Piper

Random: Hunting & Ethics

20 posts in this topic

I know this is extremely random and has nothing to do with WTM, but I saw a thread from a while back that had been sidetracked somewhat by this topic and I was wondering whether there was anyone on here willing to share his/her opinion. I'm writing a report on it and I need as broad a range of positions as I can get. So...do you agree/disagree with hunting and what is your reasoning? Does it still have a place in modern society, even when it isn't necessary for survival? Do you believe that animals have intrinsic worth, or that their worth is measured by how 'useful' they are to humans or to the environments they live in? 

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated! Sorry again for how random this is...

1 person likes this

I disagree with hunting for sport. But hunting for food is a different manner entirely.

6 people like this

I disagree with hunting for sport. But hunting for food is a different manner entirely.

Ditto.

1 person likes this

I also disagree with hunting for sport, there is no need to kill an animal defenseless against a gun.

1 person likes this

Considering how our cruelly our animals are treated in factory farms, I fully support hunting for food. Also, the meat you hunt is natural therefore healthier than factory farmed animals which are injected with so many chemicals.

2 people like this

I hunt for sport and for food. I eat anything and everything I kill. But I also do it because I like it. Walking out into the woods before dawn, sitting in a tree sipping on coffee staring at the stars. Watching the beautiful sunrise and hearing the birds start to chirp...waiting on a furry brown friend to hopefully walk by. And when they do your heart will be racing like it never has before. It's an amazing experience. Hunting is great for the animals, specifically deer. It thins the herd (which in most parts of the country is massively overpopulated) thereby increasing food supply and natural habit and cover for the remaining herd. There's plenty of stories out there of deer starving to death, getting hit by cars, not having large enough habitats...all in part to overpopulation. Hunting is heavily regulated despite what many people think, as it should be. You must be licensed to take an animal and the amount of a particular animal you can take is set forth by the Department of Natural Resources of each state. It's not like it's just random people running into the woods and firing at animals any time they want...despite what some may think. It's highly organized, and in my opinion the ultimate environmentalism. You're helping the deer herd as a whole, you're feeding yourself the most natural food you can possibly find, and the deer population will renew itself year after year. It's a beautiful thing. How a typical deer is killed is MUCH more humane than ANY animal product you will buy in a store.

People always try to make the distinction "I'm against hunting for sport but for hunting for food." People, please understand that they're one in the same for 99.9% of hunters. I've said this before on here; I hunt and have buddies and relatives that do, and I know of countless other acquaintances that hunt and I can tell you that NOT ONE of those people kills an animal without eating it. Or donating it to "Hunters for the Hungry" which is a charitable organization that provides free meals to thousands of needy families every year from wild game. Hunting just for the "rack" and leaving the rest of the animal in the field almost NEVER happens, and it's HIGHLY frowned upon. In fact, I've never even heard of anyone doing it.

There is a lot of misinformation about hunting out there in this day and age. People assume since few people actually HAVE to do it to survive, that it's somehow inhumane. How is it any different from ordering a nice steak at a restaurant? You don't NEED the steak to survive, there are plenty of other things you could eat. An animal was killed for you to eat that steak...same difference here. Well with the exception that the wild animal was more than likely much more humanely killed. And this goes for all wild game, not just deer. Deer happens to be what I hunt the most.

4 people like this

I hunt for sport and for food. I eat anything and everything I kill. But I also do it because I like it. Walking out into the woods before dawn, sitting in a tree sipping on coffee staring at the stars. Watching the beautiful sunrise and hearing the birds start to chirp...waiting on a furry brown friend to hopefully walk by. And when they do your heart will be racing like it never has before. It's an amazing experience. Hunting is great for the animals, specifically deer. It thins the herd (which in most parts of the country is massively overpopulated) thereby increasing food supply and natural habit and cover for the remaining herd. There's plenty of stories out there of deer starving to death, getting hit by cars, not having large enough habitats...all in part to overpopulation. Hunting is heavily regulated despite what many people think, as it should be. You must be licensed to take an animal and the amount of a particular animal you can take is set forth by the Department of Natural Resources of each state. It's not like it's just random people running into the woods and firing at animals any time they want...despite what some may think. It's highly organized, and in my opinion the ultimate environmentalism. You're helping the deer herd as a whole, you're feeding yourself the most natural food you can possibly find, and the deer population will renew itself year after year. It's a beautiful thing. How a typical deer is killed is MUCH more humane than ANY animal product you will buy in a store.

People always try to make the distinction "I'm against hunting for sport but for hunting for food." People, please understand that they're one in the same for 99.9% of hunters. I've said this before on here; I hunt and have buddies and relatives that do, and I know of countless other acquaintances that hunt and I can tell you that NOT ONE of those people kills an animal without eating it. Or donating it to "Hunters for the Hungry" which is a charitable organization that provides free meals to thousands of needy families every year from wild game. Hunting just for the "rack" and leaving the rest of the animal in the field almost NEVER happens, and it's HIGHLY frowned upon. In fact, I've never even heard of anyone doing it.

