Mike

What's your personality type?

114 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody!

Do you know your four letter personality type score? Like Introvert/Extrovert, etc. We started sharing these in another thread and I thought it was really interesting because many of us had a very similar score. I'm particularly interested to see if most of us end up being the "idealist" personality (NF).

Here's a fun video on Personality Type, if you're interested.

So if you know your score, post it here! If you don't know your score, you should google some MBTI quizzes and find out! I'm going to eventually try to invent a mini version of the test to post on this site.

Here's a list of everybody that's shared so far...

Mike (me): INFP

Leo: ENFP

Zoe: INFP

Tempest Desh: INTJ

Sally: IN?J

Noticing a trend? Cool, isn't it?! B)

1 person likes this

I got INFP type!

I noticed a few of us got that type, so here's some stuff I found http://www.personalitypage.com/html/high-level.html:

Generally thoughtful and considerate, INFPs are good listeners and put people at ease. Although they may be reserved in expressing emotion, they have a very deep well of caring and are genuinely interested in understanding people. This sincerity is sensed by others, making the INFP a valued friend and confidante. An INFP can be quite warm with people he or she knows well.

I'd like to think that's me!

INFPs do not like conflict, and go to great lengths to avoid it. If they must face it, they will always approach it from the perspective of their feelings. In conflict situations, INFPs place little importance on who is right and who is wrong. They focus on the way that the conflict makes them feel, and indeed don't really care whether or not they're right. They don't want to feel badly. This trait sometimes makes them appear irrational and illogical in conflict situations. On the other hand, INFPs make very good mediators, and are typically good at solving other people's conflicts, because they intuitively understand people's perspectives and feelings, and genuinely want to help them.

Sounds like me! If there's ever a fight at school, or two of my friends aren't talking to each other, I'm always like, "I don't care who started it! Just both of you say sorry and make up!"

INFPs are flexible and laid-back, until one of their values is violated. In the face of their value system being threatened, INFPs can become aggressive defenders, fighting passionately for their cause. When an INFP has adopted a project or job which they're interested in, it usually becomes a "cause" for them. Although they are not detail-oriented individuals, they will cover every possible detail with determination and vigor when working for their "cause".

Definitely me! I'm a great person to have on a debate, because I never seem to back down!

When it comes to the mundane details of life maintenance, INFPs are typically completely unaware of such things. They might go for long periods without noticing a stain on the carpet, but carefully and meticulously brush a speck of dust off of their project booklet.

My mum: "Julie, are you going to tidy your room? There's a big pile of clothes all over the floor!"

Me: "Not now, I'm just alphabetising my DVD collection."

INFPs do not like to deal with hard facts and logic. Their focus on their feelings and the Human Condition makes it difficult for them to deal with impersonal judgment. They don't understand or believe in the validity of impersonal judgment, which makes them naturally rather ineffective at using it. Most INFPs will avoid impersonal analysis, although some have developed this ability and are able to be quite logical. Under stress, it's not uncommon for INFPs to mis-use hard logic in the heat of anger, throwing out fact after (often inaccurate) fact in an emotional outburst.

True. I really don't understand some people who, for example, say things like "If I got given extra change at the supermarket, I wouldn't tell the cashier, I'd just keep it." I just keep saying, "But can't you see that's wrong? Can't you see? CAN'T YOU?!"

INFPs have very high standards and are perfectionists. Consequently, they are usually hard on themselves, and don't give themselves enough credit. INFPs may have problems working on a project in a group, because their standards are likely to be higher than other members' of the group. In group situations, they may have a "control" problem. The INFP needs to work on balancing their high ideals with the requirements of every day living. Without resolving this conflict, they will never be happy with themselves, and they may become confused and paralyzed about what to do with their lives.

That's me! If I'm in a group, and someone just isn't putting effort in, or don't seem to care about it, I tend to get really frustrated and just take over for them.

INFPs are usually talented writers. They may be awkard and uncomfortable with expressing themselves verbally, but have a wonderful ability to define and express what they're feeling on paper. INFPs also appear frequently in social service professions, such as counselling or teaching. They are at their best in situations where they're working towards the public good, and in which they don't need to use hard logic.

Yay! I love writing! Although, I'd really rather be a singer than a teacher. That's working towards the public good, isn't it? Entertaining people?

INFPs who function in their well-developed sides can accomplish great and wonderful things, which they will rarely give themselves credit for. Some of the great, humanistic catalysts in the world have been INFPs.

