Sophie

Thoughts on Same-Sex marriages?

161 posts in this topic

I live in Canada, and gay marriage has been legal in every province and territory since 2006, and some provinces even had it legal in the 90's. My parents are accepting of gays, my mom has tons of gay friends, and the neighbors I have had my whole life are two gay men (a couple.) So I will have to say that I am 100% a supporter of same-sex marriages. While I fail to understand homophobia, I do understand why some people believe that marriage should only be between man and woman. I mean, reproductively, it does make sense. But to me, love is the most beautiful thing in the world and if you love each other, you have every right to marry. I think it's very tragic that same-sex marriages aren't legal in so many countries all over the world.

Let's keep all discussion respectful, please! :)

2 people like this

As a Muslim, I'm against them. Plain and simple. However, I can and do strive to treat people, regardless of their orientation, decently...so long as they don't do anything that's going to make me uncomfortable, lol. While I'll respect their rights and human beings and Children of Adam (pbuh), I can't condone this kind of behavior. There's my two cents.

See ya on the flipside,

Tempest Desh

1 person likes this

Why is it you're asking?

The government doesn't belong in marriage to begin with.

It cannot legislate morality more than it can pass a budget.

That said, I'm strongly against homosexuality in general. More so than I am against pre-marital sex. Or perhaps the same.

Let them do as they please provided they don't interfere with my rights -- at that point, let's just say, may the good lord have mercy on their souls if they do.

As a Christian, people typically would expect an answer being against it, bc if you interpret the bible literally, that's right. The example in the bible has random ppl engaged in threesomes etc with ppl if both sexes, and random hookups. I understand both of those are morally wrong. I think a loving, gay couple is fine. I don't think I have the right to deny someone a loving relationship in their life.

6 people like this

i agee with mike

This. As I've mentioned previously, I used to be pretty anti-gay, and then my brother (who I'm very close with) came out. Totally changed my perspective.
i had a very simler experience not quit the seem but smiler. and even if you are ageist gays (for what ever resone) i dont think anyone else marriage should afend you. your not a part of the marriage so butt out its there life!! you would like it if gays billeted you for marring who you love so it only faire to show the same cetasy ther not hurting you! plz watch this video it makes a good poit wither you for it or against it but stop at minut 14:13 after that it get weird

real simple if your against same-sex marriage then......then dont marry someone of the same sex!!!!!... dont get up in arms in stuff that dont affect you

3 people like this

hmmm this is a very interesting question Sophie and a highly controversial one as well. I have friends that are homosexual's and what not and although I value their friendship, I personally am not for same-sex marriage. It is one of those things where it is deemed socially unacceptable like abortion. I understand how it seems unfair but not everyone is comfortable with something of that nature.

1 person likes this

Well I'm against same-sex marriage (more for personal reasons than religious ones). However, I do respect homosexuals because I consider them to be human beings.

1 person likes this

Strongly oppose.

I've noticed that most people who are 'traditional' in the sense of not having sex before marriage are also more traditional in other aspects of marriage (for instance, thinking that marriage should only be between a man and a woman).

hmmm this is a very interesting question Sophie and a highly controversial one as well. I have friends that are homosexual's and what not and although I value their friendship, I personally am not for same-sex marriage. It is one of those things where it is deemed socially unacceptable like abortion. I understand how it seems unfair but not everyone is comfortable with something of that nature.

This is pretty much where I stand. I don't have a problem with homosexual people...I mean what they do and how they live their lives is none of my business. But I just cannot bring myself to support gay marriage. I do believe that gay couples should have the same rights if desired (i.e. getting to see one another in the hospital or whatever it may be)

1 person likes this

I have to say, I am quite surprised how nearly everyone is opposed to same-sex marriage (and also homosexuality in general.) But I guess I shouldn't be, seeing as most people on this site are very religious (and I most definitely am not.) Well it doesn't matter to me if people are against same-sex marriage. And even if people don't believe in homosexuality, the most important thing to me is that they don't ever bully or mistreat gay people. Kind of like how I am 100% against casual sex and 100% against open marriages, but I would never be mean to someone - or dump them as a friend - if they chose those lifestyles.

There's nothing wrong with being personally against same-sex marriages. There's nothing wrong with believing it's blasphemous and so forth.

That said, there are a lot of things wrong with translating that heavily biased viewpoint into law. Whether gays get married or not doesn't personally affect us, so whether we, or the government, like it or not, it is not our place to tell someone who they can't love. The government doesn't have the right to tell you who can and cannot marry.

People should do as they please as long as their actions don't infringe on the rights of others. A man marrying another man is not a big deal and it doesn't threaten my very existence, so why should I care?

2 people like this

That said, there are a lot of things wrong with translating that heavily biased viewpoint into law. Whether gays get married or not doesn't personally affect us, so whether we, or the government, like it or not, it is not our place to tell someone who they can't love. The government doesn't have the right to tell you who can and cannot marry.

