noelle

the non-religious

42 posts in this topic

just wanna see how many of us are not religious/not waiting primarily because of religious reasons?

i'm 1!

I don't class myself as religious, but I wouldn't call myself atheist... I believe in spirits though and I pray. I guess you could class me non-religious in the fact that I don't follow any of the main or common religions... I just have my own beliefs :)

yeah.. i don't like to say "atheist" either. to me, it's just the anti-religion: religiously believing no religion/deity/supernatural force/or anything beyond the natural world or what we know can exist. i just throw my hands up and admit that i don't know.

I consider myself to be an atheist. I was definitely influenced by my strictly atheist, scientist dad. lol. The vast majority of my friends are atheists and all of them are still virgins, except one. I don't actually feel like being an atheist will affect anyone's decision when it comes to sex. Obviously we can't see it as a "sin," but we have a perfectly equal chance of seeing casual sex as disgusting, or not wanting to be involved in it. True, most atheists aren't waiters, but I bet way more would be if WTM was a much more popular, accepted idea. My conservative beliefs towards sex stem strongly from being very influenced by the conservative Japanese culture (anime and manga) starting when I was 8. The Western culture had absolutely no influence on me until I was 14, no exaggeration. And by then I had already immersed myself in the Japanese culture: in anime and manga, sometimes couples go months and months of dating before kissing, or never even kiss at all. There is definitely barely sex, and it was hardly uncommon to see a virgin character who had already graduated high school. I have never had a TV in my entire life so the media couldn't touch me. Plus, both my parents lost their virginities in their twenties so I guess I always assumed that was the norm...until I was 14 and learned differently. Also I went to an all-girls school for 12 years.

So that all adds up to me being very conservative.

anime as a conservative influence? i guess it depends on where you're getting them from lol.

i used to like it, stopped when i was about 14/15, but it was long enough to know some of the crazy things they have out there. needless to say: hentai, tentacle rape, loli-con, used underwear venders? ...and much, much worse. i don't wanna talk about it.

1 person likes this

anime as a conservative influence? i guess it depends on where you're getting them from lol.

i used to like it, stopped when i was about 14/15, but it was long enough to know some of the crazy things they have out there. needless to say: hentai, tentacle rape, loli-con, used underwear venders? ...and much, much worse. i don't wanna talk about it.

That's all hentai stuff though. I was just into anime and manga (not the kind that had double-D girls fighting crime in tight suits.) My favourite mangakas were (still are) Arina Tanemura, Rumiko Takahashi, CLAMP...I will admit Ken Akamatsu had some perverted stuff when it came to drawing the girls but there was absolutely no sex, and barely any kissing either.

yeah.. i don't like to say "atheist" either. to me, it's just the anti-religion: religiously believing no religion/deity/supernatural force/or anything beyond the natural world or what we know can exist. i just throw my hands up and admit that i don't know.

That would be an agnostic position of sorts, am I right?

I share your position for a large part. It's the virulent anti-religious attitude of many of these, mostly, 'new atheists' that irritates me.

Well, I guess I'm another 'non-religious' person on here... or, at least, another person who doesn't belong to an organized religion. I am a theist, though.

1 person likes this

perhaps, but i don't like to use the word because of its connotation: in my experience, i've seen it used mainly to describe those who don't like to think about this topic altogether, or commit to anything. i do think, i live my life by certain tenets, i see a greater destiny for man, and i do hold some hope for the afterlife. but none of its truly concrete; i couldn't establish my thoughts in a way others could follow, like a bible. not now, anyway

just to revisit the word, i've wikipedia's formal definition for agnosticism:

"Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious andmetaphysical claims—are unknown or unknowable."

and i don't agree with that. maybe i just take it a step further by not wanting to make the claim that such things are unknown or unknowable. just because i don't know now doesn't mean it cannot be known, or isn't. how would i know that?

1 person likes this

I would say im more agnostic really. I have my own odd beliefs such as ghosts, auras, love at first sight, guardian angels etc.

I think, and hope, there is an afterlife, and a divine being, but i wouldnt pinpoint myself into a religion though.

Also, all my reasons for waiting are non-religious.

Got another non-religious waiter here :) Man, there's actually a lot of us!

I definitely believe in a Creator, not God persay. I don't have anything against

religion as long as they help the person grow and don't hinder them.

