MarriageMaterial

Proposing

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys!

So I've been watching youtube videos of proposals lately following RJ's post in the religious topics section where she posted a really touching video of a proposal. It's getting me jealous that you guys get to do all the fun planning behind a proposal!! Here are some of my favourite videos...

So, have you any plans about how your proposal to your future wife would go?

3 people like this

Just a question, can a girl propose?? I know it's not tradition per se, but can a girl propose to the guy??

Of course a girl can propose to a guy if she so wishes! February 29th (i.e. on leap years) is traditionally a day where the girl can propose to a guy. But I suppose there's nothing really preventing girls from proposing at any time if they really want to do it.

LOL, okay, since we are now in a proposal video sharing mood around here, I must add this one:

"Love Letters" by worldofjeff

Her reaction: "Jeff & Natasha - A Perfect Proposal"

I found this several years ago, and absolutely love it. He followed this video up with animated invitations to their wedding and an animated birth announcement, also on YouTube.

2 people like this

I actually have a question...

What do you gentlemen on here think of a girl proposing??

I just think it would be interesting to see the answers...

It's getting me jealous that you guys get to do all the fun planning behind a proposal!!

Girls have their wedding planning and guys have their proposal planning I guess. Plus it's the girl who gets to enjoy the surprise and attention from the proposal :) And that movie theater proposal is simply epic! It was so perfectly executed too. But I bet the audience was like, "Can we watch the movie now?"

What do you gentlemen on here think of a girl proposing??

Nope, it's impossible and against the law. jk! Are they able to? Sure. Should they? I don't think so. I'm way old-fashioned in this regard. Guys traditionally are the ones who pursue girls and I just think it's much more romantic that way. I want to do it the "proper" way. I'm going to ask her parents for their blessing, plan the proposal in the most creative and meaningful way I can muster, then execute it. If in the event a girl proposes to me, I would have to say no....then I would get down on my knee and propose to her :)

February 29th (i.e. on leap years) is traditionally a day where the girl can propose to a guy.

That's actually an old Irish tradition if I'm not mistaking. There was a chick flick called "Leap Year" with Amy Adams and some Irish dude whose name I can't remember which surrounds that tradition. Not that I watched it or anything, a friend just told me about it >_>

So, have you any plans about how your proposal to your future wife would go?

I was going to share my amazing idea, but then I decided against it. The reason is because I realized that there is a chance my future wife may be a member of this forum. If she is, I don't want to spoil the surprise ;) What I will say though, is that I do plan to capture the moment on film. That is all I will say.

Here are a couple of good proposal videos I found

1 person likes this

it's not something i ordinarily share, but i will do so here because all of you are so sincere and so earnest that i feel literally obliged to share my small examples where I can and where I hope you will appreciate them vs think of me as a generation or more beyond you :-).

My wife and I were still playing long distance relationship when we ultimately got engaged. I was visiting her for a long weekend in February - and i had known in my heart and soul that she was The One and that it was just a matter of time and timing for us to say it aloud to each other and to everyone we know... but we hadn't quite crossed the threshold yet.... until it was Sunday of that weekend... and we were in church together, as was our habit. And all through the service, I was filled with God's voice and his urging and his blessing and his will. And I very very very (I mean very) nervously looked to my wife when the service was over and we were gathering our things to get up and leave and i tunred to her... and asked her the most important question of our lives... would she marry me... and she was stunned and literally stumped for words.... and my heart leapt as she smiled, and eventually found the words to say yes.

My story is to tell all of you .... that yes sometimes it's all about the planning of a once in a lifetime moment, and sometimes it's about generally knowing when it really is time, and letting the spirit of it all find you and find the exact instant. :-) I didn't know i would do it after church... but I knew i wanted to ask that wonderful woman to marry me more than anything...

the right moment... is the moment it happens... and there will always be a story for that moment whether it was preplanned, spontaneous or well orchestrated. :-) a proposal's magic is that two people know it's time... magic isn't the special and uber-planned circumstances... special is when two people get there at the same time and are ready. :-)

9 people like this

Oh no! I am exhibiting signs of looking-up-proposals-on-Youtube addiction! One leads to another... and another... and another...

Okay, so here are a good few ones I wanted to share with you all:

"Unique Marriage Proposal - My Girl"

"A Man's Romantic Proposal to His Girlfriend on a Dock in Oregon"

"Starbucks Proposal Story"

Can't stop watching! Feels so good! *Sinks further into addiction* CAN'T STOP WATCHING!!!!!!!

P.S. Ian, I like your proposal story! The planned proposals are cute and fun, but yours sounds so romantic and heartfelt! I love that you just knew that you had to ask her, right then and there! All proposals, whether planned or spontaneous, are wonderful when they unite two people who love each other dearly. My father proposed to my mother often, with varying levels of formality, throughout their five years of dating, and she always said yes. His official proposal came with a ring, but the first time he asked her to marry him, according to legend, was when she was admiring a $40 lamp at the hardware store. He offered to buy it for her if she'd agree to marry him. She did, and the rest is history!

4 people like this

Ahhh! I can't find the video I want to share with y'all, but if I do, I'll come back and edit. Y'all already know this romantic hearted girl loves to watch proposal videos, so of course I liked them all!

Ian, I also like your story! I think that's very meaningful and shows that you knew when you knew, and didn't hesitate. That's romantic in its own right. Very sweet! :)

Hmm, maybe I'm totally unromamtic, but I don't like the idea of a big youtube proposal. I'd like it to be small and sweet. I like the idea of having that be a small intimate moment you can share with your man instead of an exhibit for the whole world. Idk, I've had this talk with a lot of my girlfriends and they all want it big, flash mobs, and dance numbers. What happened to good old fashioned one knee? But if you guys want an idea of what your girl would like, just ask her friends because I guarantee every girl has had this discussion :)

1 person likes this

Hmm, maybe I'm totally unromamtic, but I don't like the idea of a big youtube proposal. I'd like it to be small and sweet. I like the idea of having that be a small intimate moment you can share with your man instead of an exhibit for the whole world. Idk, I've had this talk with a lot of my girlfriends and they all want it big, flash mobs, and dance numbers. What happened to good old fashioned one knee? But if you guys want an idea of what your girl would like, just ask her friends because I guarantee every girl has had this discussion :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have never really wanted to be proposed to in public: those televised proposals, where there is a big audience, and the girl has no chance to really take it in because she's being watched, have never appealed to me. I would like it to be intimate, like you said, with just him and me, though it could still be very elaborately planned, and if there were some hidden cameras so I could watch it later, that would be great; that way we could share it with our friends and family. It could have big, public elements, like sky-writing, as long as we were alone when he actually asked. While I love watching all of the dance numbers and flash mobs, I just don't think that is for me, though in the end, it won't matter how he asked, just that he did ask! :)

I also wouldn't want one of those ring hidden in the food proposals; there is far too much potential for disaster! :D

I will be proposing in under 2 years. Do girls still like the one knee thing?

Oh yeah, we definitely like the one knee thing! Or at least, I know I would! :)

Best wishes! I am excited that things are going so well for you! :D