loyalhero90

is giving a guy your phone number a sexual thing?

10 posts in this topic

Of course I know you guys here are not hyper-sexed and fervently respect your own body and thus a woman's body but I am confused by the other men.

Due to a recent encounter with a creep I am utterly confused on the type of signals men equivalate to a sexual invitation. During a recent encounter I gave my phone number to a guy that I was talking to with the thought process that we would just get a coffee sometime or some other non-sexual thing (at least that's what he said). I didn't know he was a creeper and only wanted me for a bed warmer; not even attempting a relationship (I'll try not to rant about him). I was told by a friend that giving away a phone number is for some men a sexual invitation. She elaborated that many women whom she has met frequently give away their phone numbers for sexual encounters.

I am utterly confused by this concept. Maybe since I am still in college or something phone numbers still have a friendly/hang out connotation. The hook-up/sexual part is during club/party encounters. Phone numbers for me are still thought of as being communicative or friendly type thing not a sexual type thing.

Any way I wanted to ask you guys: is giving away your phone actually an invite for sex?

If it has been developed into this then how would a woman communicate with a man any other way that would not convey a sexual connotation? Is it just unavoidable?

Do I have to blindly pick the apples out of the barrel and hope one isn't moldy/worm infested?

*sigh, has the male species fallen so far that we can't even give our numbers out without it being viewed as a sexual invite? No, a guy giving his number does not automatically mean he wants to get in your pants. At the very least if any guy here gave their number away, I can assure you it would not be a sexual invite. Believe it or not, guys use phones purely for communication too. lol

It honestly depends on who it is. If it's some guy at the bar, then yeah he mostly likely wants to climb in bed with you. If it's a guy in your class and he asks for your number to be a study partner, he just wants to study. Chances are, there are no ulterior motives there. Although he may be interested in you, that's always a possibility :)

Rest assured LH90, that your incident is an anomaly. Not all guys give their numbers as a preposition. That would be like saying all girls are hookers just because some women happen to be one :D

Rest assured LH90, that your incident is an anomaly. Not all guys give their numbers as a preposition. That would be like saying all girls are hookers just because some women happen to be one :D

That is true. I was just worried about what my friend was saying in that the phone number exchange was a new sex cultural motive not only by men but by women too. She made it seem like it was very common and almost normal. I thought I had missed something lol.

No it's not, that guy was just a creep. Generally if a guy just want sex in a club, he wont even ask for your number. If a stranger asks for your number on a bus/in a library/in any normal day-to-day setting it generally means he want's to get to know you.

Does your friend have a lot of sex? Because if not, she's probably just been misinformed.

3 people like this

No it's not, that guy was just a creep. Generally if a guy just want sex in a club, he wont even ask for your number. If a stranger asks for your number on a bus/in a library/in any normal day-to-day setting it generally means he want's to get to know you.

Does your friend have a lot of sex? Because if not, she's probably just been misinformed.

My friend is actually a therapist. She mostly gets this information from her patients but she has been in practice for a number of years and seen many women. So maybe I should just chalk it up to psychological disorders with this type of interaction(shrugs). As I dissect his conversation with me I can (through my courses in psychology/neuroscience) think he could have been suffering from a psychological problem; not really a disorder but just a problem. I was just making sure I didn't miss a cultural thing.

1 person likes this

No! Normally it just shows interest---as in you want to talk to this person more, get to know them more, etc....

5 people like this

I actually ask for an e-mail address nowadays. A phone number has become a little more intimate, but I usually make my intentions clear. Somehow, I never have too much trouble earning a lady's trust. Sigh.

Oh man, now I feel really embarrassed for asking my crush for his number. Now I kinda feel disgusted in some way. Who knows what was going through his mind. Great.

Oh man, now I feel really embarrassed for asking my crush for his number. Now I kinda feel disgusted in some way. Who knows what was going through his mind. Great.

Probably "Wow, a girl just asked for my number! So nice that she is willing to take the initiative. I'll try going out with her."

Seriously, your worrying about nothing. :) Giving someone a phone number is not a sexual thing, though some perves might try to hope otherwise.

4 people like this

@Sweety: If a nice girl like you asked me for my number...after a nice chat, that is, I'd honestly not be creeped out..and I'm sure he's not. At the very least, I'd take it as a compliment (sure he's feeling the same) and reciporcate interest...maybe even set up a date. So, relax, like Emulator said...;)

1 person likes this