Jegsy Scarr

Fictional Crush?

75 posts in this topic

I'm surprised no one has put Mr. Rochester on here-- Dark, brooding, sarcastic, mysterious, and he has a dog :3. Jane Eyre is my favorite book, and part of that is because I fell in love with Rochester haha. I like that he's not conventionally handsome, and that he sees the beauty in Jane where no one else does- he brings out her fire. Other than Mr. Rochester, I usually tend to have crushes on any super heroes (Thor, Iron Man, Captain America). :D

Mr Rochester is indeed very brooding and mysterious, but I just can't get over the fact that he kept his mentally ill ex wife locked up in an attic! Also, the fact that Adele is more than likely his daughter but he never acknowledges her at such puts me off. I know this is an unpopular opinion though as when we read Jane Eyre at school everyone raved about Mr Rochester!

3 people like this

Mr Rochester is indeed very brooding and mysterious, but I just can't get over the fact that he kept his mentally ill ex wife locked up in an attic! Also, the fact that Adele is more than likely his daughter but he never acknowledges her at such puts me off. I know this is an unpopular opinion though as when we read Jane Eyre at school everyone raved about Mr Rochester!

No, I agree! I know he's not my kind of guy, he wasnt even honest with Jane up to right before they were about to marry. I am much more of a Jane fan. I see myself in her. :)

She was so strong, leaving the man she loved in order to do the right thing even if it tore her up inside. Surely, some waiters can relate. ;)

2 people like this

No, I agree! I know he's not my kind of guy, he wasnt even honest with Jane up to right before they were about to marry. 

But he changes... :(

1 person likes this

I like that he isn't perfect, and that he is striving to be better. Plus, I never felt bad for Bertha, she tricked him into marriage and back then, being cared for in the manor would have been the best option for her, based on societal views of the medically insane. I loved Rochester because when he meets Jane he strives for the light, her very existence makes him lose all reason. He has all the darkness of characters like Heathcliff without any of the cruelty or selfishness. I do not believe Adele was his child, I read it as she was the child of his French lover and the man she had an affair with. Also I like that this thread morphed into Jane Eyre discussion :3

1 person likes this

I think he was based on a real-life manipulative jerk. 

My crush <3:

7041_3fa0.gif

^ Also a waiter. :P

My first real-man crush was Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn. I was twelve, and he, killed off too early...

tumblr_m4lhv4b9eG1qe2rrbo6_r1_250.gif

Oh, Qui-Gon was a waiter.

1 person likes this

I think he was based on a real-life manipulative jerk. 

My crush <3:

7041_3fa0.gif

^ Also a waiter. :P

My first real-man crush was Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn. I was twelve, and he, killed off too early...

Oh, Qui-Gon was a waiter.

Sherlock! Yup. The real deal right here.  ;)

1 person likes this

I didn't read anything before this page, but Mr. Rochester. Oh my. Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorite books, and Mr. Rochester is my favorite character. The byronic hero-dark, brooding, mysterious. He is a bit of a jerk, but you feel so much for his past! The poor dude has had it rough (aside from the rich aspect). If I had that kind of past, I think I'd be an obnoxious jerk too. 

I watched an adaptation the other day-the first one I have dared to see, because I didn't want to watch something that would never live up to the book. I had only two complaints: they reunited in the wrong location (outside vs. inside, messed up the scene in my opinion), and Mr. Rochester, played by Michael Fassbender, was entirely too hot. Goodness. He's not supposed to be that attractive. I don't suppose I can complain, though! 

As far as literature goes, I also love the dark and handsome Ralph de Bricassart in The Thorn Birds. It seems I have a type.... Ralph is more gentle than Rochester, but life has also been much kinder to him. 

After seeing the X-Men movies, I have to say I have a bit of a crush on the young Professor X. I am very attracted to his intelligence and cerebral nature. 

1327443314394_3724572.png

4 people like this

Yeah, to be fair, we all know Mr Rochester was a jerk at first. I don't think that's what the book's about. It's not like Twilight, where the guy's a jerk through and through and stays that way, or the typical story of girl-meets-bad-boy-and-changes-him. Jane Eyre seems to be more a story of forgiveness, recognising that someone can change but also that it's not your job to change them.

So you have Jane, who loves Mr Rochester, but she refuses to let her emotions get in the way of what's right and what's wrong. He's a married man, he lied to her about it, and then he tries to tell her, "Oh, it's okay, you can just be my mistress instead." And Jane, quite rightly, tells him to get stuffed, because she's not that kind of woman. So that's a good lesson right there.

But then, there's the fire at his house, and he risks his life to try to save Bertha. He has genuinely changed and realises what he did was wrong and how he has to take responsibility for his actions. We see that later when he marries Jane - he brings Adele home from boarding school and she's raised by the two of them, which I think means he recognises she could be his daughter and therefore he has to look after her.

I actually loved Jane Eyre, because I think it helped me a lot in WTM. I'd always worried about whether or not I could marry a non-virgin, and that book actually made me think, "Mr Rochester is genuinely sorry about his past, and wants to be forgiven and move on." I think it's made a difference to how I'd treat some other guy in his situation.

