guessing it has to do with familiarity. Some feel nearer to God through their minds.

Learning ways to strengthen my relationship with God is interesting to me. Right now I'm finding myself wanting to be creative, so I'm beginning to set aside time (usually in the morning or evening) to meditate on the Word and then write, paint or draw things. Sometimes it makes no sense and other times it does.

Anyways, I just wanted to know what are ways that you connect to God?

Here's a little quiz you can take if you are interested on finding out different ways you may connect to God. http://common.northpoint.org/sacredpathway.html

It is based on a book called sacred Pathways. Here is a study guide http://www.garythomas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/sacredpathways.pdf

5 people like this

Oh, that's a great quiz!

My results were highest on Intellectual (23 points), sensate (20) and activist (20), with a kind of moderately highish score on traditionalist (16). That makes a lot of sense. I love reading and learning about my faith, and I also like the idea of doing activism, political stuff, and whatnot (I've done leafleting and placard-holding stuff before, and I loved that!). And I've always preferred more traditional Catholic Masses to the more modern ones. I love cathedrals and I can't stand a church that's done away with everything old and beautiful. Never been to a Latin Mass, but someday, I shall, and I look forward to it!

xxx

2 people like this

Caregiver:18
Caregivers draw near to God through caring for and serving others.

Enthusiast:23
Enthusiasts draw near to God through celebration and mystery.

Contemplative:21
Contemplatives draw near to God through personal adoration and heartfelt devotion.

Intellectual:19
Intellectuals draw near to God through their minds.

1 person likes this

My highest was Sensate: 22

Sensates draw near to God through the senses. 

Pretty cool!  :)

1 person likes this

A good quiz!

My results were ascetic (22), intellectual (21), sensate (20), and contemplative (19). This makes sense to me because I am drawn to the simplistic aspects of prayer and worship. I also like to learn about my faith and are attracted to the beauty of cathedrals and gregorian chants.

1 person likes this

Top 5 answers on the board:

Naturalist:  18 

Naturalists Draw near to God through nature.

Contemplative: 18

Contemplatives draw near to God through personal adoration and heartfelt devotion.

Enthusiast: 17

Sensate: 16

Intellectual: 15 

1 person likes this

Caregiver: 24

Intellectual: 19

Contemplative: 17

I know most people talk about how it's important to marry someone withe the same faith as them, but I imagine how they experience faith would also be fairly important. For example, I feel like a lot of the time the Activist method can conflict with the Caregiver method of Christianity. An Activist is more likely to protest an abortion clinic than to actually help a woman considering getting an abortion like a Caregiver might. I feel like that sort of attitude would really bother me in a relationship. Just a thought though.

2 people like this

Great post!

My results:

Naturalist (25) Naturalist draw near to God through Nature.

Intellectuals (24) Intellectuals draw near to God through their minds.

Ascetics (23) Ascetics draw near to God through solitude and simplicity.

Contemplative (22) Contemplatives draw near to God through personal adoration and heartfelt devotion.

Lowest:

Activist(5) Activists draw near to God through bringing about social change. :P

Enthusiasts(9),Caregiver(11),Traditionalist(12),Sensate(14).

Caregiver: 24

I know most people talk about how it's important to marry someone withe the same faith as them, but I imagine how they experience faith would also be fairly important. For example, I feel like a lot of the time the Activist method can conflict with the Caregiver method of Christianity. An Activist is more likely to protest an abortion clinic than to actually help a woman considering getting an abortion like a Caregiver might. I feel like that sort of attitude would really bother me in a relationship. Just a thought though.

That's actually a good point. I got pretty high on caregiver too and maybe it's just because I detest conflict but I'm not sure if I would really mesh well with a person who is more into activism. Although I do find it admirable when people do things like that ( well only with certain things).

1 person likes this

That's actually a good point. I got pretty high on caregiver too and maybe it's just because I detest conflict but I'm not sure if I would really mesh well with a person who is more into activism. Although I do find it admirable when people do things like that ( well only with certain things).

