chastity_girl

Soo....

22 posts in this topic

X + Y = XY

Well no, see, this doesn't work. If one has two integers, both greater than zero, and one deems them "X" & "Y", and if one decides to add them together, then there is no way that this sum of the two numbers can equal the product of the two numbers, i.e. "XY". Such a statement can not be a fact...........................................and summing up, that's why there are no elephants in Antarctica!

3 people like this

Well no, see, this doesn't work. If one has two integers, both greater than zero, and one deems them "X" & "Y", and if one decides to add them together, then there is no way that this sum of the two numbers can equal the product of the two numbers, i.e. "XY". Such a statement can not be a fact...........................................and summing up, that's why there are no elephants in Antarctica!

But.... 

X x Y = XY  

So elephants do travel together. :D

2+2=4, 2*2=4. 

...sadly, I cannot similarly disprove your final statement. 

2 people like this

Haha I was gonna say that Ruby! Good job x but maybe x and y can't be the same numbers

1 person likes this

No one said X and Y could not be equal... good catch Ruby and Cou, X = Y = 2 works, as well as both 0, as well as other non-integers.

And thanks to Egirly for reminding me, I once saw a poster that read...

Sex Education: 1 + 1 = 3

3 people like this

2+2=4, 2*2=4. 

Maybe, but 5+3=8, and 5*3=15. Hence, the fact cannot be a fact since it isn't true at all times. Trust me, the non-Antarctican elephants taught me so!

My dream girl looks like this: tumblr_n1xs1t8O2l1t5fznko1_500.jpg

She drives this: tumblr_mvxct3QvXD1remy4co1_500.jpg

She reads this: the-holy-bible.jpg

She's not afraid of doing this:

maxresdefault.jpgand she's not afraid of these guys: 002-2013-dodge-charger-pursuit.jpg

So I want a wealthy Christian woman who has an affinity for cars, dabbles in some street racing, isn't afraid to deal with the police, oh and she's got to look nearly flawless. No wonder she's always gonna remain a girl in my dreams and not my reality lol.

2 people like this

Weapon X, you know how to dream! My past dreams were like that, but my dream now is a little simpler... that the right person for me in fact exists, and that we cross paths before I get too stuck in my ways to care.

Maybe, but 5+3=8, and 5*3=15. Hence, the fact cannot be a fact since it isn't true at all times. Trust me, the non-Antarctican elephants taught me so!

Yeah, it isn't universally true for every choice of x and y, but it is true for all x and y where x = y/(y-1). Plug any number into y in this equation, solve for x, then put them in the original xy = x + y and voila! Equations like this might seem too theoretical to be useful, but they can be used to solve real world problems, especially when you can describe a problem with a set of several equations. Though I don't talk about it much, I am partial to certain mathematics and combinatorics.

Yeah, it isn't universally true for every choice of x and y, but it is true for all x and y where x = y/(y-1). Plug any number into y in this equation, solve for x, then put them in the original xy = x + y and voila! Equations like this might seem too theoretical to be useful, but they can be used to solve real world problems, especially when you can describe a problem with a set of several equations. Though I don't talk about it much, I am partial to certain mathematics and combinatorics.

This can be solved for all numbers except where X or Y is exactly equal 1. Note that negative numbers are also possible (eg x=9/10 and Y = -9 as most people miss this ;) ) The most simple solution is X and Y both = 0.

1 person likes this

Would anyone complain if I put up some math-ey brain teasers in the forum? Or perhaps the better question is would anyone participate? :D

Would anyone complain if I put up some math-ey brain teasers in the forum? Or perhaps the better question is would anyone participate? :D

Yeah sure. Is it those that they always says it should take an averge person like 5 minutes but whoever tries it takes 30? ;)