Invincible

VIDEO RANT #1: Why Twilight is evil :)

34 posts in this topic

So some of you may know that I've been working on a project that last couple weeks involving a possible series of videos where I rant about random topics relating to WTM or relationships in general. My aim is to "educate and entertain." Depending on the reception of this first video will determine whether I do more in the future or not. If you like it, more will come. If you think it's stupid, I'll stop :) Also, if any of you have suggestions of topics for future videos, let me know. I hope you enjoy it!

14 people like this

I liked the video quite a lot. I am a fan of the Twilight series and have the movies on DVD. I have never read the books, because by the time I watched the first movie (I was 14 at the time) it was too late to find out it was based on a book and since I already watched it I had no desire to read it. I was young and obviously thought of it as this romantic modern day Romeo and Juliet kind of thing. I never realized it was sending all the wrong messages. Although the older I got the more of the red flags I saw in this movie, but I'm glad you made this video. I like Twilight purely based on the fact that it is fiction and just a movie. I never took it seriously, I certainly never wished to marry a vampire lol. I understand your concern though, young girls may not know better and take these negative things as a advice, bad advice it is. I liked the video, you make a lot good points, some parts made me laugh too, like when you were frustrated about the vampires and the sunlight lol. I definitely think you should keep making videos. :)

5 people like this

ahahaha I LOVE IT!! Vince, you shared so many of the same points I've had about Twilight!

I will admittedly share that I have been a fan of the books before (not so much the movies but whatever) but I really only saw it as a cute romance story. When I looked closer and thought about the actual content of the plot and characters, I realized that it really sets a bad example for young teenage girls!

First off, as you mentioned, Bella has no personality, and NO REAL ASPIRATIONS of her own. Seriously. This girl has no dreams of what she wants to accomplish in life except to date/marry a vampire and life with him forever. She makes it sound as if her life is worthless if this guy (who let's not forget is a murderous vampire) doesn't love her.

Secondly, Edward is controlling and manipulative. It's easy to get lost in the 'flowery' words of Mrs. Meyer, and it may seem like Edward is acting chivalrous and protective in his behaviour, but what it really comes down to is the fact that the two main characters share an abusive relationship. He won't "let" her go and see her friend Jacob (under the guise of his being a "dangerous werewolf" and al that). You take away the supernatural element to this story and what do you get? A boyfriend who cuts of his girlfriend's social group because he doesn't like them and wants to have more control over her...

This is not the sort of role model I would want for my future daughter....or even for my future son to behave this way!

2 people like this

I agree with EVERYTHING you said especially about how the movie is a corrupted lie about WTM. Also to me Bella is sooo spoiled. She has a dad, a mom, friends, even human guys who crush on her and she gives up EVERYTHING for the vampire. Many people make it out like she has this strong personality and that her life is so empty and unfulfilled completely ignoring that her "best friend" Jacob has no mom, a dad bound to a wheel chair and no prospects of college since he is a freakin' animal. But nooo poor Bella' life is just too boring and she has to live forever at the expense of watching all that she "loves" basically die.

I do not want my daughter or son to think choosing forever with a popsicle is better than their family. Nothing annoys me more than when girls say Bella is a "caring" person. She has got to be the most selfish person in the world. She uses the werewolf dude as a rebound and then ditches him in the dirt when Edward tries to commit suicide. Then after the werewolf fights to protect her from another vampire and has his ribs crushed she decides to fully dump him while he is recovering; on the night after the war mind you. I would also never want any of my children dumping someone after they tried to protect them.

Also on the abusive note you missed Sam. Sam is the one who got so angry with his "imprint" Emily that he almost slashed her face off. I love how both the books and movies just gloss over this fact. I love how people never bring up how a girl is deformed and basically forever tied to her abuser because of this "imprint".

Also the book has no touch with reality and vampires. NOTHING can kill vampires basically at least nothing human. No sunlight, holy water, stakes, crosses...just nothing. And the vampires are actually civil beings who even are under the control of an authority. If I was a vampire in that book I would have been ruling the world in under a month if nothing could kill me. I would have a legion of vampires in under 1 week. I just...I just don't understand it...sorry about the rant.

And don't even get me started about the acting of Kristen Stewart and her affair with that director...

3 people like this

Ah, I was wondering when you would post this! You make a lot of great points, Vince! And this coming from someone who enjoyed reading these books. :)

3 people like this

Wow, I haven't read the books and have only seen one of the movies (I wasn't terribly impressed with it). Never knew all of those themes were in this series and considering how popular it is, that is sad and scary. I have always been partial to Cinderella :rolleyes:.

loyalhero90-My teacher read a book to us in 5th grade, Tuck Everlasting. In it, a girl meets a boy whose family now live forever after drinking from a spring. The boy wants her to drink from it also so they can be together, but she decides not to. She did the opposite of Bella and chose her family. It was also made into a movie.

