Invincible

Biggest misconceptions about your faith.

23 posts in this topic

You've heard them all. All Muslim women wear hijabs, the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon (well that's probably true. I love you, Jegs :P), atheists are all angry and bitter, there is a Jewish conspiracy to take over the world through Hollywood(That one's probably true as well. Kidding.).

The one misconception that bothers me the most is people assume just because I'm a Christian, it must mean I'm homophobic. Seriously, I've had people come up to me when they find out I'm a Christian, they say, "Oh so you hate gay people, right?" Oh yes, our entire belief system is based on Jesus' teachings on 101 ways to lynch gay people. Right. Granted there are some high profile idiots who give us a bad name, but come on, use your brain.

What misconceptions about your faith bothers you the most?

11 people like this

A misconception that bothers me on Christianity (and thus Creationism) means you aren't evidence based nor considering science.  I am a christian, college student with a science major after all. 

9 people like this

Oh, where do I begin? (All the Muslims in the room know what I mean).

At the start.

As a Christian I hear these all the time:

1. I can't be supportive of gay marriage.

2. I can't be accepting of other religions or of a lack of religion.

3. I'm going to try and convert you every chance I get.

4. I'm going to judge you for everything you do.

5. I can't have friends who aren't Christians.

6. I don't believe in evolution or science (like Stacie said)

I know there are more, these are just the first ones I could think of!

4 people like this

At the start.

Yes, the Mad Hatter and March Hare did give advice along those lines, no?

2 people like this

Oh wow, I have a lot to add here.

1) Being homophobic. You know, I love God with all my heart and soul and I truly believe Jesus died to save me, but the one thing that I cannot and probably won't understand until I die and go to heaven is why technically being gay is wrong in the Christian faith. I fully support all same sex relationships and will just happily keep myself out of heated discussions concerning this topic. 

2) Science proves the nonexistence of God. NOT TRUE. I don't get how evolution proves anything. I mean, if evolution exists, it might have been because GOD made it happen. Anyway, I believe in the Big Bang, yes, but not that we were monkeys, because that's just taking it a bit far in my opinion. 

3) Getting offended. When someone disses my religion, it isn't me getting offended, it's God, and it doesn't offend me, it hurts me. Like one of my friends would be trashing my best friend in the world, it hurts, it doesn't offend. (At least in my opinion.)

4) All Christians believe that fantasy stories are the work of the devil and should be forbidden. No way. I will greatly enjoy any witch/wizard/vampire/creature movie/book and that doesn't mean that I am involving myself with the devil's work. Although, there are books that are bad and shouldn't be read, like true books teaching witchcraft. Those are just bad news.

5) I'm only waiting because of my faith. True, many people wait because they want to honor God, which is one part of me waiting, but there's also a great other part to it, such as loyalty and trust and just keeping things special. 

2 people like this

At the start.

That they are all not terrorists trying to kill us.

Only those indoctrinated by Wahhabism are.

Oh there are so many:

Homophobic- no, I do not have an irrational fear of lgbt. Difference in opinion does not = hate especially when thrown in the realm of Christianity (sin, natural law etc...).

Heterosexist- I can't even begin...

Sexist- I'm a girl so I don't know where that comes from

Anti-science - I'm a neuroscience major and future neuroimmunologist by definition I cannot be afraid of science.  

Irrational- moral standards that are different from the majority does not define rationality/irrationaliy

Right-wing nutcase- this one is odd because I am conservative politically and socially but being armed and God fearing does not make one a nutcase...I think Ted Bundy when I think of nutcase. 

6 people like this

I'm Pagan and there are SO many misconceptions about my faith. Here are the "best":

Having the same beliefs as other Pagans: since there aren't many Pagans, people tend to stuff them all into the same box. True, almost all of us (except Dianic Wiccans, I think) are polytheists, but that's pretty much all we have in common. There are many branches of Paganism, all very different from each other. It's like saying all Christians have the same beliefs - Wiccans and Asatruar have about as much in common as Catholics and Pentecostals do ;)

Making it up as I go: Yes, a few branches of Paganism are relatively new and do, to a certain extent, "make it up as they go". However, I don't belong to any of those - I believe in doing what feels right, but I also believe in doing it how it used to be done. Since most branches of Paganism are at least 1500 years old, it's impossible to know exactly how people used to worship in those days… but I do my best to find out. Having studied Ancient Greek language and culture extensively, I like to think I'm keeping the made-up parts minimal.