But yes, when I first saw this site I absolutely loved the fact that it wasn't all just relying

on what the Bible teaches. I think science + spirituality (whatever that may be for you) is the

perfect balance in helping understand why you're waiting and give you strength to keep on keeping on.

1 person likes this

As I said in a different article I used to be religious.I believed in the whole system and felt like I was making a difference spiritually. But after a few years and politics and basically being told by my paster that anyone who has not accepted "Christ is not worth the time," I walked away. Now, I will always believe in God, however, my personal code is that if someone is a genuinely good person who can demonstrate true kindness and good, then they are just that, good!

Religion is like communism, It is a perfect system, "on paper," and if everyone else believes in it. I am not attacking it, so please don't retaliate right now. I am just saying that you will always have people with a different opinion or background. Acceptance and tolerance are what builds bridges, and respect is what maintains the structural integrity of that bridge. The most basic way to look at a religious person and a non-religious person by a mature person is this: You are doing what you want to/need to for you. Rock on.

4 people like this

hello again people, i know i've been gone a long time. but hi hah.

curious to see how many new non-religious types have joined since. any?

I don't believe that I need God, Jesus or any sort of gods to get what I want out of life. The founders of Christianity were quite shrewd though; I believe its not about the rules themselves...but what they're meant to achieve; turning one into a person of true reason, of virtue. The ability to transcend all worldly, carnal desires. Jesus was killed because he went against the status-quo; he didn't stand for what's good, or socially-acceptable.

He stood for what's right.

3 people like this

I'm Agnostic, but at this point more of an Athiest, I just don't believe in the possibility of a God anywhere. I've also never been religious, I tried it once but there were too much contradictions and too much just plain off.

2 people like this

i feel you josh, i used to be really religious at one point.. but yes, just too much off-putting stuff. i still do like the main idea of it, as jay explains it. i've alot more to say on the matter, but really i'm just here to see what others might feel here.

I'm not religious, currently. I'm trying to decide whether to believe the Bible is true or not. If not, then I'll probably be atheist, but maybe agnostic. It's complicated, though, since I attend a Baptist church with my family three times a week. Since I've been back home from school the topic comes up with my dad on a regular basis. I know I should be focusing more time and energy into the issue, but I really don't want to think about it anymore.

I'm not religious, currently. I'm trying to decide whether to believe the Bible is true or not. If not, then I'll probably be atheist, but maybe agnostic. It's complicated, though, since I attend a Baptist church with my family three times a week. Since I've been back home from school the topic comes up with my dad on a regular basis. I know I should be focusing more time and energy into the issue, but I really don't want to think about it anymore.

I was raised a Christian, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad to be free of it all. I feel like I was just being something I wasn't for other people. Because I was told to, and that if I didn't I'd burn and suffer for all eternity. I feel like myself now.

1 person likes this

I was raised a Christian, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad to be free of it all. I feel like I was just being something I wasn't for other people. Because I was told to, and that if I didn't I'd burn and suffer for all eternity. I feel like myself now.

Well actually to me and to most other Christians, it is my belief in Christ that sets me free from everything. I can relax and be myself  knowing that he has taken my iniquities upon Him.

that's a sucky situation...i'm lucky i never had it forced on me. soon as i realized i wasn't for it, i just stopped tagging along with my friend and that was that. maybe all you need is a bit of time away from it and soul searching, as soon as it's possible.

1 person likes this

Well actually to me and to most other Christians, it is my belief in Christ that sets me free from everything. I can relax and be myself  knowing that he has taken my iniquities upon Him.

I absolutely understand. I don't really have anything against faith...it just wasn't for me.

I’m not religious; I’m waiting till marriage because I’m not stupid.

Whatever god or gods are “up there,†they don’t care about us, just look at the world, and humans in general. If you were an all-powerful being, why would you care about one species on an insignificant planet in a whole universe, or according to a quantum mechanics theory, infinite universes? 

1 person likes this

I’m not religious; I’m waiting till marriage because I’m not stupid.

Whatever god or gods are “up there,” they don’t care about us, just look at the world, and humans in general. If you were an all-powerful being, why would you care about one species on an insignificant planet in a whole universe, or according to a quantum mechanics theory, infinite universes? 

post-319-0-07175600-1369783975_thumb.jpg

:P Sorry, couldn't resist!

xxx 

2 people like this