Sophie

If you could choose your native language, what would it be?

30 posts in this topic

JAPANESE!! It sounds so beautiful and ALL THOSE CHARACTERS. 0.0 It'd be super cool to have Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji and to be able to memorize Kanji at a young age. The Japanese language as always perplexed me because of its particles (wa, ga, o, mo, yo, ni, de, etc,) and the sentence structure is insanely difficult. But I love the sound of the language, and it is just much, much too difficult for me to learn so I wish that, in my next life, I will be a Japanese girl living in Japan, and therefore I will be speaking Japanese.

My second choice would be Georgian because that - and/or Russian - would have been my native language if I had not been adopted.

I love English, but because it is the lingua franca and making it's way to being the global language, I feel like English is not "mine," you know? It belongs to the world now - it isn't unique, like Japanese and Georgian are.

3 people like this

Japanese, you people (:P) and you're hard to learn languages. I would have to say Latin would be my choice. I think it sounds cool and it looks cool. English is good and is the standard, but to new Americans or Canadians that learn English, we have to feel just a bit sorry for them when they learn "To, Too, and Two" or "There, They're, and Their."

French! It's so romantic! I really want to learn French, because I just love it so much!

xxx

4 people like this

If I had the choice to pick my native language, I would probably choose English (I'm not a native English speaker). It's partially the 'lingua franca' thing, but I also like the English language.

If I had to pick a different language than English, I'd pick Spanish. Why? Well, I do have some Spanish blood in me.

1 person likes this

I have a pretty harsh view on concept of foreign languages in general. I personally believe in the Bible and it says God confused mankind's languages when we acted out of pride by trying to reach Heaven on our own. So in essence, I view it as a punishment rather than something that ought to be celebrated. Don't get me wrong, I do think some languages sound beautiful, but the practical side of me think's it's a major barrier to bridging gaps between cultures. It's sad to me that we are so divided and separated as human beings because we all can't communicate with each other under the same tongue. If we were to achieve a one world language, we would save so much money and trade between nations would be so much easier.

But to answer your question, I'd stick with English because it's the closest thing to a universal language. Everyone else in the world should learn it because it's my idea and that way I don't have to learn a new language :)

1 person likes this

I would pick French. French was one of my majors in college and I'm still not fluent. It's such a lovely language.

I'm pretty good as I am, so there's no reason for me not to pick English.

If I had to pick something else, I'd probably go with Latin.

I would love to be able to speak Spanish with perfect fluency with no accent .....even though i use it every day I still wouldn't consider myself fluent

I've heard stories of Trekkie dads actually teaching their children Klingon as a native language.

http://en.wikipedia....27Armond_Speers

LOL!!! I'm surprised this didn't happen to me. My dad is a super Trekkie. He made me go to a Star Trek convention with him when I was younger. :P

For sound, I'd say either French or Spanish... or, if accents count, I'd love to have a smooth British accent. However, if we consider 'native' language in the sense of where you are born, I'd have to say I'd love to speak Italian... I think that would be a beautiful place to grow up... Specifically, Venice.

Spanish. I really regret not taking it in highschool, it would have made life a lot easier sometimes.

Considering that language greatly impacts how we view and understand things, I would go with a very complex language. Hence Hungarian, Slovak, or Japanese. Certainly not English or Spanish which in my opinion are relatively unsophisticated. I met a native speaking Hungarian who simply from his background had a key advantage in comprehending the significance of language in the Australian legal system. Why does degenerate English have to be so international!? *sigh* 

Thank you Germany, thank you Japan, for at least trying lol  :wacko:

Greek - or even better, Ancient Greek. It's the only language I have an emotional reaction to when I hear it spoken. Silly, I know… But it's so beautiful :)

Otherwise, maybe one of the Scandinavian languages… Probably Icelandic, or Swedish. They're both really beautiful too. And Irish would be pretty cool. I tried to learn it a while ago but I can't wrap my brain around it, I wish I'd started at a younger age!

2 people like this

English, most of the world is forced to learn it at this point anyway...and everyone says its hard to learn, so I'll take their word for it...

I have a pretty harsh view on concept of foreign languages in general. I personally believe in the Bible and it says God confused mankind's languages when we acted out of pride by trying to reach Heaven on our own. So in essence, I view it as a punishment rather than something that ought to be celebrated. Don't get me wrong, I do think some languages sound beautiful, but the practical side of me think's it's a major barrier to bridging gaps between cultures. It's sad to me that we are so divided and separated as human beings because we all can't communicate with each other under the same tongue. If we were to achieve a one world language, we would save so much money and trade between nations would be so much easier.

But to answer your question, I'd stick with English because it's the closest thing to a universal language. Everyone else in the world should learn it because it's my idea and that way I don't have to learn a new language :)

Just out of curiosity, how do you interpret Acts 2 and the Day of Pentecost in light of this?

I speak different languages and been exposed to different cultures but if I were born again and again and again I would definitely choose Persian (Farsi) ! My beautiful mother tongue with its ancient mystical literature . as you guys also said languages greatly impact how we view and understand things , so did Persian literature with me and I can't imagine my life without it. Yes It's not a famous language and some of you might have not even heard of it but it really is a treasure , as well as Persian culture . It feels good to know that 800 years ago when  human right had no meaning , Persian poets and philosophers talked about human right and equity , like this poem of famous Persian poet , Saadi Shirazi , which is actually at the entrance of the United Nations : 

"All human beings are members of one frame.
Since all, at first, from the same essence came.
When time afflicts a limb with pain.
The other limbs at rest cannot remain.
If thou feel not for other’s misery.
A human being is no name for thee."

I've also heard several times from my different international friends that It sounds very nice and melodic Q_Q 

If not Persian then English for sure . lol . not only because it's world's language , but again because I like English literature too and since It's not my Mother tongue I can never feel it like a native . 

However , generally speaking , I love all literary works , so It would be great if I could be native in all languages with great literature : French , Italian , Greek , .....  . haha

2 people like this

I'm gonna go for one not many people still speak or know of and it'd be Navajo or Cherokee. It's some of the many languages the Native Americans spoke. Not many people still speak it today and I was fortunate enough to hear someone speak it which sounded so unique to me and I fell in love with it. I also watch a few anime's and Japanese sounds very cool/tough if spoken with a deep voice but maybe that's just me.

English, most of the world is forced to learn it at this point anyway...and everyone says its hard to learn, so I'll take their word for it...

I think it depends on what language you are coming from. Many Europeans I have talking to (native speakers of e.g. German) have said English isn't that difficult, IIRC. The only major problem that I can think of is our overly-complicated spelling.

So, maybe I would go with a more "difficult" language, just so that I can get it for "free", so to speak, and then just learn English afterwards.

Latin

i have been listening to a lot of Gregorian chant lately

i wouldn't be able to talk to anyone, but i would sing like an angel

fair trade

2 people like this

I am from India. So I speak my native language Bengali. Apart from that we are taught to speak English and national language Hindi at school and college level. I have also learnt basic Spanish. But given a chance I would choose Italian. I have seen so many Italian movies, it sounds beautiful.