Invincible

VIDEO RANT #1: Why Twilight is evil :)

34 posts in this topic

Do you have plans for another video rant, Envincable?

I would like to but I'm not sure what the topic should be about. I'm open to anyone's suggestions.

1 person likes this

I've only seen one of the movies, Eclipse, I think, but I know enough about it to find this hilarious

943048_618956124783800_1037286802_n.jpg

I haven't seen any of the movies and I still think this is hilarious! lol

1 person likes this

I honestly thought this Twilight talk was over with and replaced with 50 Shades of Grey, which is much worse I might add and inspired by Twilight. But yeah, I never really cared for Twilight, Edward was just stalkery to me. 

I mean, the only reason he got away with it because he was ATTRACTIVE! I mean, what a terrible message to send to people. 

2 people like this

Vince, you hit the nail on the head with so many points I have talked about for years! I first read Twilight when I was 19 and I hated it from the beginning. I read it because all the girls in my study abroad group were going on and on about it, saying how Edward and Bella have such a neat relationship. I was horrified! Their relationship is the epitome of unhealthy in my opinion. Edward is controlling and a stalker. Also, neither Edward nor Bella has a sense of self since they are basically co-dependent. In a healthy relationship, life goes on when you're not together no matter how long you've been apart. Twilight does not promote having a life outside of a relationship and I find that disappointing some people think that's acceptable or a "neat relationship" as my study abroad friends called it.

I honestly never thought about the suicide thing until you mentioned it. I agree with you that the series does indirectly promote suicide. I can understand maybe having one character who struggles with it at some point. However if an author is going to do that, they should take caution and resolve the issue in a realistic manner. I have no problem with bringing up touchy subjects in literature. If an author's going to do it, they need to realize they have a huge responsibility and how the character(s) involved handle the situation can be more influential than they originally intended it to be.

I have also heard the argument that Twilight promotes WTM, but it does not do it the right way if you ask me. The message Twilight sends is that's ok to get married right out of high school with no aspirations except being together forever with your one true love. It does not instill getting an education or making sure you have a job before you get married. I am a very firm believer that you should have one of those assets if not both. Yes, there are extenuating circumstances in many cases. I'm not bashing people who get married without an education or job, but I don't agree with how Twilight portrays that it's all just going work out without having a plan before you get married.

If I end up having sons or daughters that want to read literature such as Twilight, I actually will let them read it. A mother that I used to babysit for called me up about two years ago and asked me about the Twilight series, since her daughter begged her to read it. I told her my honest opinion that it does not promote strong values. I suggested that she read them first before ultimately making a decision and she was glad she took my advice. She hated the way many issues were dealt with, but ended up allowing her daughter to read them. However, the deal was they had to discuss the issues embedded in the series. I love the way this mother handled it, and I would not hesitate to do the same when the time eventually comes. I think it's the best of both worlds that the child gets to read it like they wanted, yet you can use the book as an opportunity to educate them on real issues in society.

3 people like this

I thought Twilight is evil because it’s less entertaining than Top Gear USA, and that shouldn't be possible.  

2 people like this

I thought Twilight is evil because it’s less entertaining than Top Gear USA, and that shouldn't be possible.

Nothing is less entertaining than Top Gear USA... It shouldn't even be allowed to be called Top Gear...

1 person likes this

On 10/10/2012 at 2:07 AM, Invincible said:

So some of you may know that I've been working on a project that last couple weeks involving a possible series of videos where I rant about random topics relating to WTM or relationships in general. My aim is to "educate and entertain." Depending on the reception of this first video will determine whether I do more in the future or not. If you like it, more will come. If you think it's stupid, I'll stop :) Also, if any of you have suggestions of topics for future videos, let me know. I hope you enjoy it!

This is really an awesome video @Invincible and I agree  with everything that you said...

Unfortunately, in my area, I had come to the same realisation as you : many young girls and teenage girls alike, fall for this "vampire" stuff and are led to believe that being in an abusive relationship is something so romantic.

That is absolutely dangerous and many girls are trapped today in unhealthy relationships because of such lies.

I've tried to do the same thing as you in french, but not in video...It was in writing an article on my french blog.

I confess that I think that you have a beautiful voice :) And the way you express yourself is pleasant.

Recently, I had ideas regarding "50 shades of grey". This movie, adapted from the books, has so many success... That is horrific , awful ....  I wish Icoul protect all the young innocent hearts from the consequences of this evil  :mellow:

1 person likes this