Guest markb4

Cursing

24 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Are you ok with your spouse/bf/gf cursing/using foul language or would that be a deal-breaker for you?

Once in awhile is not big deal or hell or s*** here or there but not the f word. Or using Gods name in vain...i dont usually tell people that bothers me, but cNt you come up with something more creative than saying Jesus?!

2 people like this

I also don't use cursing nor would want a wife who does, maybe rarely like Sally pointed out. The only exception I may have is using certain language during sex if it's something that we both would want. So, to add to my earlier question, what do you think about certain language during lovemaking if it's something that you both agree on?

No, I wouldn't accept four-letter words, ever.

Ewww sorry Mark but can we please move this to viewer discretion??! Thanks!!

lol!

I'd be okay with the odd word here and there, although I don't find it very attractive. But I hate people using God's name in vain, and I wouldn't tolerate that from him. I remember once when I was in a pet store (that's not particularly important to the story), when this little girl, I'd say no older than ten, very loudly blasphemed (both words, the whole "JC") while she was looking at the rabbits (no idea why she did). And her mother was standing right next to her, and said nothing! I don't think she even blinked! I actually wanted to say to her, "Excuse me, but aren't you going to discipline your daughter for that? Maybe you're not a religious person, but surely you understand that that was extremely offensive?!"

xxx

3 people like this

I don't have a problem with swearing in frustration or something like that, (mainly since I do it, though I am definitely cutting back in swearing and usually just do a urraahhhhh instead) but I find that when people use it as part of their daily vocab it is extremely disrespectful and uncomfortable to be around them (I've worked shop jobs, and my brother has as well and unfortunately brought it home with him).

My sister also gets really irritated at it, which is why I make an effort to stop. She hates it because its a reminder of the boys in school and she's very disappointed in the quality of people in her school after doing a year of private.

Well I personally absolutely never swear, ever. Well I use the word Hell and some other things that religious people would find offensive, but I personally do not view them as swear words. Not as for the c-word, s-word, f-word, etc, I never ever use. I am frustrated, I say "phooey" instead. XD I could never be attracted to a guy who swears a lot, but under heavy frustration or physical pain I suppose it's okay. Although I once stubbed my toe really badly and had no problem screaming "gosh darnit!" because there were kids around me.

Unfortunately. I have a potty mouth on me.

I usually swear in cases of extreme anger and frustration, but never in front of children and people I don't think would appreciate it.

I really can tell that since I began a relationship with God, He has helped me to not curse so much. I have very occasional moments ever so often like every three or four months that something I shouldn't say slips out, but i feel really bad every time it happens and am truly repentant about it. My dad got angry a lot growing up so I heard "words" said at me from a very young age. Anyways, so regarding my husband, i could understand the occasional "slip up" because i am not perfect either, but hopefully it truly would be occasional on his and my part and that eventually hopefully sooner than later, we would both be matured in the area of our speech and not say curse words at all.

Once in awhile is not big deal or hell or s*** here or there but not the f word. Or using Gods name in vain...i dont usually tell people that bothers me, but cNt you come up with something more creative than saying Jesus?!

When I read the thread title this was going to be my exact response lol! I swear on occasion but like Sally put it, just hell or s-word or what have you. People taking the Lord's name in vain just makes me cringe...I can't stand it. I don't even like people saying "Oh my God"...but I suppose that's better than GD. Is it a deal-breaker?? Meh I don't know about that but I do know hearing girls use the f word is a huge turn off (or God's name in vain for that matter).

Our construction manager at my work uses the f word pretty much every other word so while I am used to hearing it :lol: it isn't really part of my vocabulary.

And Jegsy that's crazy abou that mom in the store. Stuff like that just makes you shake your head. Its funny I've had somewhat the opposite happen once on a job-site...one of our guys said JC really loud as he was working and another guy (who's pretty religious) said in kind of a funny way "Hey, Jesus Christ didn't have anything to do with that!" I thought that was a pretty good response! The other guy kinda laughed and said yeah I know sorry. But why people feel the need to take the Lord's name in vain when they're frustrated is beyond me.

1 person likes this

Yeah...I've worked with all guys for ten years, and the girls I have dated have been either non-waiters with no limits on swearing, or waiters from cultural backgrounds where swearing is punctuation (e.g., big Irish family).

So swearing is very normal to me. Ideally, I'd like to be like my articulate brother, who drops the F-bomb only like twice per year, and when he does it is calculated to add rare emphasis to a point.

