Sophie

What's your dream wedding ring? Post a picture if you want!

72 posts in this topic

Oooooh. Yes, like that. :) I thought you meant just only a plain ring with nothing on it.

It looks like they're wearing two rings...are they?

Yes two rings. The ring with the big diamond is the engagement ring (the one your boyfriend gives you when he proposes) and the plainer band with/without diamonds is the wedding ring (the ring that you use to exchange vows at the wedding ceremony, you will also put a wedding band on your husband's finger as you say your vows).

I can already see how this is going to put a lot of pressure on us guys. Lol.

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Yes two rings. The ring with the big diamond is the engagement ring (the one your boyfriend gives you when he proposes) and the plainer band with/without diamonds is the wedding ring (the ring that you use to exchange vows at the wedding ceremony, you will also put a wedding band on your husband's finger as you say your vows).

No one responded when I said this the first time...

I understand that the engagement ring is of greater value than the wedding ring. I don't understand why.

No one responded when I said this the first time...

I understand that the engagement ring is of greater value than the wedding ring. I don't understand why.

Hmm I'm not sure either, maybe some rich dude gave a spectacular engagement ring to his fiance and that just set off a trend? Maybe because by the time the couple get around to buying the wedding ring they're stony broke from all the wedding preparations?

It could be because the wedding ring is a religious symbol and is therefore plainer. Whereas the engagement ring is of no religious significance it is a secular tradition which is probably more materialistic than the religious traditions.

Also the fact that the engagement rings have big diamonds in them push the prices up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engagement_ring

I dont know what engagement ring I would like, all I know is that I want to pick it out with my future finace. Like I think it will be a lovely memory going in together to pick out the engagement ring and matching wedding rings! It doesnt need to cost an arm and a leg, just the fact that it is his ring to me will make it the most precious thing in the world.

I picked out my ring with my husband, and we are both so happy we did it that way. It was special to pick it out together.

3 people like this

wedding ring (the ring that you use to exchange vows at the wedding ceremony, you will also put a wedding band on your husband's finger as you say your vows).

Just gotta say, I like this :).

2 people like this

I picked out my ring with my husband, and we are both so happy we did it that way. It was special to pick it out together.

That's how my dad proposed to my mom, he brought her in to buy a ring....it's such a sweet story! Did ye buy the wedding rings on the same day? Or is that done at a later date? You're supposed to get on that sits right with the engagement ring arent you?

Also, if you're going to be spending money on a ring I suppose it's practical that you buy one that she likes and that suits her hand.

1 person likes this

That's how my dad proposed to my mom, he brought her in to buy a ring....it's such a sweet story! Did ye buy the wedding rings on the same day? Or is that done at a later date? You're supposed to get on that sits right with the engagement ring arent you?

Also, if you're going to be spending money on a ring I suppose it's practical that you buy one that she likes and that suits her hand.

We did not buy the wedding rings on the same day, we picked those out together as well at a later date.

It's generally a good idea to buy a wedding ring that matches your engagement, otherwise it may look odd. (For example, if one is yellow gold and the other is white gold doesn't really match).

Yes, I agree. If you're going to be spending thousands of dollars on a ring that she will be wearing for the rest of her life, you would want her to like it, wouldn't you? I've had friends who have HATED their ring and actually got their fiance to return it and buy another one.

If you don't want to see the ring beforehand, then you can just give your boyfriend an idea of what type of ring you would want (drop hints here and there) or actually go down together to pick it out.

2 people like this

I actually like colored gemstone engagement rings like this one:

yellow-sapphire-engagement-rings.jpg

I'm not really one for regular diamonds.

My parents have never worn a ring of any type and they are

perfectly fine with it, but for me personally, I love the

symbolism of rings. I just think everytime I would look

at it it would remind me of my husband and our connection

throughout.

So, at the end of the day, whatever ring he wants to get me I'll

be fine with.

4 people like this

If you don't want to see the ring beforehand, then you can just give your boyfriend an idea of what type of ring you would want (drop hints here and there) or actually go down together to pick it out.

Yeah one of the girls I know liked the idea of a saphire ring but not a very deep coloured stone so she actually pointed out a load of examples out to her boyfriend on the internet and then he got her the type of ring she wanted. I dont think I'd like to do something as non-subtle as that. I'd like to be surprised by the proposal and not be expecting it (well obviously if you're going out with someone for a long time you'd probably guess you'd eventually be getting married but I mean I dont want to be in a position where I know "oh yes he's going to propose this weekend") I really love surprises!!! :D

Oh my gosh. I must be a freak :P I actually despise jewelry, not on other people, just on me, just hate it. Im not afraid of commitment, I do want to show the world my marital status, I just dont like jewelry.

