FreshhhTilllDeathhh

POLL: How do you respond when people react with shock to you being a virgin and/or WTM?

How should we respond when people react with shock to us being virgins and WTM?   15 members have voted

1. 1. How should we respond when people react with shock to us being virgins and WTM?

• Give them an indignant look (insert appropriate rage face here)
    • You're too kind (Act flattered)
    • Blank stare
    • Politely defend your stand
    • Explain that you are old fashioned but not narrow minded
    • Challenge them to a duel
    • Simply walk away...shaking your head... vigorously

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

This is a really tough question FTD! I'm not very open about it but if they were shocked I'd give them an explanation and ask for respect regardless.

1 person likes this

I don't talk about it, but if it came out, i'd just be polite about it say my thing if I feel like its appropriate or change the conversation or something if not. If they really can't leave it alone/respect it i'd probably just walk away or ignore them.

2 people like this

I voted "challenge them to a duel" ...not because I really would lol but my response isn't really listed ;) (and I thought I'd be the only one to pick that but apparently not!)

Anyway, I usually try to use humor to make them feel more comfortable. I think we need to remember....odds are the person you just told is probably more uncomfortable than you are at that moment! So I just play it off and try not to act 'awkward' because in turn that will invariably make the other person do the same. No reason for it to be an awkward convo...I know many people are probly like 'yeah right' but seriously I've told several people (some recently in fact) and I haven't felt awkward doing it...I kinda think the surprised reactions are funny! So I just laugh and go on down the road :)

1 person likes this

Good one DD im not the best at being humorous in those kind of situations....if anything id poke fun at myself like "i know i have a great chance at finding a guy since im WTM ha ha" which is a lil lame anyway :P

1 person likes this

Good one DD im not the best at being humorous in those kind of situations....if anything id poke fun at myself like "i know i have a great chance at finding a guy since im WTM ha ha" which is a lil lame anyway :P

Haha yeah thats exactly what I mean! I think it shows the person that their line of thinking (which is probly something like "is this guy/girl serious NO ONE does that anymore!!!) is actually somewhat accurate (Lets face it most people don't wait lol) and it kinda lets them know that while you're serious about it its ok to talk about and maybe kid about a little bit etc.

1 person likes this

Haha yeah thats exactly what I mean! I think it shows the person that their line of thinking (which is probly something like "is this guy/girl serious NO ONE does that anymore!!!) is actually somewhat accurate (Lets face it most people don't wait lol) and it kinda lets them know that while you're serious about it its ok to talk about and maybe kid about a little bit etc.

I think that's unbelievably mature of you DD - and all of you guys who seem pretty darn comfortable sharing that waiting behavior with others. I applaud you all - because while I had the inner strength to do that and to wait... I did it quietly!

1 person likes this

I dont really openly share it unless im sure someone has similar.morals/values to me...i think people can usually tell im not one of those girls so they cN only assume-long time serious relationship or marriage so i doubt theyd be surprised :P

I agree with Onehappygirl and Chris. It isn't something I discuss with people. I would just respond in a respectful appropriate way and change the conversation topic afterwards.

Eh, I don't tell people I am WTM because even my friends gave me a "wtf?" look. lol. They were clearly uncomfortable with the concept, which makes no sense to me. But whatever. Anyways, I'm in university now so everyone assumes no one is a virgin, but if someone asks me I won't lie. Yeah, they'll probably think "loser!" or "weird!" and that bothers me, but what can I do about it? I remember when my 19 - almost 20 - year old friend said she was still a virgin while we (and some other friends) were eating dinner together at the caf. I could tell she wasn't okay with it, and it wasn't easy to say. Even though all of us except one girl were still virgins. lol. For the longest time I was ashamed and embarrassed of my virginity, but now I have come to realize that I would really, really despise myself if I wasn't a virgin. So now I feel way better about it!

Basically my answer is none of the above. I wouldn't glare, or act flattered, or try to defend myself...I would honestly be very uncomfortable.

Being a college student, most people don't respond to it very well. I once told a group of people and they continue to make fun of me for it, calling my boyfriend gay. It hurts alot, but I think that waiting till marriage is a good test of character for friends as well as potential partners. Since its obviously not the normal thing to do, to have someone react with respect shows they really care about you, your feelings and your beliefs.

1 person likes this

There was a time in my life where I wasn't necessarily proud of my decision; I didn't show it outwardly. I'd never bring it up or allow there to be a possibility of it getting mentioned.

One day, I realized that every decision we make defines who we are as a person. We owe it to ourselves to be proud of who we are and if we aren't proud of ourselves, we should ask ourselves "why not?" Here I am doing something noble; something most people don't do anymore. I'll be so happy that I've made this promise as well as my future husband.

Because of this, I shine <3

Being a college student, most people don't respond to it very well. I once told a group of people and they continue to make fun of me for it, calling my boyfriend gay. It hurts alot, but I think that waiting till marriage is a good test of character for friends as well as potential partners. Since its obviously not the normal thing to do, to have someone react with respect shows they really care about you, your feelings and your beliefs.

This is another reason! You deserve to be loved for all that you are. Those who wait til marriage or will wait with somebody have a unique character- strong sense of loyalty, commitment, faithfulness, and strength. Don't let anybody put you down for that!