People should do as they please as long as their actions don't infringe on the rights of others. A man marrying another man is not a big deal and it doesn't threaten my very existence, so why should I care?

Those are very good points. My dad is very neutral when it comes to same-sex marriages. He is totally fine with homosexuality, he just says that "whether gay marriage is illegal or legal, it won't make a difference to my life." Something like that. Anyways, I agree with him. I'm pretty disgusted by the fact that America has only legalized same-sex marriage in only six or so of the states. It's the 21st century and America is one of the most prominent, first world countries on Earth and...well, it's just very sad. What's taking it so long to catch up?

1 person likes this

That's what pisses me off about Christians, they pick and chose what to believe from the Bible, as to what suits them and many really are hypocrites.

Many do, for sure, and it really sullies Christianity. True Christians (of which I claim to be one by the sign of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues) don't pick and choose and thus can't accept homosexuality as being lawful unto God. Many scriptures back this up and I will be happy to quote them if required!

Having said that, there are a lot of things we (and ultimately God) doesn't accept, and it's not like I treat people any differently for it. Salvation and forgiveness are available to all, and I definitely don't go out of my way to criticise same-sex couples any more than fornicators (and it's probably less!)

My only concern with gay marriage is that marriage was instituted by God to be between a man and a woman right back from the days of Adam and Eve. Therefore the whole IDEA of marriage was that a man and woman would become one flesh. My personal opinion is that homosexuals should be able to have a civil, legally recognised union called something other than marriage, but as stated above it's not really my decision to make.

3 people like this

I'll bounce off of what Aussie said a bit.

Yes, many Christians are hypocrites and don't practice what they preach and are really poor excuses for the faith. And I apologize for them. But I wish more people could just realize that not everybody who says they are a Christian is actually a Christian. Just because someone puts "Christian" on their FB doesn't mean they're a Christian. Just because someone wears a cross doesn't mean they're a Christian. Just because a teen goes to youth group doesn't mean he's a Christian. Just because someone goes to church once in a while, or even regularly, doesn't mean they're a Christian. I went to church my.whole life (literally) and I didn't become a Christian till later. If I fill out a survey and say I'm a doctor, does that mean I'm a doctor? If I put on a white glove and moonwalk, that doesn't mean I'm Michael Jackson.

Please don't confuse the "Commercial Christian" with someone who has a legit relationship w/ Jesus (if you don't believe in God or Jesus, please just humor me).

No matter your religion (or lack thereof), or culture or whatever, we all have the freedom to believe whatever we believe, but I think the biggest thing is being respectful and diplomatic with what you believe.

2 people like this

That's what pisses me off about Christians, they pick and chose what to believe from the Bible, as to what suits them and many really are hypocrites.

Yeah, we call Catholics that pick and choose what they want to believe "Cafeteria Catholics".

Yes, many Christians are hypocrites and don't practice what they preach and are really poor excuses for the faith. And I apologize for them. But I wish more people could just realize that not everybody who says they are a Christian is actually a Christian.
No matter your religion (or lack thereof), or culture or whatever, we all have the freedom to believe whatever we believe, but I think the biggest thing is being respectful and diplomatic with what you believe.

Well said!

If I put on a white glove and moonwalk, that doesn't mean I'm Michael Jackson.

Shamone!

xxx

2 people like this

Well I live in the UK where gay couples are allowed to have 'civil ceremony' I think it's called, which is basically one down from a marriage, it's a life binding contract but it's not marriage (I'm not too sure of the legalities/clauses and such) but I see no reason why homosexuals should not be allowed to get married. I know quite a few homosexuals who are in relationships who would love to get married and I think they should be allowed to get married. I'm not religious so in my book a marriage is a life binding contract that you make with someone who love. Gay people in the UK are not allowed to say they are 'married' to someone of the opposite sex, it has to be 'civil partnership'. But I don't see how legalising gay marriage could make the world a worse place. Spread the love guys!

2 people like this

It's all about semantics. I don't know why everyone is so hung up on spending precious time and money fighting over the legal definition of one word. That's what it comes down to. As Christians, even if the legal definition of marriage is changed to include gay couples, it doesn't change God's view on marriage. In addition, it doesn't have to change our view on marriage. In God's eyes, a gay union is not marriage so what difference does it make if the secular world wants view it as marriage? The secular world doesn't even have the same view on heterosexual marriage as the Bible does, yet I don't hear the church complaining about that.

As long as the law isn't forcing churches to ordain gay marriages, then I don't really care if gay marriage is legal or not.

