Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sophie

Do you feel like the media gives an inaccurate depiction of males?

19 posts in this topic

Think Edward Cullen: flawless, talks more romantically than Shakespeare's plays, plays music more beautifully than Mozart, etc. That sure gives girls unrealistic expectations and dreams.

But guys are also depicted as total horn-dogs. You know, like on TV shows or movies where they cheat a lot. It's hard to find a TV show or a teen series that doesn't have a guy who cheats, or constantly sleeps around, or is emotionally unavailable. Or guys always handle things using violence. Shows like Friends keeps things much more realistic, I find.

Girls often complain of how were depicted in movies, magazines, literature, television, etc. So how do you feel?

Great question Sophie :) I'm excited so see what guys say and I think you should post the opposite in the girls section too ;)

I totally agree they make it out to be where its okay for guys to have multiple partners and sleep around. What happens then is that it becomes okay in society for that to happen and thats whats happening now. Shows like jersey shore dont help I saw that garbage one time and was like this is why america is tanking. People now adays want to become rich off of doing nothing, but it use to be if you worked hard enough you could hopefully make it big or atleast by urself a nice house.

Theres a saying tho "everything that is old one day will be new again". We might not live to see this happen but I know that one day waiting will become popular again. I like to think that were the pioneers that are paving the way. Like I might sound crazy but think about it having sex before marriage wasnt something popular llike 60 years ago!!! But its something that is normal to do now! Personally I think people will eventually get tired of being cheated on, or used, or contracting stds, to the point where they will tell people who tell people and people will start waiting. Its our job to spread the word that there are people who still wait!!!

Just my opinion :lol:

1 person likes this

I totally agree they make it out to be where its okay for guys to have multiple partners and sleep around. What happens then is that it becomes okay in society for that to happen and thats whats happening now. Shows like jersey shore dont help I saw that garbage one time and was like this is why america is tanking. People now adays want to become rich off of doing nothing, but it use to be if you worked hard enough you could hopefully make it big or atleast by urself a nice house.

Theres a saying tho "everything that is old one day will be new again". We might not live to see this happen but I know that one day waiting will become popular again. I like to think that were the pioneers that are paving the way. Like I might sound crazy but think about it having sex before marriage wasnt something popular llike 60 years ago!!! But its something that is normal to do now! Personally I think people will eventually get tired of being cheated on, or used, or contracting stds, to the point where they will tell people who tell people and people will start waiting. Its our job to spread the word that there are people who still wait!!!

You make some very good points and I sure hope you're right!!!!!!

I love this Seeflo and haven't forgotten this since you posted it♥ You are a very strong individual to still keep the same mindframe after everything! :) I wish there were more fellows like the ones on here but maybe it's all a matter of time...

yes, Sophie I do believe the media is inaccurate most of the time about both males/females! Forget the media is all I have to say because they try to shape the way we depict things and brainwash society to believe trash is class-WHATEVER!

OHG, I wish I knew more guys too like the guys on here....where are they?! Hiding out in the library? In their dorms? Lol jk jk

Well I think the media sometimes presents an inaccurate depiction of males. From my perspective, this presentation has the potential to become ingrained into people's subconscious (at least it appears that way to me). I'm not trying to stereotype female behavior here, but what happens to just being friends? I remember asking a friend of mine, who is a girl, out for some coffee, you know to just chat. Well we chatted, and just when we were about to leave, she asked me, " is this a date?" Lol. I mean I don't necessary fit the "normal" attributes of male characteristic and behavior that the media sometimes presents. I don't have abs of steel, am not so tall, or brusque, and I don't play music as well as Mozart. So I'm guessing I should evaporate in a big puff of smoke...

I hate the media's portrayal of men being promiscuous as well. Another reason that I believe Hollywood and the like is/are a huge influence in making people not wait.

