Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are Long Term Relationships Possible in College?

17 posts in this topic

I wanted to ask this question because I am transferring from a community college to a university in the fall. The only things I have heard about colleges is that people usually like to party and hook up. I was wondering if that was true. Are there a lot of people that are looking for a serious relationship in college or do the majority just want a casual relationship. I don't mean to generalize because I know that not everyone is the same nor is every college. I was just wondering what you all have witnessed or experienced for those of you that have been in college or are attending or know some one that does.

I have no idea on the majority but a good amount of people that I know that are married met in college and started dating then. This could be a rare thing but from what I've seen lots of couples meet in college.

I don't mean to generalize because I know that not everyone is the same  

Sounds like you already have your answer.

1 person likes this

I think it's possible, but less common than it used to be. So many people have to move to find work now that I think it makes it harder to start something serious at as young of an age. I've seen some couples around campus, though.

I've been with my gf since grade 11, and the relationship survived without any problems throughout all 4 years of university lol

1 person likes this

In my experience, yes :) I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years- since I was a junior and he was a senior in high school, and now he is graduated and I am a senior in college graduating this spring. We have survived and are going as strong as ever, and we have been pretty much long distance the whole time as well. Currently, we live 3 states apart (the amount of distance has been gradual.. he was 2.5 hours away when I was still in HS, then 3.5 hours apart after I moved to go to school at an out-of-state university, and then he moved another state away last year so we are 7.5 hours drive apart) but I am officially moving to where he is in June to FINALLY end the distance :) We are getting engaged soon and married hopefully in a year/year and a half :)

There are people who regularly party and hook up, but there are also plenty of people who don't! :)  

1 person likes this

Definitely! I recently married my college sweetheart. My brother and one of my cousins are also married to their college sweethearts. I didn't have the expectation of finding a husband at my college ( a public university with almost 20,000 students where hookup culture was the norm), but you never know!

4 people like this

I definitely think long term relationships are possible in college. Yes there are a lot of short hookups that also go on in college, but there are certainly some serious people out there too. It also depends on which school you go to, I'm currently enrolled in a Christian University and the idea of "hooking up" isn't really a thing here. Nearly all of the relationships that I see here have the intention of being long term. Also, almost everyone who attends here is aware of the "Ring by Spring" phrase that goes around, that you're supposed to be engaged by spring of senior year. We even used to have a tradition at my school where the newly engaged man would be picked up by several of his friends and carried over to be dropped in one of the fountains on campus.

Personally I find the "Ring by Spring" idea kind of silly, and also more of a myth than anything, but it still exists nonetheless.

1 person likes this

That's where most are. Don't let them go for two years or more, though. I think 1-1.5 years is good.

Are any relationships possible in college? don't you like have no time to sleep or do anything? let alone be in a relationship

1 person likes this

Heck yeh! I know personally of many cases. (Obviously not me YET lol)

1 person likes this

I see no real reason it's not possible, it happens all the time.

2 people like this

Of course you're going to see lots of casual people hooking up...the douchy type guys that just want to hook up...and girls that are looking for the same. But you're also going to find lots of successful relationships! I know this girl who was a year behind me (she is actually about to graduate in a few weeks) and she started dating her boyfriend while they were in high school. They ended up at the same college and now they are engaged! 

I know lots of other couples that met in college and are now engaged or have already gotten married. So you'll see lots of relationships and lots of failed ones, but in a big university you'll see just about everything really. So don't fear - there are tons of guys that would rather date then hook up! Just be careful and stick to being friends first before you jump into anything. 

Thanks everyone for your responses. I usually see casual hookups and I really am not going to be focusing to much on it I mean college really does take up a lot of time. But for me I don't want to be in a relationship with out the possibility of it actually leading somewhere.

My boyfriend and I have been together since we were sophomores in high school, and we just finished our junior year in college (and we are long distance too - 1600 miles apart!), so they definitely are possible. However, at least on my (admittedly, extremely liberal) campus, hookup culture is what is really dominant. Even most of the people I know who are in longterm relationships were friends with benefits first. So I would say that, while it's definitely possible to have a longterm relationship while in college, and I wouldn't write off the possibility, I also wouldn't get my hopes up too high, especially if you are WTM as most people on campus seem to expect plenty of sex before any kind of commitment. However, as other people have said, it really depends on what your campus culture is like, so your mileage may vary. But most of the people I know in relationships either met outside of campus (or, like other people have said, have been with their SO since high school), or were FWB first.