Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jegsy Scarr

Church every Sunday?

11 posts in this topic

Hey, guys!

This is based on a question which came up in another thread about going to church after your wedding or during your honeymoon. Several people did say they would still go to church even if they got married, say, the day before, or if they were on their honeymoon. But others said things like, "Well, I served God by waiting till marriage, so I'm sure He'll be okay with me having the day off," or "I won't go during the honeymoon, because that time belongs to me and my spouse, not to an organisation," or "You don't have to go to church every single Sunday because your relationship with God exists outside of the church building" or "The 'church' is anywhere people gather together in Jesus's name, not just in a building," and so on. (I was going to comment on that thread, but thought that I shouldn't derail it...)

I couldn't help but notice that everyone (I think, but at least most of them) who said stuff like that...was...Protestant...? I don't know, I just always assumed that Protestants also believed that it was important to go to church every single Sunday, and that it was a sin not to go? So I thought I'd ask...

I guess that there might be a slight difference between Protestants and Catholics because Catholics do believe that the Church isn't just an invisible Church made up of all believers, but also a visible Church established by Christ. You know, both divine and human, physical and spiritual, Christ's Mystical Body and a hierarchical society...and so on. So for Catholics, it's important to go to a physical church every Sunday as well as just being part of a spiritual one. I don't know, that was one theory I had.

I also thought that maybe it's because most (not all, though) Protestants believe that the Eucharist is just a symbol, rather than Christ's actual Body and Blood. So perhaps there's less of an incentive for some Protestants to go to church every Sunday, because they figure that God is everywhere anyway, not just in particular building. Whereas Catholics believe that yes, God is spiritually present everywhere, but He's sacramentally present in the Eucharist, so it's only by going to Mass that you can receive Him, Body and Blood. That was another idea I had.

But even with those ideas, I still didn't quite understand why at least some Protestants didn't believe it was important to go to church every Sunday. Even if they don't believe in a visible Church, or that the Eucharist is literally Jesus's Body and Blood, I still figured it'd be a sin not to go. We're told in the Ten Commandments to "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy". In the old covenant, they worshipped on the Sabbath (Saturday), and in the new covenant, the first Christians worshipped on the Sunday instead, because that was the Lord's Day, the day when He rose from the dead. So, I don't know, I just figured that everyone would still believe in going to church every Sunday...

I don't know if it's all Protestants who believe you don't have to go to church every Sunday or just the ones who answered in the thread, so If anyone could clear that up, that'd be great! If you're Protestant, whether you believe in church every Sunday or not, it'd be nice to get your opinion! And if anyone wants me to clarify anything about what Catholics believe about church and Sundays, then you can ask me that, too. Hopefully this will be a fun discussion! Yay! :lol:

xxx

I wanna answer!! Although I didn't reply to the other thread :P Keep in mind that some of my thought/input may differ from other's, but it's what I personally believe.

Okay, the Bible says in Romans 12:5-8 "so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs too all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

So, when we come together in Christ we form one body. We are his church. Church is the unity of believers in Christ to worship him and learn and study his word. Since we can't physically be together at all times, does that mean we're no longer apart of the church? Of course not. We have different gifts to bring. So it's saying that while we do form one body in church, we also have our own personalized gifts of God to live out outside the church building. In doing what we're individually called to do, it is then that we complete each other through Christ. We all belong to each other in service to Christ, and when we do that, I believe it's then we are also united in Christ.

Attending church every Sunday, or once a week whenever you do, I believe that's important. As I believe it truely unites us with fellow believers and Christ's spirit in the best way we can while on earth. It helps us to carry out our God-given mission for our daily life, and remember who we serve.

But personally, if somehow anyone wasn't able to attend, I don't believe we are doing God disservice. If you can't go because you're sick, you don't wanna get other's sick too right? I think as in this case, say the day after your wedding night, I believe that you are fulfilling/have fulfilled one of the main things God has called you to. I believe that while uniting physically and in all unity with your future spouse in the way God intended, that to me is a great act of worship to God. So while you're not in the physical presents of other believers in a church building, you have just united entirely with your spouse while serving God first by waiting until God says it's right for you to do so. Thus, I believe you are still just as much apart of the church body because you have done a big part to what God has called you. So in all, we are the church.

John 15:10 says, "10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love." We are united to Christ in spirit, "but whowever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit" (1 Corinthians 6:17).

Then some verses I feel really follows that up well is Philippians 2:1-2 "Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind." So while I believe going to a physical church body is so important, and I believe it's essential for a believer, I also think that missing a week or two can't hurt, cuz in this sense you're at least fulfilling God's will for your life. :)

If any questions or whatever fill free to ask!

2 people like this

Take note that I'm not making arguments about not going, cuz I believe it's very important to attend. Just giving some thoughts on why I believe it wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing not going to church a week or two.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure when if we'll go after our wedding night or not!

1 person likes this

Hello -- I'd like to shrae with you my views on the question you posed.....I am a Protestant Christian.

First of all, you have the potential of getting many, many different answers to this question. You're not going to get an "official" Protestant answer, but I do hope that you get a lot of feedback on this.  :)

Also, people have different defintions of what a "Christian" is, and those who are not Roman Catholic, but who would label themselves as Christian, might identify as Prostestant, even if they do not go to church much at all.  For some, being baptized or having membership, or attending a Protestant church one or more times might be enough for them to label themselves a Protestsant Christian.  Because of this, there is going to be a wide variation in beliefs among those who identify as Protestant...

For me personally, church is very important.   I go to church every Sunday unless I'm sick, or unless there is a special circumstance that comes up -- something that is out of the ordinary, and conflicts with church.  These special circumstances are very rare...but I do think that there are things that might come up that would prevent a person from going to church.  

