Guest Princess Victoria

Are you afraid of the dark?

29 posts in this topic

I am VERY afraid of the dark. I can't sleep in the dark. I won't even enter a place that is dark.

I'll admit it; I sort of am, at times. But only because my stupid, nerdy imagination tends to run wild. And I did just watch a vampire movie...with actual scary and deadly vampires, not pale, sparkly fairies.

1 person likes this

Heck yeah! I'm just a scaredy cat in general - I'm afraid of everything. I share a room with my sister and if she is away I cannot sleep, I would leave the light and my glasses on. I actually think my eyes are starting to suffer from never sleeping in complete darkness.

True story I stayed up till 7am one day because I turned on the tv and there was this monster. Later I realized it was from the show Power Rangers :wacko:

I'm usually okay with the dark, but it depends. I've got a little bit of "Pure O" OCD - in other words, just the obsessions without the compulsions. In other words, when I get something into my head, it's hard to get rid of it.

Occasionally, I'll get an idea in my head that just freaks me out. Usually, it only happens when I get myself worked up about something scary or disturbing, like looking up those creepypasta stories or urban legends - a story or two is fine, but if I read too many, I'll gradually get more and more freaked out...and then I'm stuck with the ideas. I'm actually okay with most scary movies/books, and I can watch/read them without any problems. Unless I find an idea that really freaks me out (think "Human Centipede", "Survivor Type" or "Geek Love").

Then I'll be thinking about it for hours, sometimes days afterwards. If I'm lucky, I'll still be able to sleep. If not, I'll be freaking out in the middle of the night, freaking out when I look in the bathroom mirror...And I'll need to pull the covers right up over my head or I can't sleep. Who knows what could be out there in the dark?

xxx

Nope, love it! Can't sleep unless it's pitch black. I went through a period of being scared-ish of the dark when I was around 6-9. It was an on and off thing. I think cuz I loved ghost stories and horror stories but sometimes I couldn't handle them. :P

3 people like this

no but i don't mind if my girlfriend/future wife does. I am happy to cater to her needs and help when ever I can

I always keep a small light on in the hallway just so I don't fall when I need to get a drink. 

I love the dark; it’s comforting, protective and quiet, it can feel claustrophobic and endless at the same time. Plus it doesn't annoy me with T.V./ computer screen glare. 

1 person likes this

You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it.

I don't know what this means, but it sounds cool so I like your comment!

I'm not afraid at all. Sometimes I'll be walking to my car at school around 2 AM, poor lighting, my car is the only one left in the parking lot and I fear not! Fear of the dark is an irrational fear. You can fear being attacked or something but fearing the dark is irrational. I have Glossophobia which is fear of public speaking and also an irrational fear.

Now only if I could find a Woman who's good at public speaking and if you could find a man who isn't afraid of the dark we'd have it made!

Yes I am, except when it is time to sleep. I cant stand anything else other than absolute darkness. My fear of the dark is because I can't rely on my sight -- and my vision is so important to me when I only have 4 in the first place! Haha, I used to HATE when in games or things teachers asked us to do in the classroom that involved closing our eyes. I would never do it, or would constantly blink instead. But yeah, the imagination of what lurks in the darkness used ttocare me, but not anymore. Ah, who am I kidding, it does a little bit from time to time!

No way!

But like LondonGuy said above and as many of the women-folk have voiced, I'd be fine with a smallish night light I'd my wife wants/needs one.

But I'm big guy, I'd "save her" from the scary monsters in the closet and underneath our bed.

Hahaha

Insert silly Chuck Norris night light joke here ......

Chuck Norris sleeps with a nightlight ... not because he’s afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris.

1 person likes this

Yes but for different reasons. Here in SA the crime rate is relatively high as Eugene will also testify. And we sometimes get criminals who walk around in the yard at night trying to see what they can steal and where they can get in. I am always scared when going outside in the dark cause I don't know who could be standing there.

1 person likes this

No.  I'm not afraid of the dark either.  The darker my room, the better I sleep.  To much light wakes me up.

Here in SA the crime rate is relatively high as Eugene will also testify. And we sometimes get criminals who walk around in the yard at night trying to see what they can steal and where they can get in. I am always scared when going outside in the dark cause I don't know who could be standing there.

Exactly.  You can't touch the criminals that enter your house.  If you do, you will go to jail and not him.  And they came in packs.  We had a criminal once in our yard @ 9pm.  Brother and I never slept that night, because we was waiting for him to enter.  But thank God the criminal never enter our house, because it would have been messy.

Exactly.  You can't touch the criminals that enter your house.  If you do, you will go to jail and not him.  And they came in packs.  We had a criminal once in our yard @ 9pm.  Brother and I never slept that night, because we was waiting for him to enter.  But thank God the criminal never enter our house, because it would have been messy.

why will you go to jail if you touch the criminal?

1 person likes this

Some places say you can't use force to protect your property if life is not in immediate danger.

1 person likes this

I'm not afraid of the dark, but I am afraid of small amounts of light within darkness. I'm ok if all the lights are off and all the doors are shut, but if it's pitch black except for a sliver of light coming from a cracked doorway...that messes with me. Most of my nightmares will start with that sliver of light turning into something sinister.

I know exactly what you mean!!

I need complete darkness to fall asleep and stay asleep.

I keep a nightlight in the bathroom. It glows blue... so it's soft and subtle, won't shock your eyes when you stumble in...in  your sleepy haze during the middle of the night.

As ridiculous as the Blair Witch Project movie was, it did strick a nerve during the dark scenes.

Yeah :unsure: I always leave the bathroom light on when I'm going to sleep.

I'm having a sleepless night today (ughh, don't you hate those?) and, while I was staring at the ceiling in the (semi) dark, I realized that when I get married I will totally forget about the bathroom light and just snuggle close to my hubby for protection :D

Sorry, I get mushy at this hour.

In SA the criminals get preference.  I't not sure if it works overseas the same, but if you find criminal in your house, and he points a weapon at you, he can shoot at you first and not vice versa. 

I'm having a sleepless night today (ughh, don't you hate those?) 

Uggghhh.. having sleepless nights sucks big time.  Had one on Friday/Saturday.  I also looked at the ceiling fan and counted how RPM's of the fan.  But nothing sucks more when fell asleep and woke... aye. Feels like a truck or bus or even train ran over you.

3 people like this

I'm having a sleepless night today (ughh, don't you hate those?) 

I had one the same night. Mine was caused by nerves though. 

I had one the same night. Mine was caused by nerves though. 

Aww man! If I had known, we could have spent the time chatting or something. All I did was count sheep and reply to threads on here ^_^