Meh, I don't think that's necessarily true. I mean, I got a pretty high activism score, but that doesn't mean, for example, I'm not going to help women in crisis pregnancies. For me specifically, that means I'm a 19 year old student who lives at home with my parents and has no job or source of income. There's not much I can do to help a woman considering abortion except give her my advice - I can't give her financial support or put a roof over her head. However, when I do have a job and my own home later in life, I can see myself doing exactly that. I don't get the impression that these scores are supposed to be fixed throughout your life - they're going to change.

And just in general, I don't think activists would necessarily conflict with caregivers. They're after the same goal - they just have different strengths, and both know that both skills are required. The only issue I see would be in a relationship where you have, for example, an activist who really didn't care about women in crisis pregnancies, or a caregiver who was extremely opposed to putting yourself out on the "front-line" of conflict. Otherwise, I actually think that the two would complement each other pretty well. Imagine a husband protesting outside an abortion clinic and sees a pregnant woman debating whether or not to go in: "We're here to help you. Have you met my wife...?" Or angry man approaches wife: "That's a very good question about abortion. Why not discuss the issue with my husband there...?"

Like a little tag-team. Both spouses could keep the other in check, too, make sure they don't get too "extreme". I actually think that'd be better than having a marriage with two activists, where they could become callous about helping anyone since their only focus was on a political activism goal. Or two caregivers, where they might focus only on the small picture and ignore attempts to work on a larger scale for fear of conflict. A marriage where they complement each other might work to an advantage in serving God and serving society.

xxx

3 people like this

Meh, I don't think that's necessarily true. I mean, I got a pretty high activism score, but that doesn't mean, for example, I'm not going to help women in crisis pregnancies. For me specifically, that means I'm a 19 year old student who lives at home with my parents and has no job or source of income. There's not much I can do to help a woman considering abortion except give her my advice - I can't give her financial support or put a roof over her head. However, when I do have a job and my own home later in life, I can see myself doing exactly that. I don't get the impression that these scores are supposed to be fixed throughout your life - they're going to change.

And just in general, I don't think activists would necessarily conflict with caregivers. They're after the same goal - they just have different strengths, and both know that both skills are required. The only issue I see would be in a relationship where you have, for example, an activist who really didn't care about women in crisis pregnancies, or a caregiver who was extremely opposed to putting yourself out on the "front-line" of conflict. Otherwise, I actually think that the two would complement each other pretty well. Imagine a husband protesting outside an abortion clinic and sees a pregnant woman debating whether or not to go in: "We're here to help you. Have you met my wife...?" Or angry man approaches wife: "That's a very good question about abortion. Why not discuss the issue with my husband there...?"

Like a little tag-team. Both spouses could keep the other in check, too, make sure they don't get too "extreme". I actually think that'd be better than having a marriage with two activists, where they could become callous about helping anyone since their only focus was on a political activism goal. Or two caregivers, where they might focus only on the small picture and ignore attempts to work on a larger scale for fear of conflict. A marriage where they complement each other might work to an advantage in serving God and serving society.

xxx

It was just the first example I could think of. Spouses balancing each other out is something I didn't think of, but is definitely a good point. It's just a personal thing really. I don't think Caregivers and Activists are inherently opposed to each other either, but I think it could be relationship dynamic that I personally wouldn't work well in. (I should probably have a conculding sentance or something, but my brain is kinda fried from taking the ACT today :) )

2 people like this

WOW ! Great post indeed ! Thank you Daydreamer !

Here are my results :

Contemplative : 23

Intellectual : 22

Ascetic : 22

Ascetics draw near to God through solitude and simplicity.

Enthusiast : 20

Naturalist : 19

Naturalists Draw near to God through nature.

Caregiver : 18

Activist : 14

Activists draw near to God through bringing about social change.

Traditionalist : 13

Traditionalists draw near to God through ritual and symbol.

Sensate :12

2 people like this