Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slayerofdragon

Birth Order and Relationships

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to throw this out here, and see what bites. What do all of you think about the connections between birth order in a family and relationships? By "relationships" I mean, people forming connections such as those seen in a marriage or in a dating relationship. So what I'm talking about here are relationships like: the first born marrying the youngest, the middle child dating the oldest, the middle child marrying the youngest, or the first born dating the only child.

Here are some possible personality characterics of people in these birth orders:

First born: Responsible, driven, caring, team player, reliable, assertive, want things his own way, energetic, and ambitious.

Middle child: Loner, diplomatic, calm, peacemaker, uptight, loud, friendly, outgoing, patient, competitive, flexible, attention seeking, independant, realistic.

Youngest: Risk taker, rebel, overly ambitious, care-free, easy going, affectionate, social, like to make people laugh.

Only Child: confidant, likes to impress, sensitive to criticism, feels priviledged, spoiled, perfectionist, very creative, well spoken.

I am a firstborn and I married a youngest of 3. We probably each act somewhere along the generalized paths of our birth orders - I know I probably am a classic firstborn - but I don't believe birth order had anything to do with whether we liked each other or not. I think it just carries over into how we relate to each other and the boundaries of when we're feeling a little me-oriented.

I have dated first borns and youngests... I don't think I have dated a middle child - but not for birth order reasons LOL.

In the case of me & my youngest-born wife... I would say she is definitely more carefree than I am, a little more naturally affectionate and she had her rebellious stage as a kid.

Only Child: confidant, likes to impress, sensitive to criticism, feels priviledged, spoiled, perfectionist, very creative, well spoken.

I'm an only child and am definitely not confident. I do love impressing people and am sensitive to criticism. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but am not creative nor well spoken.

Im first born, with 2 younger brothers and 1 sister - but I definitely have traits from all of the sections, so not sure how well your list works ;/

for example:

I am : Responsible, driven, caring, team player, reliable, assertive, I'd say im middle of the road on the energetic and ambitious scale, I'm also a loner, calm, friendly, patient, a bit competitive, flexible, independent, realistic, I'm a bit of a risk taker (I'll risk my own life in things like snowboarding, downhill mountain biking, I want to try sky diving etc) but I'll never risk another, easy going, confidant, a bit of a perfectionist.

So basically a mix of all 4! I really can't see my self ever caring about birth order or taking it into account etc.

edit: To answer your question - If there's studies out there showing that there is some correlation between birth order and traits I'd love to see it, but I have a hard time seeing it based on the lists you have presented because I'm such a mix.