3 people like this

Love this video Vince, I'd subscribe to you :P

I remember reading these books, and I remember going through each of the three characters and hating them all at one point. I can't remember which order it went in, but it went something like:

- Oh Edward left Bella, he's stupid and how could he hurt her like that? I hate him.

- Oh, now Jacob's doing the wrong thing (I can't remember what it was that annoyed me about him). I hate him.

- Oh, now Bella's using both of them to get her own way. I hate her.

Suddenly I ran out of main characters that I liked, so that basically ended my already low enjoyment for the book.

You made some other great points that I didn't notice the first time through.

I'd love to see you do a rant on gun laws - mainly because I think our opinions are going to differ greatly and I'd love a healthy debate ;)

1 person likes this

Yay! That was awesome, Vince! And when you mentioned my name, I honestly said, "Whooo! Shout-out!" out loud...

That series really is awful. I really need to hurry up and write my book and get that published...

Next video: MTV music videos, song lyrics, and the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. Basically, a video about how everything nowadays seems to be so WTM-unfriendly. You may use the frog analogy again if you wish. (I didn't come up with it, anyway, so it's not like you need my permission...)

xxx

1 person likes this

Cool video Vince. Loved it to the max. Loved the seriousness and the humour. Kudu's my man... Honestly .. never read the books, nor saw the movies. And not a fan of fantasy novels. That my beloved friends, thats why I read "facts" books :)

But to be serious, like Vince describe the characters, they doesn't sound like bunch to write home about. I think the younger generation read the book or books superficially. They don't read between the lines, or look deeper in the character development.

And its like you guys mention above... any human being mustn't be blind and say, "that she had her modern day problems and he was so deeply in love with her.. so they are forgiven", even if he's a creep etc etc.. its preposterous ..

but anyway Vince .. cool vid.. thumbs up :)

1 person likes this

First off, as you mentioned, Bella has no personality, and NO REAL ASPIRATIONS of her own. Seriously. This girl has no dreams of what she wants to accomplish in life except to date/marry a vampire and life with him forever. She makes it sound as if her life is worthless if this guy (who let's not forget is a murderous vampire) doesn't love her.

Secondly, Edward is controlling and manipulative. It's easy to get lost in the 'flowery' words of Mrs. Meyer, and it may seem like Edward is acting chivalrous and protective in his behaviour, but what it really comes down to is the fact that the two main characters share an abusive relationship. He won't "let" her go and see her friend Jacob (under the guise of his being a "dangerous werewolf" and al that). You take away the supernatural element to this story and what do you get? A boyfriend who cuts of his girlfriend's social group because he doesn't like them and wants to have more control over her...

This is not the sort of role model I would want for my future daughter....or even for my future son to behave this way!

Great point, jess! Bella is a terrible role model for girls. She's weak, no real life goals and defines her worth solely on the relationships with other guys. I think this is already a big problem with many girls. Having these books validating that problem makes things worse.

But nooo poor Bella' life is just too boring and she has to live forever at the expense of watching all that she "loves" basically die.

Yes! All my points regarding Bella as a bad role model can be summed up in your one sentence. She was willing to change her entire being to be with Edward, even so far as giving up her own humanity and becoming a vampire to be with him forever. This is the kind of message that is paraded by society to girls, that you're not pretty enough or good enough the way you are and you must change yourself to achieve happiness or perfection.

Also on the abusive note you missed Sam. Sam is the one who got so angry with his "imprint" Emily that he almost slashed her face off. I love how both the books and movies just gloss over this fact. I love how people never bring up how a girl is deformed and basically forever tied to her abuser because of this "imprint".

Thanks for reminding me! Yeah, the imprinting idea is just plain creepy. That sounds like you become "one flesh" with the person you imprint whether the other person likes it or not. It's like an involuntary rape or something like that. It's even much worse when a full grown adult imprints themselves to a child or an infant. Stephanie Meyer must have been smoking weapon's grade cocaine when she was writing this series. That woman is just plain sick.

Also the book has no touch with reality and vampires. NOTHING can kill vampires basically at least nothing human. No sunlight, holy water, stakes, crosses...just nothing. And the vampires are actually civil beings who even are under the control of an authority. If I was a vampire in that book I would have been ruling the world in under a month if nothing could kill me. I would have a legion of vampires in under 1 week. I just...I just don't understand it...sorry about the rant.

Very good point, LH! The vampires in the books seem to share the same emotions and desires as human beings. Greed and lust for power are among them. It is highly implausible given their extraordinary powers that there wasn't some large vampire moment to try to enslave humanity. Immense power can corrupt and it is highly tempting to abuse it.