Hating God: Some people seem to think that because I worship Pagan Gods, I hate the Christian God. In fact, I have a have a great respect for Him and His followers. I've been to a couple of church services, and I love visiting churches - they have such a spiritual atmosphere. But I just feel more comfortable with my Gods. Though Christianity is a beautiful religion, and though I've met a lot of amazing Christian people (with the exception of a few annoying ones who don't "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - but every religion has a few of those), Paganism just feels right in my heart and soul.

Being a Devil worshipper: UGH. This is the one I hate most, probably because people have actually used it to discriminate against me. I don't worship the Devil. Just because Cernunnos, Pan and Satan all have horns doesn't mean they're the same being. Goats and buffalos have horns too, but I've never heard of anyone burning a buffalo on the stake for that reason.

Having bunny sex: Apparently all Pagans like to have sex anytime, anywhere, with anyone. This is clearly untrue since I'm WTM! :P

1 person likes this

(Evangelical) That I'm constantly judging people... I'm so not, ugh. I'm very curious about people, and I like people who are genuine. Also, by other Christians: that I like Christian music. No, no, can't stand it. 

I'm an agnostic, and so are most of my friends. They seem to have this idea that I want to make fun of religion all the time, but honestly I don't. Because, well, frankly, I think religion gets mocked enough in this day and age.

2 people like this

There's a lot of misconceptions about us Catholics, but the one that irks me the most is by far the growing consensus that Catholicism is somehow not a part of Christianity. "Are you Catholic or Christian?"

As a former Theology major this makes my stomach turrrrrrn.

But good story bro lol.

6 people like this

The biggest one you hear about Eastern Orthodox Christians is that we're basically Catholics without the Pope.  Also, that we're even more idolatrous than the Catholics, with the whole "icons are windows into heaven" thing.

Oh yeah, and that we're all ethnic Greeks or Russians/Slavs, and that the latter worship Vladimir Putin -- which in some cases, unfortunately, isn't all that far off...

1 person likes this

Being a Seventh-day Sabbath keeper the biggest misconception I get is that people think I believe salvation is through works i.e. following the law. Not true; nothing I can do can make me right with God - salvation is only through the grace of God and my surrender and acceptance of it in faith. I just believe that the whole of the Bible is for my instruction and that I can't pick and choose only the parts I like or try to change what I don't like.

3 people like this

As a christian many of the above posters have covered it. Also we are thought of as hateful and judgemental. Yes some of us are but not the majority. Also we are not naive or brainwashed and we aren't afraid of and hateful of science. I am fascinated by science and I think that Christianity and science go hand in hand. Also the Bible is not a science text book for people that think it is not very scientific.

1. That atheism is a religion, rather than a solitary belief.

2. Related to #1: atheism "preaches" certain tenants or morals. For example, I've heard a lot of people describe evolution as some sort of "tenant of atheism" that all atheists must believe in, and that they somehow derive their system of morals from. I find the fixation on that one particular scientific theory to be totally bizarre. Just because I believe in gravity doesn't mean it's an essential atheist belief, nor does it mean I think I'm morally obligated to push people off of buildings.

3. Atheists secretly believe in God, but are angry at God, flat-out hate God, or just want to do things their own way instead of following the rules.

4. Atheists can't be as kind, generous, selfless, or trustworthy as theists, or love as fully, because they don't believe in a God or gods. I've also heard people say that everyone has a God-shaped hole in their heart, which to me implies that atheists can't be as happy, as fulfilled, or as complete as people who are religious.

2 people like this

Hijab and sharia doesn't exist in islam.

Like the other abrahamic books, geocentrism and flat earthedness and to have sex with slaves (concubine), exists.

Like the other abrahamic books, geocentrism and flat earthedness and to have sex with slaves (concubine), exists.

Though non of these things are taught in the Bible...

1 person likes this

I have a thought about a Christian misconception.

One misconception I see all around me is that in order to worship and communicate with God, I must idolize the bible and consider it "inerrant."  I think it would be useful to invent a new term for people who confuse this with following the Christ: "biblicans."  I think there are way more of them than Christians today.

I think that if I want to follow the Christ, I should probably communicate with Jesus.  I think that it is worth considering that, frankly, the bible would've never been inspired unless people communicated with God first.  If it is so hard to accept that God can communicate with us apart from the bible, I am not sure how any of the bible can be taken seriously in the first place.  God seemed to communicate just fine before it was canonized, let alone finished.  I think taking God out of the context is where all the misconception really starts anyway.

One might ask: "what does the bible say?"  I would rather ask: "Did I do what Jesus Commanded of me?"

2 people like this