Sophie

Favourite bands/singers?

22 posts in this topic

I know there is already a thread about music but it is asking about songs, and I am wondering about bands/singers. I listen to English, German, and Japanese music so I have a bit of a list:

English female bands/singers: Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne

English male bands/singers: Simple Plan, Hedley, and Marilyn Manson

English mixed gender bands: The Pretty Reckless

German female bands/singers: LaFee and Luttenberger*Klug

German male bands/singers: Tokio Hotel

Japanese female bands/singers: Ayumi Hamasaki and Ayaka

Japanese male bands/singers: FLOW

Japanese mixed gender bands: Do As Infinity

As you can see, I listen to English and Japanese music more. German Pop music (pop is my favourite genre) isn't very good at all.

I have loved Gavin DeGraw for years as well as Maroon 5, Songs About Jane is really great. Fun is the first new band in a long time that I have gotten excited about. "We Are Young" and "Some Nights" are the two singles out, at least in the US. I will listen to a lot of different genres and will listen to Top 40 radio stations, but those are my favorites :).

There are really too many to list, but some that come to mind include Switchfoot, Out of Eden, Fireflight, Paramore, Michelle Branch, Taylor Swift, Mandisa, Tenth Avenue North, Colbie Callait, and Tyrone Wells.

2 people like this

I love Switchfoot too! I have seen them in concert several times and they are always great! Their songs can be so touching and powerful.

3 people like this

I got time to kill and a captive audience. So here's some of my favorite music acts and a description of why I like them, along with some of their best stuff for possible YouTube perusal.

Ween - From country, to prog rock, to techno, to punk metal, Ween has done it all. They approach artsy music with slacker èlan and a complete lack of pretentiousness. Though they're capable of producing truly profound music, they prefer for their tunes to have a goofy, satirical edge. Suggested songs: Happy Colored Marbles, Object, Pork Roll Egg & Cheese, Someday

The Residents - If you want to estrange friends and family, submit them to The Residents, one of the weirdest, most unpredictable (and longest-running!) musical acts ever conceived. Describing the Residents is like describing mauve to a blind person. I like to listen to their music when I go on walks, quietly trying to unravel their often puzzling lyrics. Suggested listening material: Perfect Love, On the Way to Oklahoma, Picnic Boy, Harry the Head

Raymond Scott - The closest modern equivalent of Johann Sebastian Bach. Quite possibly the most influential musician of the 20th century, and yet he is most known for his music appearing in Looney Tunes shorts. He was making electronic music in the 50's. THE 1950'S. Rock and roll hadn't even become fully mainstream yet, and this guy was a full half-century ahead of the rest of the world. Suggestions?: Powerhouse, Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals, Lullaby, The Rhythm Modulator

Primus - Best known for composing the South Park theme song, Primus is a distinctive funk/metal/alternative/rockabilly group which often switches up the roles of the lead guitar and bass. A song or three (or four): Lee Van Cleef, John the Fisherman, Over the Falls, Lacquer Head

Tobacco, aka Black Moth Super Rainbow - Both bands are headed by a really creative guy named Tom Fec. Intensely rhythmic music that sounds the wail of a heartbroken computer, Tobacco often uses samples from old commercials and TV shows to produce his unique sound. As Tobacco: Overheater, Gross Magik, as Black Moth Super Rainbow: Iron Lemonade, I Think it's Beautiful that You are 256 Colors Too

The Fiery Furnaces - A music journalist once described the Fiery Furnaces as 'The Who for ADD-stricken people.' Being someone with a rather short attention-span myself, I can say that's a pretty apt description. Stuff: Paw Paw Tree (quite possibly my favorite 2000's-era song), Blueberry Boat, Tropical Ice-Land, Clear Signal From Cairo

1 person likes this

Lifehouse is my favorite! But I love soo many of many types. Not really into rap or heavy metal but I recognize how much talent goes into making those kinds of music. I love the whole concept of music and how there seems to be something for everyone. :)

I've never had a favorite, but now I do. My fav. artist is Jamie Grace. (Although I really like plenty of others and other songs a lot).

Others artists include Mandisa, Kutless, FFH, Lemonade Mouth, Hillsong/ Hillsong United, and many, many more.

Some songs I like include "Stronger"- Kelly Clarkson,

"Call me Maybe"- Carly Rae Jepsen,

"No Matter What" Kerri Roberts,

"Blessings"- Laura Story,

"One step at a time"- Jordin Sparks,

"Bless the Broken Road"- Rascal Flatts (Jamie does a nice cover of this)

And many, many more, but that's to name a few ^_^

Band: All Time Low

Rapper: Eminem, Kanye West, Drake

Singer: Carrie Underwood & Taylor Swift

I listen to everything from rap to classical to country to rock to pop, r&b and much more.