Hooray! We're awesome!

xxx

1 person likes this

Yay! I knew it! I think most of us are going to turn out to be NF's. It's crazy how accurate those descriptions are. Sometimes I wonder if Type is as fru-fru as astrology, but the more I learn about it the more it seems powerfully true. B)

I'm an ENFJ :)

Not sure if it's definitely me yet because I haven't read the description intensely enough and it was one of the free versions so you never know if they're as accurate but there you go!

this is the main thing that seems to be true from the website I did the test

ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.

and this description is amazingly accurate! http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENFJ.html

It's weird you'd mention astrology because I have a book that you can work out your personality etc. from your date of birth and what astrological cycle etc. you were born in and it was amazing how accurate it was about me and my friends. It noted all the things that a person born in that stage would like and enjoy and gave their attributes and traits which really hit the nail on the head for me! Pretty strange but I can't imagine ALL people born on a certain day would have such similar personalities.

1 person likes this

Yay another NF! That means you're an idealist too. B)

Do you tend to be more organized/structured that other people? Most J's are supposed to be.

I have a book that you can work out your personality etc. from your date of birth and what astrological cycle etc.

Yeah? What's it say about Feb 27th, 1983?

Haha I shall go look it up for you right now! Yeah I think so :) I like to have everything nice and tidy and organised it makes me feel like I can get on and do stuff even though my room right now looks like a bomb has hit it with all the revision notes thrown about!

1 person likes this

You were born in the week of the spirit Pisces 1

Many think of higher values and of spiritual goals.

You value the non material side of life.

Approach work devotionally elevating it to an idealistic plane

You have strong physical drives, love the pleasures of the table and the bed.

A blend of a spiritual and sensual approach is at the heart of their personalities.

Those born in this week seek the spirit in everything around them and rarely feel the need to reject worldly considerations

Lively and entertaining

Youthful air

Engaged in the personal pursuit of health or are advocates of it

It is important to them to lead a healthy life so as to increase not only the longevity but the quality of their earthly existence.

A desire to do good, in the sense of leaving one's immediate environment, or the world in general, a bit of a better place at the close of a career or a life.

Watching catastrophes or environmental mistakes happen may be particularly difficult for these involved, caring individuals.

the devotional and service orientated side of pisces 1 urges them to give up their own wants making them subservient to their need to give pleasure and benefit to others.

Because of this they may easily become the target or prey of more selfish individuals who see them as an easy touch and a dependable source of sympathy, energy or money.

Making big hearted offers to others may lead them to regret or resent their promises and get them into arguments or emotional crises.

Sending mixed signals is characteristic of those born in this week.

Prone to feeling hurt when others do not meet their high standards of friendship.

Put such high expectations on their relationships that they set themselves up for unhappiness.

Intense emotionality that is often difficult to control and gets them into trouble with others who see things in a more detached or objective way.

transparent, wearing their hearts on their sleeves.

Not particularly good at hiding their feelings, particularly disappointment.

In one relationship after another they can refuse to learn how to protect themselves or to keep their egos from merging with their love object.

May tend to put themselves on a higher plane than those around them without realising

Sharing at a deep level with family and friends is an essential need for pisces 1-knack for enjoying pleasures of life alone not usually in their nature.

Not always successful in their attempts to share-source of continued frustration throughout their lives.

In love they are seeking an ideal and if they find it they will not hesitate to commit to it in a permanent relationship.

Strengths: spiritual, sensual, transparent

Weaknesses: emotional, irresponsible, catastrophic

Advice: sometimes you need to be more aggressive. keep in touch with everyday matters and remain attentive to your needs and the needs of others. beware of alienation through placing yourself on a higher plane. seeking a higher state of consciousness need not mean avoiding shouldering the work of life.

Marriage: gemini, cancer, leo, capricorn, aquarius-pisces cusp

There is a bit more in the book but I've given up copying it all now. Tell me if it is totally wrong or quite right! :)

It also talks about relationships with different people depending on their birthday and whether you're best off as friends or if they are someone you could love or marry. pretty interesting really!

Mine really scares me! I'm a pises 2 and literally every line is me and I'm not even applying myself to it because it seems to be very specific to who i am! Which i find really crazy!

@Anna - Thanks for posting that. It's so accurate! That's what annoys me about astrology. Personality Type is a science. Astrology is supposed to be more like religion, but it hits so close to home! I just don't want to become one of those people who goes around talking about signs and such, so I try to remain skeptical. But that's pretty impressive! Maybe we should start another thread polling people's signs...

@Sarah Elizabeth - And we have another NF! Well, almost. Let's see if we can narrow it down for you a little.

1. Do you tend to be in the moment or off in your own little world?

2. Are you in grad school, or do you have any intentions of going to grad school?

3. In general, how do you feel about reading fiction?

4. What's your dream job?

I'm INTJ but when I read the profile of INTJ it doesn't seem like me, but I've taken the MTBI a lot of times and almost always get INTJ.