I agree with everything y'all have said! I said some of this in another post on pre-marital sex but I'll say it again here. Society by large portrays men as "womanizers" who are trying to get lucky at every opportunity. It really does frustrate me not just because I'm waiting but because I know TONS of guys, my brother, friends, acquaintances, co-workers, you name it that while although they aren't waiters, are definitely not like that! Like Seeflo said, I pray that one day the tables turn and that waiting is popular. And it is cool to think that even if it's just in a really small way, maybe we are paving the way for it, who knows.

I know that not all of us are Christians, but as I said in that other post, much of waiting (to me) comes down to being God's man. It comes down to not giving into temptation and being strong enough to stand up for what's right. Temptation abounds in the world we live in and I'm just glad I became aware of it when I did.

OHG, I wish I knew more guys too like the guys on here....where are they?! Hiding out in the library? In their dorms? Lol jk jk

hahahah, Oh Sally, your funny!

I agree with everything y'all have said! I said some of this in another post on pre-marital sex but I'll say it again here. Society by large portrays men as "womanizers" who are trying to get lucky at every opportunity. It really does frustrate me not just because I'm waiting but because I know TONS of guys, my brother, friends, acquaintances, co-workers, you name it that while although they aren't waiters, are definitely not like that!

I went to an all-girls school for 12 years, so I really thought that all guys were just "womanizers" and out for sex. Well when I got to university...so many guys are really shy, can barely look girls in the eyes, and are very polite and mature. Not all, obviously, but over half. And there are these two guys I have known since I was a month old and they are nicer than any girl I've ever met. They are both conservative, and one gets really mad whenever the word "slut" is used. I even said it once to describe Samantha Jones and he called me on it - and I'm a girl. lol.

I went to an all-girls school for 12 years, so I really thought that all guys were just "womanizers" and out for sex. Well when I got to university...so many guys are really shy, can barely look girls in the eyes, and are very polite and mature. Not all, obviously, but over half. And there are these two guys I have known since I was a month old and they are nicer than any girl I've ever met. They are both conservative, and one gets really mad whenever the word "slut" is used. I even said it once to describe Samantha Jones and he called me on it - and I'm a girl. lol.

*ahem* Sophie! & where are these fellers at again?? I'd really like to know! I may have to chance where I intend on moving too hehe I'll just put them in my pocket ;)

*ahem* Sophie! & where are these fellers at again?? I'd really like to know! I may have to chance where I intend on moving too hehe I'll just put them in my pocket ;)

lol. They're university students now, in Canada. :P And yep, they're really awesome. I have 5 guy friends, and I have known them all since we were babies. So I can't think of them romantically because that would just be gross. They're all nice, but one of them is a total guy (if you get what I mean.) Anyways, I hope I can meet more guys like them who aren't like family.

Not to get at you or anything, but sometimes it just kills me to hear stories about guys and girls being friendzoned.

Anyway I just wanna say that my parents have known each other since they were babies and they've been happily married for 29 years.

Really? I guess some people can do that, but I have to say that I have completely "friend-zoned" these guys, and trust me: they don't want anything else with me. There is a group of nine of us (girls and guys) who have known each other since infancy and we call each other "cousins" and often argue like siblings. Dating any of the guys would feel like incest, and I know all the rest feel the same way. Brothers and sisters don't fall in love, so why would we? Anyways, that's just how we feel.

I'm not trying to sound defensive or anything. I think it's great that your parents - after 29 years - are still happily married. My parents barely lasted nine years (although they had dated previously for eight or so years.)

Television is garbage. There isn't a single channel that isn't propaganda.

It does portray many men accurately. As it does women. In 2011.

Martel: are you sure abt that? What channels do you watch? What abt TLC? HGTV? Abcfamily? Disney? Nick? Golf or other sports channels? There's a lit bad, but there's still a lot of good :)

Does the media "given an inaccurate depiction of males?!"

Ooh, boy does the list go on!

The media has damn near criminalized testosterone; just watch your average sitcom with a brainless husband or Sex in the City.