I watched an adaptation the other day-the first one I have dared to see, because I didn't want to watch something that would never live up to the book. I had only two complaints: they reunited in the wrong location (outside vs. inside, messed up the scene in my opinion), and Mr. Rochester, played by Michael Fassbender, was entirely too hot. Goodness. He's not supposed to be that attractive. I don't suppose I can complain, though! 

Only version I've really seen and liked was the TV adaptation with Timothy Dalton. He's still somewhat attractive (I think so, anyway) but he's a lot more rugged and not hot hot.

xxx

3 people like this

Mine are Tommy Conlon from Warrior

Bane from TDKR

Darcy from pride and prejudice. The one that Kiera Knightly played in.

Don't know what it is about this scene, but I love it:

Elizabeth:  Do you dance, Mr. Darcy?

Mr. Darcy:  Not if I can help it.

3 people like this

Don't know what it is about this scene, but I love it:

Elizabeth:  Do you dance, Mr. Darcy?

Mr. Darcy:  Not if I can help it.

That makes me crack up every time I watch it.

I'm kinda surprised that this thread is more active than the "Celebrity Crush" thread. Is that because we feel we know fictional characters better and more personally than we know celebrities?

I know everyone's talking about Team Edward vs Team Jacob here, but whenever I read the books I really liked Seth Clearwater. I mean he's funny, he's happy and optimistic and just generally a loveable person.

Also Benidict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes is great, John is cute too; bless him.

A couple of guys from the Les Mis film too... Joly's character is amazing, Aaron Tveit as Enjolras is beautiful.

I don't really know who else I'm sure there have been more! ;D

Haven't ever read Jayne Eyre so can't really comment on that! :s

Ehh Seth is too young for me :P Team Edward (for the books not for the looks :) )

Mine are Tommy Conlon from Warrior

Bane from TDKR

Oh Mr. Darcy!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! A&E's version was beautifully done and Colin Firth is a wonderful Darcy.

Celebrity crushes...

Shemar Moore *swoon* from Criminal Minds

Vin Diesel...he can talk to me anytime...

The Team Edward vs Team Jacob debate...

Team Jacob...warm blooded and loyal

I'm surprised no one has put Mr. Rochester on here-- Dark, brooding, sarcastic, mysterious, and he has a dog :3. Jane Eyre is my favorite book, and part of that is because I fell in love with Rochester haha. I like that he's not conventionally handsome, and that he sees the beauty in Jane where no one else does- he brings out her fire. Other than Mr. Rochester, I usually tend to have crushes on any super heroes (Thor, Iron Man, Captain America). :D

I LOVE Jane. She has a beautiful mind, a lovely heart. I fell in love with her ever since I read the novel - and I still am in love with her.

2 people like this

Lol the only Cullen that I like is Cullen Bohannon from Hell on Wheels.  Both him and his beard.

post-45595-0-31067600-1444427536_thumb.j

danai-gurira-michonne-walking-dead-002.j

Javier, is she from starwars ? I confess, I'm totally ignorant in this movie... ^_^

1 person likes this

Javier, is she from starwars ? I confess, I'm totally ignorant in this movie... ^_^

She is from the TV series " The Walking Dead". I'm not really a fan of the show, but I am a fan of hers ;)

2 people like this

My fictional crushes

Damien black (obsidian saga)

Peta (Hunger Games)

Matt ( Gilmore girls)

Jess (Gilmore girls

Mr Darcy ( pride and prejudice)

Will Scarlett and Robin Hood ( Robin Hood Men In Tights)

Westley (Princess Bride)

Jack Dawson (Titanic)

Patrick Jane(The Mentalist)

Flynn rider (Tangled)

Thomas and John Smith (Pocahontas)

Landon (Walk to Remember)

Marius (Les Miserable)

Johnny Castle (Dirty Dancing)

Too many book crushes to list.

LOL yes, Green Ranger FTW!

I actually have a tiiiny thing for Thorin Oakenshield, even though the entire time I'm yelling at the screen for him to pull the stick out of his butt and take a Xanax... check out the same actor in North and South (if you love Pride and Prejudice, you'll probably love N&S), and maybe this will make a little more sense. Aragorn is a bit more "chill" as far as intense LOTR warriors go, though, so he would make a better partner. Not much wrong with Legolas, either. :)

Oh yes, and Worf from Star Trek.

Also glad I'm not the only one who ever found Vegeta attractive. Not that I would do anything about it, but uhhh, yeah.

PER HOPEFULPOET: "I'm surprised no one put Mr. Rochester on here", "Jane Eyre is my favorite book",

I just finished reading that novel, it had lots of twists and turns. That little orphan girl did alright for herself.

Fictional crush? Yep. Guilty.

10th Doctor (David Tennant) / The Doctor

Westley / Princess Bride

Commander Will Riker / Star Trek TNG

Cloud Strife and Zack Fair / Final Fantasy VII

Noel Kriess / Final Fantasy XIII-2

Anakin Skywalker / Star Wars Episode II

Clark Kent / Man of Steel

Matthew Crawley / Downton Abbey