Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jegsy Scarr

Sleep...

10 posts in this topic

Hey, guys!

This might be a weird topic, but I thought I'd ask. Does anyone else have trouble sleeping, at least sometimes? Because I seem to have a really weird type of insomnia...

Okay, so two nights ago, I went to sleep at half-four in the morning, and woke up at one in the afternoon. That's actually not that weird. I've been going to bed really late for about a week now, because I'm off university. That's always been the case for me: over the holidays when I have no real reason to get up early, then I'll stay up late and then get kind of distracted about the time. Not really an issue unless I have to get up early.

But last night, I thought, "Oh, it's three in the morning. I'll go to sleep now, and get up a little earlier tomorrow. And then maybe tomorrow, I'll go to bed at two, and I'll try to get back into a normal-ish sleep pattern." So I went to bed. And as soon as I decided, "Okay, time to sleep," I couldn't get to sleep. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get comfy, and the time just went on and on as I thought to myself, "You're kind of ruining the point of going to bed earlier." Eventually, I got to sleep about eight in the morning, woke up about half-twelve, still exhausted but thinking, "You can't sleep till four or five in the evening, that's stupid."

So it's now nearly one o' clock, I've had four hours sleep, and I think I finally recognise what the problem is. I've had this issue before, not being able to get to sleep, but it usually strikes the night before an exam or something important at university, where I can chalk it up to being worried about the next day - not a good thing, but that at least makes sense.

But now, I realise the problem is not what's happening the next day. Rather, as soon as I make the active decision, "You're going to get some sleep now," I can't get to sleep, even if I have an incentive to get a good night's sleep. As soon as I realise, "You really need to sleep," that's when I know it's not going to happen!

Does anyone else experience this? And if so, what do you do? I know there's things like playing music, but that would mean leaving the computer or a CD player plugged in, or wearing headphones which is not that comfortable. Plus, that's really something I'd have to prepare in advance, whereas I don't usually realise there's a problem until I'm already in bed and I think, "Oh, I can't sleep now."

Anyway, this is weird, I know, but as I said, I'm extremely tired and I wanted to rant a little. Stupid brain.

xxx

If you ever figure out the answer to sleep, I would love to know!  

I've had trouble sleeping for much of my life.  Oh it comes and goes and it depends on what is happening in my life at that moment.  When I do have trouble sleeping, my mind is just too busy for sleep.  And the later that an evening meeting goes or if I happen to be working late, the later sleep comes.  I've learned that I have to unwind before bed.  That may mean going online for awhile, having the tv on, or my favorite - reading.  I read in bed as well, but the problem with that is when I'm about to turn out the light, the plot takes a twist and wakes me right back up again.  

So no, you are not alone with insomnia.  You have to try different things (reading, listening to music, etc) to see what works for you.  

I do hope you get restful sleep soon.  

Be sure you are getting exercise during the day, some fresh air will do you a world of good. Cut out caffiene in the late afternoons and try a warm soak in the tub to get your body and mind in sync to relax. Avoid stimulus before bedtime as well ( this includes that juicy story you're reading!!) 

I find reading scripture and prayer helps too.  

Hope sleep finds you soon...  zzzzz

2 people like this

I rent a house so I'm lucky enough to have a bedroom where I can remove every electronic device that would interrupt the thought of sleep. Having a bedroom designated for sleep only, in addition to a ceiling fan for background noise, has turned me into someone who would still be up at 3AM to someone who is in bed by 9:30PM. I'll read Diesel Power or Back Home/The New Pioneer magazines sometimes but, I think the bedroom should be for sleeping only and have been moving towards that goal.

Yeah I experience that too. It's usually due to worrying about anything and then I'll stay up all night trying to solve the problem in my mind. A lot of what people said here helps. A lot of the time my body is not used to going to sleep at like 9pm ( or if it is I fight it lol), but I find going to bed late and waking up earlier helps. When I do that I'm like running on a couple hours of sleep so I get more tired and want to go to sleep earlier. If that makes sense.

Plus I respond well to routine. I like having things to do before falling asleep. I usually set aside an hour and a half to two hours to do my routine. When it's time to go to bed I feel really relaxed and read until I fall asleep, usually with the book in my hand.

Another tip that might help is having a designated worry time. So I take like 30 to 45 minutes to write down what I'm worrying about and try to solve it - that way when I go to sleep a couple of my problems have been "solved" lol.

Hope this made sense :)

1 person likes this

Before going to sleep you could try to stay away from computers and electronics, you could try reading an hour or two before going to bed. Try to create a “normal†sleep schedule. Anxiety from worrying about getting to sleep can also affect your sleep.

Some of that stuff sometimes works for me, but hey, I have insomnia, so four hours of sleep is good for me.

I experience this sometimes. I usually have trouble sleeping when I'm worried about something work related. I also have the same habit of staying up really late when I'm off from work. But afterwards, I have trouble switching back to a normal schedule after my vacation is over. I think that keeping a consistent sleep and wake schedule, even when you're off from university might help to adjust your mind and body into a routine. Maybe that might help a little--I've noticed that when I force myself to stay on a consistent schedule it helps me. 

1 person likes this

Watch a movie you really want to see when it's late. I ALWAYS fall asleep on something I want to watch vs something I don't really want to. It stinks lol :P

I have insomnia sometimes or more often I get to sleep but then keep waking up.

I realised that for me it is to do with light, it stops you feeling sleepy. Usually I'm always on my computer, phone or tablet, that disrupts your ability to fall asleep because it reduces melatonin production and of course it makes your brain really active when you want to be winding down. If I turn the main light in my room off half an hour to an hour before sleeping and just have a small lamp on, when I get into bed (or before I get into bed) I feel very sleepy. Sometimes I do the lights off thing and also listen to relaxation music for about 10 minutes in bed, that puts me to sleep even quicker, though sometimes can have the opposite effect as my brain starts focussing on the music. But the light thing definitely works for me.

.Don't worry ur not the only one. I too have much trouble with sleep.

I can't sleep when I want, i sometimes wake up at night, and wake up too early in the morning.

Worst of all is, I never can have a deep sleep, which leaves me fatigued everyday!