Some singers I like are Corinne Bailey Rae, Adele, P!nk and Alicia Keys.

Bands I like would probably be Maroon 5, Train, No Doubt (but not really liking their new music), for King and Country

That's all I can think of. I do like other artist but it's mostly like one or two songs that I will listen to

Revived topic :D

I'm just going to list a ton of my favorite artists.. In Alphabetical order (Be impressed) :D

A-Ha

Abba

Ace of Base

Adam Ant

Adam Sandler (He has a few comedy songs)

Adele

Aerosmith

Airbourne

Al Green

Al Jarreau

Alex Gopher

Alice Cooper

Allison Weiss

America

Amos Lee

Animals

Anna Nalick

Arlo Guthrie 

Avril Lavigne

The-B52's

B.J. Thomas

Bad Company

The Band

Band Of Horses

Barenaked Ladies

Barry Louis Polisar

The Beatles

Bee Gees

Belinda Carlisle

Ben E. King

Beyonce

Bill Medley

Bill Withers

Billy Bragg

Billy Idol

Billy Joel

Billy Squier

The Black Keys

Black Sabbath

Blind Willie Johnson

Blondie

The Bloodhound Gang

Blue Oyster Cult

Blues Traveler

Bob Dylan

Bob Marley

Bob Seger

Bobby Darin

Bobby McFerrin

Bon Jovi

Boston

Boz Scaggs

Bright Eyes

Bruce Springsteen

Bruno Mars

Bryan Adams

Buffalo Springfield

The Buggles

Butterfly Boucher

The Byrds

Cage The Elephant

Camera Obscura

Carl Orff

Carrie Underwood

The Cars

Cat Stevens

Celine Dion

Chairlift

Charlie Daniels Band

The Chemical Brothers

Cher

Cher Lloyd

Chic

Chiddy Bang

Christina Perri

Chumbawamba

Citizen Cope

The Clash

Clint Mansell

Cold Play

Cole Porter

Coolio

Corinne Bailey Rae

Counting Crows

Creedence Clearwater

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

The Cure

Cutting Crew

Cyndi Lauper

Dan Fogelberg

478 More not listing the rest.

Band: All Time Low

Rapper: Eminem, Kanye West, Drake

Singer: Carrie Underwood & Taylor Swift

I listen to everything from rap to classical to country to rock to pop, r&b and much more.

i love all time low!

in middle school my friends and i were obsessed with them :]

1 person likes this

i love all time low!

in middle school my friends and i were obsessed with them :]

All Time Low is the All Time Best!

One day I'm gonna Paint My Wings, be among the Heroes, I'm gonna feel Weightless flying Somewhere In Neverland speeding Too Much while Remembering Sunday. I hope I don't have to deal with too many Sick Little Games or ever go through Therapy.

I tried to use their song titles. It didn't make much sense though!

Maroon 5
The Script
Swedis House Mafia
Saliva
Trapt
Chris Daughtry
Ellie Goluding
Eminem (1st Single I bought was The Marshall Mathers LP) Been a fan ever since.
Papa Roach
Panic at the disco
Mumford and sons (Best song is I Will Wait) 
If would like to dance
Yellowcard

1 person likes this

Female Singers: Jessie J, Amy Lee (evanescence), Mariah Carey, Jewel, Alanis Morrisette, Marsha ambrosius( Floetry), Pat Benetar, Celine Dion, Gloria Estafan, Janet Jackson (old school), Toni braxton, Tamar braxton.  I loooove hearing the braxtons harmonize, I wish I could harmonize with my sister that would be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OJ5UPZhHK0

Male Singers: Maxwell, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Phil collins, Tyrese (old school), Kc and jojo.

Bands: Rage Against the machine, Nirvana, Metallica, Destinys child, Matchbox 20, Kaiser chiefs, Oasis, the cranberries, Blink 182...Waaaay too many to name so I'll stop now :)... Man I miss the 90s.

Continued from my previous post

Mumford and sons (Best song is I Will Wait)

Sums up my thoughts on waiting and just a great song.

Xfactor UK Winner James Arthur

Micheal Branch

Vanessa Carlton (Fav song is A Thousand Miles)

Rob Thomas

MaxwellðŸ˜- Future, favorite rapper- Jesse Powell-Aaliyah- Corrinne Bailey Ray-Tupac-Yiruma (piano music) -â¤musiq soulchild -Jesse McCartney(his voice isn't studio-made even though I haven't listened to him in a while)-Robin thicke-list goes on but the first 4 are the real real favorites:)

I think I'm going to need to take some time to read everyone else's responses, because I need some new stuff to listen to.

However, just to name a few of my favs...

Frank Sinatra, Michael Bublé, 3 Doors Down, Evanescence, Lullacry, Rob Thomas, The Beach Boys, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, The Ratpack, The Beatles, etc etc etc.