There is a lot of misinformation about hunting out there in this day and age. People assume since few people actually HAVE to do it to survive, that it's somehow inhumane. How is it any different from ordering a nice steak at a restaurant? You don't NEED the steak to survive, there are plenty of other things you could eat. An animal was killed for you to eat that steak...same difference here. Well with the exception that the wild animal was more than likely much more humanely killed. And this goes for all wild game, not just deer. Deer happens to be what I hunt the most.

I stand with you there DD. i personaly eat 99% of what i kill excluding coyote, aything else from rabbit to elk, to prairie dog is eaten.

On a strictly personal level, I hate hunting.  It's mostly just a bunch of waiting around in complete silence, and when you do succeed in finding your quarry, all you get is gamey meat. 

That said, I would never deny anyone the right to hunt.  It's a fundamental human right, so far as I've concerned; something encoded into the human male at the dawn of time.  It's merely stronger in some of us than in others.  Hunting an animal and killing it for food is much more humane than the alternative of just eating meat raised on a mega-farm.

If I ever go hunting again, it will definitely be for wild pigs.  You're doing the environment a big favor when you hunt those things.

1 person likes this

I disagree with hunting in the sense of going out and killing the biggest strongest deer or animal out there and thinking its a "prize", typical destructive human nature.

1 person likes this

I disagree with hunting in the sense of going out and killing the biggest strongest deer or animal out there and thinking its a "prize", typical destructive human nature.

I agree with this, people hunt and then hang it on their fire place and then they find a great sense of accomplishment that they have shot an innocent animal....

Haha trust me it's an accomplishment. Not nearly as easy as it looks. It's not in the same league as curing a disease or something obviously lol...but believe you me if you've never sat out in the woods for hours on end in freezing weather, stayed still and quiet for hours on end, lined up that perfect shot, controlled your nerves enough to be accurate, skin and clean the animal, you can bet your butt it feels like an accomplishment. And then you have a story when you're grilling delicious deer tenderloins with your friends. Yummy!

1 person likes this

Haha trust me it's an accomplishment. Not nearly as easy as it looks. It's not in the same league as curing a disease or something obviously lol...but believe you me if you've never sat out in the woods for hours on end in freezing weather, stayed still and quiet for hours on end, lined up that perfect shot, controlled your nerves enough to be accurate, skin and clean the animal, you can bet your butt it feels like an accomplishment. And then you have a story when you're grilling delicious deer tenderloins with your friends. Yummy!

Hell yeah, for me its boar but still all the same, its just ya, being a man.

I agree. Getting pleasure/enjoyment out of murdering creatures is rather disturbing. Meat is incredibly healthy for humans and it has been a food source since the dawn of time, so I have no intention of ever going vegetarian. Hunting for food is practically a neccessity, and a lot more humane than how they are treated in slaughterhouses.

2 people like this

Thanks ya'll! Your opinions are much appreciated. :)  I am not a hunter myself and so I guess my viewpoint on hunting has been limited to its use as a tool to manage wildlife populations. It's always very interesting to me to hear where other people are coming from.

I have never been hunting but would be interested in going sometime. I wouldn't kill for sport but for the food. I acknowledge the taking of a life and that it is convenient to draw a line because deer may seem lower than humans, however animals have been hunter for 10,000 years. I believe that we place different values on different animals. For example, I have two cats. I love them very much and would never hunt them. However, a deer to which I have no connection do I have no loss for hunting. That said, I believe we need to be aware of what we are doing. I have no issue firing a gun at a deer, but I would be hard pressed to kill anything else. Again, it depends on the situation. If I was in a remote area and had a rifle and a bear charged me, I would put it down, plain and simple.  

Hunting is fine as long as it's for food. I'm surprised that more people don't start hunting with all the chemicals that are being put into meat nowadays. Seems like chicken, beef, turkey, or something is always on the news. Also, I understand hunting for population control is really important in some areas. But I could never do the hunting. I would be too busy crying. 

Hunting is fine as long as it's for food. I'm surprised that more people don't start hunting with all the chemicals that are being put into meat nowadays. Seems like chicken, beef, turkey, or something is always on the news. Also, I understand hunting for population control is really important in some areas. But I could never do the hunting. I would be too busy crying.

Well if everyone would start hunting for food there would be no animals left to hunt.

Well if everyone would start hunting for food there would be no animals left to hunt.

True, but everyone won't though. As a society we've moved away from that. Not to many people want to get their hands dirty so to speak. Also, good thing that there's limits to how much you can hunt. 

1 person likes this

Not true. The limits on animals would be heightened. Meaning instead of being legally allowed to take say...5 deer per person per season you could only take 1. Or the season would be shortened, etc. DNR knows how many deer (or other animals such as wild turkey) are taken each year, and they adjust the limits accordingly. But over the last 20+ years the limits continue to go up and the seasons get extended, because less and less people hunt. So they have to raise the limits to maintain control of the population. The chances of "everyone" starting to hunt is zero. Hunters seem to be a dying breed sad to say.

Oh I didn't mean like hunting with limits and regulations, I meant just if everyone started hunting at will we could wipe a species out considering people vastly out number wild animals now.