I have always been partial to Cinderella :rolleyes:.

Thank you! What's with all the fascination with bad boys these days? What ever happened to good old fashioned fairy tales of a chivalrous Prince Charming who treats a girl like a princess? Well, she already is a princess, but you get what I mean :)

I'd love to see you do a rant on gun laws - mainly because I think our opinions are going to differ greatly and I'd love a healthy debate ;)

Stiggy, I originally was going to keep my videos WTM or relationship related, but that is a GREAT idea! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that myself! Although gun laws is a pretty broad topic to discuss. Was there something specific about gun laws you wanted me to talk about?

Yay! That was awesome, Vince! And when you mentioned my name, I honestly said, "Whooo! Shout-out!" out loud...

That series really is awful. I really need to hurry up and write my book and get that published...

Next video: MTV music videos, song lyrics, and the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. Basically, a video about how everything nowadays seems to be so WTM-unfriendly. You may use the frog analogy again if you wish. (I didn't come up with it, anyway, so it's not like you need my permission...)

xxx

Glad you liked it, Jegs! Thanks again for helping me with the ideas! I can't wait to read your book when you finish it :) Also thanks for your topic suggestions. Though I highly doubt I'd do the Grey series just because it was so badly written that I just don't want to bother reading it. But the other suggestions I am totally up for :)

this I must post quickly hehehehe .. just for a bit of humour

pictures-celebrity-This-Is-A-Vampire-And-This-Is-Not.jpg

Eugene, you are the man!

1 person likes this

Stiggy, I originally was going to keep my videos WTM or relationship related, but that is a GREAT idea! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that myself! Although gun laws is a pretty broad topic to discuss. Was there something specific about gun laws you wanted me to talk about?

Hmm, well my personal opinion is that requiring a person to own a gun by law is outrageous and dangerous. I think gun and other weapon ownership should be heavily regulated and policed. In Australia following the Port Arthur Massacre (depressing, but worth a research if you're interested) our Prime Minister at the time changed the laws and made many Australians hand in their guns. Thoughts?

Hmm, well my personal opinion is that requiring a person to own a gun by law is outrageous and dangerous. I think gun and other weapon ownership should be heavily regulated and policed. In Australia following the Port Arthur Massacre (depressing, but worth a research if you're interested) our Prime Minister at the time changed the laws and made many Australians hand in their guns. Thoughts?

I'm still a little confused. Do you want me to talk about what I think of gun control in Australia specifically or in general? I'm trying to get a better idea of what exactly you'd like me to talk about in regards to gun laws because it's a very broad topic.

I guess how you think gun laws should be regulated, what you say to people that tell you that you should hand in your guns, etc.

It's your show - I was just planting the seed!

1 person likes this

I guess how you think gun laws should be regulated, what you say to people that tell you that you should hand in your guns, etc.

It's your show - I was just planting the seed!

Okay then, your seed has been planted and you've given me more of a focus now. I might do one more video that is more WTM/relationship related first, but your idea with be the following one. Thanks for the topic suggestion Stiggy, now I'm getting giddy just thinking about it :)

2 people like this

Glad you liked it, Jegs! Thanks again for helping me with the ideas! I can't wait to read your book when you finish it :)Also thanks for your topic suggestions. Though I highly doubt I'd do the Grey series just because it was so badly written that I just don't want to bother reading it. But the other suggestions I am totally up for :)

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you should actually read the Grey series (they're too icky), but you know from summaries and whatnot online what they're about, and you could focus more on how they've affected the culture, e.g, now bookshops are stocking loads of similar books, and actually putting them out on display at the front of the store (well, they are over here, but I assume bookstores in the US do the same thing...)

xxx

Well dang. I actually like Twilight :(

**Runs from angry anti-Twilight mob**

I do understand your side Vince and yes, though it pains me to admit it, you have some valid points. But I still like it :P

Thank you! What's with all the fascination with bad boys these days? What ever happened to good old fashioned fairy tales of a chivalrous Prince Charming who treats a girl like a princess? Well, she already is a princess, but you get what I mean :)

Hmmm, I honestly don't know. I have never liked a bad boy :).

1 person likes this

I've only seen one of the movies, Eclipse, I think, but I know enough about it to find this hilarious

943048_618956124783800_1037286802_n.jpg

3 people like this

I've only seen one of the movies, Eclipse, I think, but I know enough about it to find this hilarious

943048_618956124783800_1037286802_n.jpg

Was the baby really his soulmate? I thought he was going to be like a guardian of the baby or something...

Was the baby really his soulmate? I thought he was going to be like a guardian of the baby or something...

I think she was. Since he imprinted on her or something, I'm not sure but I think that means they're meant to be together now or something. 

Do you have plans for another video rant, Envincable?

1 person likes this