But anyway, I'm the third IN_J.

@Sweety - And you're the second INTJ! Tempest Desh is also INTJ. B)

Okay I FINALLY found out why INTJ doesn't quite fit me (after all these years).

Technically I am an INTJ with only moderately expressed Thinking personality so I do consider myself INTJ.

INXJ

Since I first learned about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator years ago, and certainly since I was a teenager, I have developed certain traits that differ somewhat strongly from those of the typical INTJ.

* I tend to be more emotional and more openly sensitive in some settings than many more pure INTJ’s.

* In certain situations, especially in close relationships, my emotions can override my logic more than is true of many more pure INTJ’s.

* While certainly sometimes emotionally detached, in other situations I am actually having to work at developing greater detachment.

* I am focused not only on truth and knowledge, but very strongly driven by the types of principles and ideals usually associated with the NF Idealist personality group.

* While I highly value autonomy, I also – as I explained in “My Scheme Team Dream: Partners Wanted for Shaping and Changing the World†– crave partners to work mutually with on meaningful projects (though in typical INTJ fashion, it is very important to me that we have a shared worldview on some level that bonds us).

As a result of these and other traits, in many circumstances I can come to resemble an INFJ as much or more than an INTJ.

To some extent, this state might be explained simply by the fact that INTJ’s often harbor hidden qualities which they don’t always outwardly express. For instance, David Keirsey claims that INTJ’s, under the surface, may be more romantic, deeply emotional and sensitive to rejection from loved ones than they let on. I can attest that, even in the days when I was less expressive of such characteristics than I am now, I did harbor some of these traits under the surface.

Another possible explanation is that these developments represent a relatively typical INTJ growth path. Often at midlife, the INTJ’s Feeling function becomes more pronounced and integrated into the personality. It is possible that this process simply began a bit earlier for me and that I remain an INTJ that is evolving.

However, some of the characteristics associated with the F preference and the NF Idealist personality group are, and on some level always have been, so strong in my personality that I am tempted to believe that I really am fundamentally a mixed personality, rather than just an INTJ with hidden traits or who has undergone growth. If this is the case, then - in the notation often used by MBTI practitioners to describe a person who prefers the two options on a given function in the system relatively equally - I could be described as an INXJ, indicating that I exhibit traits that blend those of the INTJ and INFJ.

I must say that the blend of INTJ and INFJ traits in me sometimes creates quite an inner battle. And there are plenty of moments when the INFJ side wins. It is those moments that lead me to consider whether, in fact, I am actually a “true INFJ†that has become a “reactive INTJ†and am working my way back to my true type as an Idealist.

This phenomenon of inner conflict is just one of many reasons I have become more and more attracted to the Enneagram system. In that system, with its concept of wings, this battle between INTJ traits and INFJ traits is captured more easily within its framework. Defining myself as a 5w4 in that system helps explain this situation with much less confusion than I find when trying to reconcile it within the MBTI framework.

In the end, the relationship between my INTJ and INFJ sides has proven defining for me and the interaction between the traits of the two types explains well my attraction to the particular projects and activities, interests and social groups that have received most of my energy and focus in recent years.

@Sarah Elizabeth - And we have another NF! Well, almost. Let's see if we can narrow it down for you a little.

1. Do you tend to be in the moment or off in your own little world?

2. Are you in grad school, or do you have any intentions of going to grad school?

3. In general, how do you feel about reading fiction?

4. What's your dream job?

1. Usually off in my own world.. hehe.

2. I do intend on going to grad school.

3. I love reading fiction and do it often.

4. I'm only 15 so not sure of my dream job, either something involving helping other people or something more artistic/writing oriented.

So what does this tell me? :)

So what does this tell me?

I'd say, based on your answers, that you're pretty clearly an N. ;)

I just finished mine and I'm within the INFJ profile. It fits me perfectly so I have no complaints!

1 person likes this

Just wondering where everyone found the test and got their profile results. I'd love to take it too! Thanks

I'd say, based on your answers, that you're pretty clearly an N. ;)

Haha, I thought so. I think I just didn't have enough examples from the site to go off of. So another NF then! weird... :)

I did for sure get INFJ. I absolutely love taking these kind of tests because they cater to YOU specifically-like how to deal with stress, what kind of partner is good for you, etc.

1 person likes this

I was on the fence for a couple, but I ended up INFP. There are definitely days where the I swings over to an E, though ;) Very cool!

1 person likes this

I just learned about this personality type test today, so I gave it a try :)

Came up with INFP, which is pretty accurate :)

1 person likes this