3 people like this

Not to open up a can of worms or anything on the topic of being born gay but I have a good friend who was telling me a couple years ago about his uncles. They are indentical twins. Which means that genetically their DNA is exactly the same. One is gay (flamboyantly so according to my friend) while the other is just a normal straight guy...with a wife and kids. He was saying that it makes absolutely no sense if you go by the logic that someone is just born that way. I mean maybe this situation is atypical of the norm and some people are in fact born gay...idk. Just food for thought. *shrugs*

1 person likes this

Not to open up a can of worms or anything on the topic of being born gay but I have a good friend who was telling me a couple years ago about his uncles. They are indentical twins. Which means that genetically their DNA is exactly the same. One is gay (flamboyantly so according to my friend) while the other is just a normal straight guy...with a wife and kids. He was saying that it makes absolutely no sense if you go by the logic that someone is just born that way. I mean maybe this situation is atypical of the norm and some people are in fact born gay...idk. Just food for thought. *shrugs*

You know, as crazy as it sounds, I think it can be both a choice or genetic. Based on my personal observations, most gays I know would say they were born that way and they try everything to lose their orientation out of a sense of guilt with no success. On the other hand, I've known a couple of gays who were able to turn straight through therapy.

1 person likes this

Love is love and if two people of the same gender love one another, I say so be it.

2 people like this

On the other hand, I've known a couple of gays who were able to turn straight through therapy.

They're still gay. So, so gay. These men feel ashamed and scared and continue to repress their feelings. They have chosen their faith over their sexuality. Their families can't handle it because they, too, are ashamed and scared and fear for their sons being sent straight to hell. And in many circles, having a gay child is a real social stigma.

I find the idea of "becoming straight through therapy" absolutely laughable because it's soooo ridiculous. Seriously? Therapy can change biology? Imagine yourself sitting in a room with a religious shrink telling you that being straight is wrong and that you MUST become homosexual! You probably can't imagine that because it seems impossible, and that's because it is. I didn't wake up one morning and decide I was straight, and many of my gay friends didn't wake up one morning and decide they were gay. It's just how it is.

7 people like this

Quote:

That's what pisses me off about Christians, they pick and chose what to believe from the Bible, as to what suits them and many really are hypocrites

it really depends on the person----not everyone picks and chooses what they believe---some of them really do try to live according to what is taught in the Bible. And as was said, there are some people out there that say they are Christians but don't truly know what that means, or it is a "name only" thing for some.

Anyways, on a personal note I am one to say that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

1 person likes this

I 100% support gay marriage. I am spiritual but not religious. I believe that everyone is equal, but we are all at different strides in our path. Some have traveled longer than others. Some take different paths. But we are all equal. We're all from the same source. I try to look at situations on all different levels. Everything happens for a reason and it intertwines with other people's paths to help them. Perhaps homosexual people were put here for a reason such as us having to learn to be more compassionate and loving. I'm sure they have a tough life seeing as being gay is not the 'norm' and not as commonly accepted as being straight.

Now, looking at it logically and not spiritually, I think homosexuality is a product of our environment. In a balanced world there would be little to no gay people. But we aren't in a balanced world anymore. It is so polluted. Not only physically but emotionally and mentally as well. So it only seems natural to me that unbalanced produces unbalanced. Here is a interesting article I came across that talks about a possible explanation for homosexuality : http://www.narth.com/docs/toxins.html

"The latest study adds to earlier evidence suggesting that environmental pollutants may impair normal gender development. If these findings are replicated in the small but growing body of studies on humans, then a boy with a brain that had been feminized in utero by an environmental toxin such as atrazine would be at particular risk to establish a weak masculine gender identity and thus to develop homosexual attractions in adulthood."

Sorry for the long post lol.

3 people like this

They're still gay. So, so gay. These men feel ashamed and scared and continue to repress their feelings. They have chosen their faith over their sexuality. Their families can't handle it because they, too, are ashamed and scared and fear for their sons being sent straight to hell. And in many circles, having a gay child is a real social stigma.

I find the idea of "becoming straight through therapy" absolutely laughable because it's soooo ridiculous. Seriously? Therapy can change biology? Imagine yourself sitting in a room with a religious shrink telling you that being straight is wrong and that you MUST become homosexual! You probably can't imagine that because it seems impossible, and that's because it is. I didn't wake up one morning and decide I was straight, and many of my gay friends didn't wake up one morning and decide they were gay. It's just how it is.

LOVE THIS. I agree entirely: you are born gay, and there is nothing you can do but either accept it or deny it. I am slightly skeptical on bisexuality, just because it seems all the rage today among teenagers and female celebrities, so it is difficult to see if this is a real sexuality or just people very open about exploration. But whatever. People tend to be afraid of things that are unfamiliar or not the norm, so naturally homosexuality weirds a lot of people out because clearly it is not the average sexuality and it is seen as strange especially because a man/man and woman/woman can't be fertile together so why be attracted to each other? But that's just the way it is with some people, and it is pointless to try and fight it because you'll end up miserable.