Sophie

What does your religion say about WTM and sex?

6 posts in this topic

I know most people here are Christians, but I know there are different denominations and I'm not sure how they vary from each other on this subject (or any subjects, actually.)

I am Jewish and the Torah does not prohibit pre-marital sex. This doesn't mean that it approves of pre-marital sex, but it just isn't viewed as a sin. Also, the child resulting in pre-marital sex is not considered "illegitimate" or a "bastard." The Hebrew word for that is mamzer. But WTM is considered to be ideal. Ironically, the Torah clearly prohibits male masturbation. Weird, huh? Well I'm an atheist and I've never touched a Torah, but my dad's partner taught me this.

As a Christian, the Bible's pretty clear on God's views of pre-marital sex. We are encouraged to flee fornication, to abstain from fleshly lusts and to treat our bodies as the temple of the Living God. Marriage was instituted by God as the only acceptable situation for a sexual relationship.

All of those views above are taken from scripture - I'll post them later if I think about it, I'm writing this in a hurry so I can get enough sleep tonight :P

Alrighty, here goes. This is going to be a some-what long post I mind you.

What truly angers God is willful sin, when you know you are sinning and keep on participating in that sin.

Our world has gotten lax about sex, making it seem like premarital sex is okay because it feels good, but the Bible does not agree. God calls us all to control our passions and wait for marriage. As a Christian you fight off temptation every day. Being tempted is not the sin, but giving into the temptation is.

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to us all. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." -Corinthians 10:13

Sex and love are very different, but they are meant to complement one another. If you are in love it does not mean you should have sex. Sex is an act. Love is an emotion. They are very different, and it can be dangerous to mix them up. You should never feel like you have to have sex with someone just because you want to show them you love them. There are plenty of non-sexual ways to show your love to someone.

We are told as Christians in 1 Corinthians 6:18-20, "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins people commit are outside their bodies, but those who sin sexually sin against their own bodies. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." Here's another verse, "Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral."

So, there's some things to think about. Personally, I wouldn't want to upset him. Even if not for God, I would be a hypocrite, liar, etc. etc. if I gave into pre-marital sex now. I would fall into the temptation, and I would be considered just another statistic. If I were to gave in, I would feel shame, guilt, dissapointment, etc. So, I hope I gave you some things to consider, and I hope this makes sense.

Edit: Also, we become one flesh. Marriage is meant to unite man and wife, in every aspect imaginable. Sex will be the final act that will ultimately show our love for one another in that marriage. Sex is God's gift to those who marry. So, sex in the boundaries of marriage and only marriage with only one spouse, God says it is very good. God created sex for marriage. Plain as that. He MADE IT FOR MARRIAGE, nothing else.

3 people like this

There's a weird misconception that the Catholic Church is "down on sex", because we have a lot of rules about it. Obviously, that's a crazy argument. We've got a lot of rules about who can and cannot receive the Eucharist, but it'd be stupid to say the Church must be "down on the Eucharist".

Rather, we hold that sex is something sacred and beautiful, and is only supposed to be enjoyed in marriage. Marriage on earth is really preparation for what is to come in the next life: the heavenly marriage between humanity and divinity. But sex within marriage is seen as a kind of "taster" of the next life. In the marital act, a husband and wife literally become "one flesh", just as in Heaven, humanity will become "one" with God. Also, God is the author of human life, but in marriage, He allows a husband and wife to participate with Him in creating new people. That is an incredible responsibility, and one reason why sex should never be taken lightly.

Therefore, if people have sex outside of marriage, or do anything within marriage which doesn't respect God's design, then it's seen as a sin. Something as important as sex has to be respected.

xxx

1 person likes this

Alrighty, here goes. This is going to be a some-what long post I mind you.

What truly angers God is willful sin, when you know you are sinning and keep on participating in that sin.

Our world has gotten lax about sex, making it seem like premarital sex is okay because it feels good, but the Bible does not agree. God calls us all to control our passions and wait for marriage. As a Christian you fight off temptation every day. Being tempted is not the sin, but giving into the temptation is.

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to us all. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." -Corinthians 10:13

Sex and love are very different, but they are meant to complement one another. If you are in love it does not mean you should have sex. Sex is an act. Love is an emotion. They are very different, and it can be dangerous to mix them up. You should never feel like you have to have sex with someone just because you want to show them you love them. There are plenty of non-sexual ways to show your love to someone.

We are told as Christians in 1 Corinthians 6:18-20, "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins people commit are outside their bodies, but those who sin sexually sin against their own bodies. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." Here's another verse, "Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral."

So, there's some things to think about. Personally, I wouldn't want to upset him. Even if not for God, I would be a hypocrite, liar, etc. etc. if I gave into pre-marital sex now. I would fall into the temptation, and I would be considered just another statistic. If I were to gave in, I would feel shame, guilt, dissapointment, etc. So, I hope I gave you some things to consider, and I hope this makes sense.

Edit: Also, we become one flesh. Marriage is meant to unite man and wife, in every aspect imaginable. Sex will be the final act that will ultimately show our love for one another in that marriage. Sex is God's gift to those who marry. So, sex in the boundaries of marriage and only marriage with only one spouse, God says it is very good. God created sex for marriage. Plain as that. He MADE IT FOR MARRIAGE, nothing else.

very well said Kendra-I couldn't have said it better