Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tatyana

What are your thoughts on this?

5 posts in this topic

absolutely agree

and how about the nonchalant title of "wife beater" for an article of clothing.  I understand it's supposed to be humorous, but when did that become funny?

1 person likes this

absolutely agree

and how about the nonchalant title of "wife beater" for an article of clothing.  I understand it's supposed to be humorous, but when did that become funny?

I never understood and still do not understand why they call it a wife beater. It makes no sense. I can't for the life of me figure out why something would be called that. 

I agree with the video, but admittedly I didn't find most of the ads sexist because I didn't notice the sexism. Maybe because I'm a guy. I wasn't offended because I didn't realize the ads were offensive in the first place. When I watch ads I just watch them and that's it. I don't notice the subtle and sometimes not so subtle sexism in them.

1 person likes this

I wouldnt have noticed the sexism either :blush:  which is why I wanted to know other peoples point of view to understand it better. And I dont watch tv so I never see any ads.

But to answer your question Weaponx its called a wife beater because on tv or the news everytime a man got arrested for beating his wife he would usually be wearing a white tank top.

I think we have become so use to them that we don't really notice. These types of ads are not just on tv but outside on billboards, trains, magazines and things like that. Ads that make a part of a females, even males, body look like an object. I'm sure if you searched for it on google you'll find some pictures like that.

1 person likes this