Of course, that's ideally. I usually speak without swearing around people I don't know, and then swear every other word around close friends. :unsure:

In general, I try to read the room, and make a point not to be the first one to break the swear barrier. In some environments I cuss up a storm (e.g., at work). And in others I try to be more reserved and polite.

1 person likes this

I am fully with Mike... but I do draw the line VERY SPECIFICALLY on a few particular phrases esp of course any that include name-in-vain. The rest of the words tend to be a regular visitor in my vocabulary - but never in a context where they are unprecedented or wildly off acceptable and off-limits.

In my case, the biggest things I watch are people I don't know, situations I don't know, clients and kids. All deserve my full attention and my most appropriate vocabulary respect... and all receive it easily from me.

waiters from cultural backgrounds where swearing is punctuation (e.g., big Irish family).

Haha this made me think of some family friends. They're a big Catholic family and super nice people but me and my buddy (who also knows them) tell people that the dad's first language is not English...it's swearing :lol: ! Haha I was at a football game last fall and he was there....my goodness I felt bad for those refs...and any children that might've been around haha

1 person likes this

I realize i didn't actually answer the question though in my agreement with Mike! I'm ok with it in circumstances... and Markb4 asked about how i would feel about gf (or in my case, wife)... and the honest answer is ... in circumstances... for punctuation... when expressing frustration or maybe a moment or anger. Not as common vocabulary nope. I don't use it at home like that either.

Occasional swearing doesn't really bother me or swearing in times of frustration or pain. I only have a bit of a problem with it when it is used all the time just because it can be. It definitely wouldn't be a dealbreaker. I'm not going to lie, I swear when I'm really agitated and I call swear words my "emergency-something-bad-is-going-to-happen" words when I'm being thrown off a horse, but usually I only swear when I'm by myself or with people I know don't mind. I used to do a lot of work with kids as a camp counselor and as a horseback riding instructor, so I have learned to really watch myself, and if I do curse in public its usually only under extreme circumstances. Most of the time I just make weird sounds or substitute with words like "gravy" or "monkey". I don't really know where those came from. lol.

I like Missy and others use substitute words a lot. The only curse words that I guess you can consider as language that I use is really the British, "bloody", mainly because it's not offensive at all in America. How offensive is it in the UK for any UK ppl here?

I'm okay with it to an extent. I don't mind people who curse under their breath (like in times of pain or frustration). Although, I do mind people who use it as a replacement for their own natural language.

Any swearing or cursing is a huge turn-off for me, and would be a deal-breaker unless the person was willing to try and retrain themselves.

I personally find it offensive, and downright lazy. I can understand in times of pain or frustration (but not all the time), but generally swearing is people having too small a vocabulary to express themselves.

In Australia at least, the F-word is used as a noun, verb, adjective, pronoun, adverb, interjection, and as such is WAY overused. I cringe every time I hear it (which sadly, at my work is at least 50 times a day).

The only curse words that I guess you can consider as language that I use is really the British, "bloody", mainly because it's not offensive at all in America.

I do that too. lol.

The only curse words that I guess you can consider as language that I use is really the British, "bloody", mainly because it's not offensive at all in America. How offensive is it in the UK for any UK ppl here?

It's still sort of considered swearing, but not a very strong word. Like, they can use it in films that are rated PG (I believe you have that rating over in the US), so for children around 8 or so. But you still wouldn't use it in front of your teachers, for example.

xxx

It's still sort of considered swearing, but not a very strong word. Like, they can use it in films that are rated PG (I believe you have that rating over in the US), so for children around 8 or so. But you still wouldn't use it in front of your teachers, for example.

xxx

Ah, interesting!

Hey all,

Are you ok with your spouse/bf/gf cursing/using foul language or would that be a deal-breaker for you?

I curse sometimes when I get really frustrated and in my head sometimes it's slipt out but like others said as long as it's not every other word once in a blue month haha

Anyone ever see "A Christmas Story"? Well, that dad is my dad, so I'm not used to people being shy about using colorful language.

Honestly, I can be embarrassed easily. I get uncomfortable when I'm with or around people swearing in public, or swearing around kids. Can't stand that, makes me feel like people have no respect or discipline. However, I'm not perfect, but I do try to practice "situational awareness". So, is there such a thing as a "responsible swearer"?

Things slip out occasionally. But I will say, when doing some sales work a while ago, you learn a lot of different, shall we say, "dialects"? Is there some sort of expression, "If you want to hang with the French, you need to learn how to speak French"?

Let's just say I have an extended vocabulary that I feel I have some control over.

1 person likes this