noelle

the non-religious

42 posts in this topic

attachicon.gifaquinas is not impressed.jpg

:P Sorry, couldn't resist!

xxx 

Do you care about the ants on the ground when you have your life to live, and things to do? There are more important things than humans in the universe; we are ants compared to other, more advanced life in the universe, whether they are “gods†or aliens. 

That picture is not a viable argument. Also,I am unimpressed with Thomas Aquinas' theology. 

Do you care about the ants on the ground when you have your life to live, and things to do? There are more important things than humans in the universe; we are ants compared to other, more advanced life in the universe, whether they are “gods†or aliens. 

That picture is not a viable argument. Also,I am unimpressed with Thomas Aquinas' theology. 

Those who follow organized religion do not have a monopoly on believing in a loving God. If God is infinite, which I believe God is... then it's a mistake to assume we can understand why God does what God does. Using human intellect to try to understand why we suffer is ultimately an exercise in futility. Ultimately I believe that everything that happens in this life is for our very best. What I fear is that this section of the forum, which was labeled 'non-religious' is going to turn into a place to proselytize. 

6 people like this

I was raised in a Christian family, but I'm actually agnostic now and have been since I was 12. I just don't believe any religion has it completely right. Is there something out there? Maybe, but I really don't care. :P My waiting has been soley a reflection of my beliefs on what a true relationship constitutes. That emotional is so much more important than physical (even though the physical part is important as well).

2 people like this

I've always had this question: If marriage comes out of religion, it being a bond between man and woman and God, then why do atheists marry or WTM if there according to them there is no absolute truth? If everything is the result of a cosmic accident? There was a fellow student where I studied that was irreligous and she said that there is no point to marriage so she just lived with a guy. To a small extent the question has been answered by previous posters but I am still a bit confused.

I've always had this question: If marriage comes out of religion, it being a bond between man and woman and God, then why do atheists marry or WTM if there according to them there is no absolute truth? If everything is the result of a cosmic accident? There was a fellow student where I studied that was irreligous and she said that there is no point to marriage so she just lived with a guy. To a small extent the question has been answered by previous posters but I am still a bit confused.

Marriage doesn't come from religion; there is evidence that people were monogamous, and basically marrying more than 20,000 years ago. In some of the oldest know human laws, like the Code of Hammurabi, marriage was a social contract. Even after that, marriage was used to united countries and warlords together, for most of history marriage didn't have much to do with love, just business and politics. 

1 person likes this

Marriage doesn't come from religion; there is evidence that people were monogamous, and basically marrying more than 20,000 years ago. In some of the oldest know human laws, like the Code of Hammurabi, marriage was a social contract. Even after that, marriage was used to united countries and warlords together, for most of history marriage didn't have much to do with love, just business and politics. 

I second this. Marriage was not spawned from religion...although I do believe the government should keep their damn beaks out of it, as they've made it a losing proposition for men...but that's a whole other ball-game.

Even though I agree with you and know you're a guy... 

35352360.jpg

I grew up with grandparents who were eastern orthodox Christians, and when I was young I believed everything they said. Now I'm agnostic, and not believing in any deity.

im so relieved to know that im not the only non-religious person on here. 

2 people like this

Perhaps I am looking at the original question/post from a different perspective...

I am not waiting for marriage for religious reasons. 

From my interpretation of the bible, Jesus wasn't religious either.  In fact, he was quite hard on religious leaders.  Jesus never said, "you should go to this church and follow this tradition."  And that's what religion is to me, a culture and traditions revolving around the idea of a God. 

2 people like this

Although I used to be a devoted christian, the WFM was not based on my former faith, so you'll get one vote from me as well :)

He wasn't a church goer at all. To luxurious for him . Government took advantage of people with it . Took it all and twisted the sun and zodiac. Sun dies in winter. Stops moving for three days then it rises for spring. Reborn rises and signals spring . It is on the 25. Fallowed and aligned with the three kings which are stars the other ones. They align with the sun which is jesus. Took the cross from it . Light and darkness . Good and evil . Day and night. Back then they knew the sun gave life and rose every morning to cast away the darkness. They took that and twisted it over time for themselves. Good to see good people that have different beliefs. I also think the ones who created religion are non religious but they need you to believe.bad subject for me.lol.cause it wasn't even a religion till governments got there hands on it. Religion is government they combined and took it over wrote the books.

The thing is the rulers of the world know the truth. If they thought it was a real thing you wouldn't have akk these wars and out of control governments . They would be going to hell for killing and starving people . But they know they are going to the same place you are .lol. religion is just symbolism of the zodiac and life twisted myths turn into truths. Impossible to have one god . Religions completely copy the ones before them. We can't even trace back all the civilizations that disappeared . Last ones said they went to outer space . That gods aliens taught them civilization . They supposedly new are solar system as well. Europeans figured out 300 years ago. They figured it out maybe 5000 years ago.lol. they had a Congress as well. Point is man is full of crap and steals credit . If you are created that means like cloning or mixed breeding swapping dna. Basically we either where giants and shrunk with are ozone. Evolution or alien race mixed there dna with monkeys or caveman type humans. Religion points to this but with all there symbolism you never know if it's based on made up astrology signs myths or other beings where here created us taught us. Hate symbolism.lol. I bet you a small group of people do know the truth. Other problem is when new religions take over they burn and destroy previous history facts. You got huge stones erected by man and technology way back who knows how long ago. We where giants or aliens helped because they are so big we can't move them today. And they transported the rocks some times and some times even lifted off thr ground up a story or 2 . Machined cut perfect to fit tight and cut out of a quarry. Lol. God has a lot to explain . I like religion in history and in lose sense you are worshiping what ever made you . Also god doesn't even know you exist unless it's alien race. But then the sun is what really gives you life . Absurd to believe in one god . That comes from the zidiac meaning the sun. Symbolism again . Lol. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N63lhtx2q8o. And. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oZgT1SRcrKE. Theres my explanation to it all .lol. an idea I think fits best ruined by symbolism and twisted to shape society and help governments rule. What you think ? At least gives people something to believe in to maintain order but it is to negative for me and I like facts and not living by other mans ideas . When some one wants you to fallow them and have to live and do it there way it usually is a scam or power grab control .it's only in there interest . Religion didn't create values .

I also think they were smarter back then and took life and religion for a guide . The moral of the storie type deal. Teach you from birth right and wrong . They attached morals and values to it like religion created it . If you are mean cheat and steal . You're life will be much harder . Living in hell . No one will trust you and want to hurt you. Be good have good relationships people will treat you better and help you. Living in heaven on earth. Stress is hell. But dang symbolism and so far in the past the real answers are hidden.

Do ants love or are they just creatures of instinct? Can we love or are we just creatures of instinct?

The God I worship is perfect , meaning he isn't just perfect in reason or intellect, he is perfect in love as well.

What your picturing is a limited God, a God that is only perfect in his intellectual capacity as well as power, I see a God that is the height of spiritual wisdom and love. If we were insects to God he never would have come down to earth to suffer like no man in history has ever suffered to give us a chance for eternal life.

Your picture is a picture of a deistic God. A God that created for the heck of it and left his creation alone.

My uncle is a deist as well. He understands the order and intelligence of the universe but he has a hard time equating an all powerful God with someone that can love perfectly. To him intellect and power are supreme and love is a weakness.

I am an Atheist. I remain a virgin primarily because I respect my body and want to share my most intimate desires with a “soul mate.†I am a hopeless romantic. I am a dreamer and an idealist. I think that people should only have sex when they meet their one and only. Having sex is more than just a biological urge and should be about a deep emotional connection, respect, commitment, and above all else, love.

1 person likes this