Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jegsy Scarr

Society's view of children - two videos

5 posts in this topic

Found an article on Catholic Link, which had these two videos. They're both adverts and they're both pretty short.

Disclaimer: I'm not promoting these companies...obviously. Well, Coke's okay...

So, the article argued that society has the mentality of that first video: that children are the root of all misery and discomfort, a flaw in marriage which should be avoided and protected against. Whereas, in the first video, children are seen as challenging and demanding, parenting is a sacrifice, but nonetheless, children are sources of happiness.

As the article puts it, one video is about "glorified egoism" and the second is about "venturesome generosity".

What are your thoughts on these videos? How do you think that society (in general) views children? And how do you view children in marriage? Are they optional extras to a marriage, or do they spring from the heart of it?

xxx

"What are your thoughts on these videos? How do you think that society (in general) views children? And how do youview children in marriage? Are they optional extras to a marriage, or do they spring from the heart of it?"

I really don't have much of a problem with commercials like these. In most cases, most young children really are menaces around the house, being destructive, messy, and loud, so its not as if the commercials are inaccurate. 

Right now, I view children as something I never want in a marriage, I really don't feel the need to have my own children either. If I ever decided to have a child, it would only be through adoption. 

2 people like this

I think children are optional in marriage.  If you want kids, then have kids.  But I don't think married couple are supposed to or need to have kids.  I don't think people who don't want kids are egotistical or selfish.  I'm an only child and my parents didn't have me until they'd been married for well over a decade.  And that was on purpose.  Initially it was because they didn't want children at all, but eventually it was because they did want to become parents.... just not yet.  So when I finally was born, it was because they truly WANTED to become parents and were excited for my arrival.

What I think is bad, however, is when people who don't want children have children merely because they've been told that they have to or that they are supposed to.  Some people simply don't want children, or do want them but don't want them right away or only want one child; and I think that all of those options are perfectly okay and I certainly don't think that those choices make then selfish.  On the contrary, I think their decision to take precautionary measures to prevent an unintended and unwanted pregnancy is both responsible and prudent.  They know themselves well enough to know that they don't want children and stay true to themselves by taking measures to prevent a pregnancy they don't want (and in doing so, prevent their and their potential children's unhappiness), rather than allow themselves to be coerced or pressured by others into having children that they neither want nor are obligated to have. What WOULD be selfish, however, would be if they had a child (or children) anyway, for no other reason than because they felt obligated to, and then resented and neglected their children because they never wanted them in the first place.  I can think of few things worse than a child being born to parents who didn't want to have it and who dreaded raising it. 

And with regard to the commercials, I'm okay with both depictions. The couple in the Coke commercial were excited to become parents, so the joy the felt as parents helped them cope with the frustrations that also come with parenthood.  On the other hand, the people depicted in the condom commercial might not have wanted children at all (or at least didn't want to have them until later in life), so their frustration is understandable to me because they probably didn't want to become parents in the first place.

1 person likes this

I think children are optional in marriage.  If you want kids, then have kids.  But I don't think married couple are supposed to or need to have kids.  I don't think people who don't want kids are egotistical or selfish.  I'm an only child and my parents didn't have me until they'd been married for well over a decade.  And that was on purpose.  Initially it was because they didn't want children at all, but eventually it was because they did want to become parents.... just not yet.  So when I finally was born, it was because they truly WANTED to become parents and were excited for my arrival.

What I think is bad, however, is when people who don't want children have children merely because they've been told that they have to or that they are supposed to.  Some people simply don't want children, or do want them but don't want them right away or only want one child; and I think that all of those options are perfectly okay and I certainly don't think that those choices make then selfish.  On the contrary, I think their decision to take precautionary measures to prevent an unintended and unwanted pregnancy is both responsible and prudent.  They know themselves well enough to know that they don't want children and stay true to themselves by taking measures to prevent a pregnancy they don't want (and in doing so, prevent their and their potential children's unhappiness), rather than allow themselves to be coerced or pressured by others into having children that they neither want nor are obligated to have. What WOULD be selfish, however, would be if they had a child (or children) anyway, for no other reason than because they felt obligated to, and then resented and neglected their children because they never wanted them in the first place.  I can think of few things worse than a child being born to parents who didn't want to have it and who dreaded raising it. 

And with regard to the commercials, I'm okay with both depictions. The couple in the Coke commercial were excited to become parents, so the joy the felt as parents helped them cope with the frustrations that also come with parenthood.  On the other hand, the people depicted in the condom commercial might not have wanted children at all (or at least didn't want to have them until later in life), so their frustration is understandable to me because they probably didn't want to become parents in the first place.

I entirely agree with this post. (Although I will say I think the condom commercial was meant to be in jest. Commercials often use exaggerated humor.)

1 person likes this

I agree that the condom commercial was meant to be in jest (and honestly, I thought it was pretty funny and definitely got its point across).  If it sounded like I took too serious a tone when stating my thoughts on that particular commercial, it was merely to mirror the serious tone that the aforementioned article apparently took when discussing that same commercial. :)