Hmmmm....going to church the weekend of my wedding -- I think I would generally like to go.  However, it would all depend on the circumstances, as well as whatever my husband wanted to do.  It would be something I would want to talk over with him.  I wouldn't feel that if we missed that weekend that it would be awful, but I wouldn't really want to miss going to church together right after the wedding either.    This, I think is a special circumstance that needs to be discussed between the people getting married.  

I also want to say that I think that going to church the weekend of the wedding would set a good precedent for the marriage, and it would show that the couple valued God above their relationship, etc.    Although, I also understand that it may not be possible to go, depending on the location the couple is, and other circumstances.  If my husband and I didn't go to church that weekend, I would want us to do something together that would show that we valued God above each other -- perhaps we would have our own worship time, or whatever....something.

So, really -- these are two questions -- 1.) Would Protestants go to church on the Sunday of their wedding?    And 2.) Do Protestants value going to church every Sunday, in general.

I think it is important to go to church in order to come together with other believers and worship God together, and to encourage one another, and to serve God in community with others, and to be spiritually fed.  I don't know if you have heard about the analogy of the fire before -- but when a lot of sparks are together, the fire is stronger.  But one spark by itself can die out pretty easily.  I want to meet with other believers, and I want to serve God with others.   Therefore, it is essential that I am with a community of believers often.

Also, the Bible tells us not to forsake the fellowship of the believers.....

I'm sure that if you pooled a lot of Roman Catholics, you would find that some of them would share the same views that you have heard from some Protestants -- but you would have to go outside of the church service to find them.  

I also think that honnoring God is important, especially on Sundays, so yes.....it would be a sin to not set aside the day as special in some way, not to worship God at all on it, etc. 

I'm not posting this to condemn people who have different views from me, but just to state where I personally am coming from.  

1 person likes this

I like to go to church every Sunday. It's been harder at college to keep that up, because I meet with my campus ministry every Sunday night, so it's easy to rationalize not going to church because "I'm going to be worshipping Sunday night, anyway." But I like the fellowship that a formal church brings, and I think it's so so incredibly crucial to the Christian faith. Yes, our personal relationships with Jesus are vitally important, but we need each other. God made us for community  :)

Once I'm a pastor, obviously, I'll be going to church every Sunday  :P

1 person likes this

I couldn't help but chime in on this one...

For me going to church each Sunday is very important

and unless I'm working (even then I'll try to rearrange my schedule),

or sick, or something really major, I'm at my service each weekend.

I feel as though I "need" it to feel strengthen, and since I've began attending this really terrific church next door to my place, I feel as though I've gotta be there. Even when on occasion I miss a live service, I'll catch it online when I'm "on the road" (or should I say up in the sky) with work.

I enjoy and feel needed to serve in my church!

I hope my wife of someday feels such a passion to be involved with our church.

2 people like this

I like to go every Wednesday, Friday and sunday but I don't believe it's the most important thing in a Christina faith don't get me wrong it's great to go to a place where you can worship with other believers and whatnot. I do believe you should go to church because God wants you too congregate with his other children but, I don't think it's wrong not to go. I believe that church is a cherry on top of your personal relationship with God, because personal is what matters most. Also I was thinking about what you said about the sabbath and they did celebrate the sabbath but the early church also lived together a lot of the time. So to sum it up I believe church is important but God doesn't get upset when you don't go unless it is for a dumb reason like I don't like the music they play there. Oh and I am from a non denominational church, which is basically a church that tries to follow the bible and nothing else at all.

4 people like this

I don't think I could miss church for anything with that being said, keeping the Sabbath holy means taking an additional step for the Lord on that day along with going to church. For instance, if you pray for 2 hours per day, on the Sabbath you could push that additional 3rd hour or 4th hour etc just my 2 cents...

Thanks for everyone's responses so far! I'm just going to clarify the Catholic Church's position on when it's okay to miss Mass, because some people here have said they'd miss it if they were sick, or whatnot. It's okay to miss Mass if you're sick (general rule is, if you're sick enough that you'd miss work or school or whatnot, then you can miss Mass). It's also okay to miss Mass if you genuinely can't make it to Mass. If you have to work or travel, and there's no way for you to get to Mass, then it's okay: God doesn't expect you to do the impossible. Some people have said that they might not go to church during their honeymoon if there's not a church where they're going. If a Catholic was going on a honeymoon or on holiday where no Mass was available, then that'd be okay, since again, you can't do the impossible (Although, saying that, there are Catholic churches practically everywhere, and I plan to honeymoon in Paris: Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame and a few dozen other churches).

Some people gave reasons of travelling for not going to church, which is fine. I was more interested by the people who said things like (as I said above), they'd "done enough" to serve God by WTM, so it'd be okay for them to have the day off, or that it wasn't necessary to go to church every single Sunday. I was just interested because it sounded like some (not all) non-Catholics didn't think it was a sin to miss church on Sunday without good reason, and I wondered if that was just those particular people who'd answered who thought that, or if that was an actual belief or teaching amongst some Protestant denominations.

Anyway, thought I'd clear that up, because I don't know if I made that clear or not in my first post...

I'm sure that if you pooled a lot of Roman Catholics, you would find that some of them would share the same views that you have heard from some Protestants -- but you would have to go outside of the church service to find them.  

Oh, absolutely. Unfortunately, I think church attendance amongst Catholics isn't always that great (at least here in the UK). Lots of people going to Mass twice a year for Christmas and Easter, and then thinking they're doing really well...

xxx

This made me think of one of my Youth Minister's when I was in high school talking about how he and his wife went to mass on their honeymoon :D! I'm Catholic and going to mass with my guy is one of the things I look forward to, I will get to hug and kiss him every time we offer peace to each other during mass ;)!

2 people like this