I dont know how Ill handle that! Ill have to mention that to my future husband. At least Ill save his wallet. Maybe a piece of string? LOL. A tattoo? Eh. I wonder what they did in the really olden days when they didnt have so much access to what we have today for wedding rings and such.

3 people like this

Yeah one of the girls I know liked the idea of a saphire ring but not a very deep coloured stone so she actually pointed out a load of examples out to her boyfriend on the internet and then he got her the type of ring she wanted. I dont think I'd like to do something as non-subtle as that. I'd like to be surprised by the proposal and not be expecting it (well obviously if you're going out with someone for a long time you'd probably guess you'd eventually be getting married but I mean I dont want to be in a position where I know "oh yes he's going to propose this weekend") I really love surprises!!! :D

I wanted to be a part of the ring process and was happy that I was. I told my husband before he proposed that all I wanted was a surprise engagement. Even though I knew the ring was coming, he still managed to COMPLETELY surprise me, which was awesome!

2 people like this

Sophie, great idea for a thread!!! Anyways, I usually only wear earrings (never rings or necklaces), but I'm looking forward to wearing my engagement and wedding rings! I'm not an ostentatious person, but I like ostentatious wedding rings for whatever reason. the ring is merely a symbol...a beautiful, beautiful symbol ;)

here are a few rings I adore.

jemma_keech_0001$!600x.jpg

carolinephil0248$!600x.jpg

ErinDan_SaltwaterFarmVineyard_AnnaSawinPhoto_089$!x600.jpg

and my absolute favourite............

000032-R01-051-24$!600x.jpg

^^^ it's so classic and beautiful and I'm, like, slowly dying looking at this ring

3 people like this

For the record, I am much more interested in the guy than the ring! I do love jewelry, but I will love my future husband infinitely more!

I'm not that into diamonds visually, on top of all of the problems with the diamond industry. While I appreciate that they are the sturdiest of stones, I don't like that such a colorless stone is so expensive. I come from a family where we don't have money to spare, so I just can't see the logic of spending a lot of money on a ring. My main requirement for a ring would be that it had a decently high score on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness so that it would hold up over time.

To that end, I think I would prefer a gemstone like ruby, sapphire, amethyst, or similar over a diamond. But I will happy with whatever he gets me; I want to be surprised by my ring, rather than help pick it out.

My friend just got engaged; he gave her a Claddagh ring with a diamond set in the heart, the diamond coming from his grandmother's ring. I thought that was pretty cool.

So, yeah, it's not about the ring, and I'll be happy with anything, but here are some that I find pretty, if money and practicality were no matter:

ring.jpg21663FCSPWG_ANGVEW_LSTRES.jpg

amethyst_diamond_ring.jpgheart-garnet-diamond-ring-gold.jpgbluerings.jpguv-279-1.jpg13UWL.jpg

1 person likes this

Really whatever my husband chooses for me is going to be the ring I think is the most beautiful in the whole world, because "he" picked it out especially for me.

But types that I find appealing tend to be either a simple, classic look, or something a bit unique. Definitely not anything ostentatious. I am more into the subtle details. Of course if he had his grandmother's ring or something and wanted to pass it down through the family that would be very sweet too.

Classic

BE121H6_still_t_w300_h300.jpg  

Or a "diamond in the rough" uncut type would be rather romantic  :wub:

rough-diamond-engagement-ring--MjkyLTEyN

And... did you know that they actually make "his and hers" wedding bands that are made from meteor rock that came from the Moon? :o That would be nice to actually exchange pieces of the Moon on your wedding day. :)

gallery_meteorite1.jpg

These rings always remind me of this scene from "It's a Wonderful Life"

http://youtu.be/_Y-PlhlhBNU

3 people like this

After more investigation and deliberation, I have actually come to like Jen's meteorite ring thing.

I also like the chocolate diamond styles :huh:

1 person likes this

And... did you know that they actually make "his and hers" wedding bands that are made from meteor rock that came from the Moon? :o That would be nice to actually exchange pieces of the Moon on your wedding day. :)

These rings always remind me of this scene from "It's a Wonderful Life"

LOL, Jenny, as soon as you mentioned exchanging pieces of the moon, my mind went straight to "It's a Wonderful Life," and then I scroll down, and you posted about it! Especially for anyone who is a fan of that movie, those would be excellent rings. So yeah, I'm thinking a gemstone engagement ring, but then a meter-from-the-moon wedding band. That sounds good. :D

1 person likes this