Slayerofdragon

WTM.org. What you love and will miss about the site?

13 posts in this topic

The site is going down starting March 1 so I thought that I would ask the question: what will you miss about WTM.org and what do you love about the site?

I will start. I will miss the camaraderie that I gained from being a member. I created and established many friendships here and I will miss the opportunity to make friendships with future WTMers. This was to me the “watering hole” where people with similar like minds could come and gather. 

As a member, I loved the forums. I loved interacting and getting to know fellow members through reading and commenting on their posts. 

What about you?

9 people like this

Great post, Slayer.

I love that I can explore any topic I dream up.  I enjoy hearing other people's perspectives.   And I feel like I know personally the people that are here.  I love that the common ground of everyone here is a based on a value system.  That's a pretty cool thing to be united over. 

5 people like this

In general, I will miss having a place where I can interact with other people who agree with me on one of the things that distinguishes us so much from others. There are other websites dedicated to WTM, but this is the WTM forum I know of. It was always nice to know that there were other people like myself out there.

6 people like this

I enjoyed getting on the chatroom. It was always good to talk to people I knew on there and meet new people. A lot of times I was on it in the early hours of the morning since that was when traffic on it seemed to pick up. If there was a slow moment at work, I could get on it for a while there.

6 people like this

On 2/13/2020 at 9:49 PM, Syzygy said:

In general, I will miss having a place where I can interact with other people who agree with me on one of the things that distinguishes us so much from others. There are other websites dedicated to WTM, but this is the WTM forum I know of. It was always nice to know that there were other people like myself out there.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I agree 100%. :)

3 people like this

I joined this site in 2012, when I was 18 y/o. I'm 26 now and though I haven't been around as much lately; (a part due to medical reasons), I've grown and learned a lot. This site has helped me see other perspectives on various things and that's something I've come to appreciate more.

And of course I like the support I've gotten through interactions with other members on here. Keeping to your beliefs and values can be a challenge, but it can also set you apart. I'm glad I found this community apart from the rest.

5 people like this

I will miss this site very much. When I first discovered this site, I was so happy that I have found like-minded people (although I have found out over time that there are VERY different kinds of WTMers). It was interesting to get into conversations and discussions, to see other perspectives and opinions and thoughts. I enjoyed writing about so many different topics and "meet" new people on here. I also loved the helping and advice-giving aspect of this site.

Although this site has been "dead" for quite some time now (which was a bummer), it was really sad to see the information that this site will be closed for good. I found out about it a couple days after Mike was posting the information. I was just checking out if something new happened on this site and then I saw Mike´s post in the forums. Thanks all the same, Syzygy (sorry, it doesn´t work to mark up names somehow) for the information message! Thought about doing something like that, as well. But I guess, you were faster ;-)

Thank you, Queen, for establishing a new place for this community! I will check it out.

And thanks, Mike, for making up this site all those years ago. And thanks for writing your book!

I might come around this website before it closes. And I definitely need to bookmark the other available platforms for this community.
I´m just really sad this site will be taken down. Another thing I really enjoyed were the articles! So I will miss them. Well, actually I do miss them for quite some while. I think, the last article has been written in 2016.
Altogether I will miss this whole dynamic on here, we used to have. And I will miss the introduction posts of new members.

Another thing I really loved about this site was the openness for people of all walks of life. For non-religious people and religious people, for atheists, agnostics, for everyone. It has not been a religious site, but very welcoming for everybody. This has been a very, VERY essential aspect of why I even registered on here all those years ago.

I also liked that it brought people together from all over the world. Although it also could be a bummer, when you met someone on here you found friendly and interesting (even just as friends), and then you found out that the person lives on the other half of the globe.

Another thing I found really interesting, were the posts from married waiters. Loved to here their thoughts and experiences "on the other side".

In addition, this site definitely has been a very nice practice in the English language for me, since English is not my native language.

I hope, this community will live on somehow. It has been a very cool experience. Thank you.

5 people like this

And a question: Somebody posted a link to a copy of this website. Like an internet archive. I can´t find it anymore and don´t know who posted it. Can anybody please post that link again? Would be cool to have a place where you can still go through the website, even though  "the real thing" is actually gone.

3 people like this

I joined the site waaaay back in 2018 and met wonderful people here.  If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't have met my lovely wife.   Also I still keep contact with Vince, Francois and Jasmine. 

6 people like this

1 hour ago, eugene said:

I joined the site waaaay back in 2018 and met wonderful people here.  If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't have met my lovely wife.   Also I still keep contact with Vince, Francois and Jasmine. 

I remember  you joining not too long after myself. I've enjoyed our conversations. Hope you can make it to the new forum!

2 people like this

I joined back in 2012 and have been off and on active. Some of my best friends I have met on this site. I love you all. I am greatly saddened to learn this site is going away, but I hope that the community and spirit will go on with another site or platform. 

2 people like this

Since I can´t post anything in the "Announcement Forums", I will post here:

WHAT!!!!?????? Vince, this is such good news! I did not expect that AT ALL! :o:lol::):P;)

It would be so awesome if this site could be maintained in some way or another. Thanks everybody who is working on it!

I just got onto this site today out of curiosity. Just because I wanted to see what the browser window is going to say. And then I saw your message in the forums.

Thanks so much! Happy Sunday, Everyone!

PS: One thing I am quite worried about this site is the security. For a very long time I wasn´t able to come to this site due to security problems that popped up all the time. Now I can indeed accomplish the log in, but it still says, that this site is not secure. This worries me. So if there could be anything done for the security of this site, it would be very good, I suppose. Dont´t want to "demand" anything, but I thought I just give this info. I know other members have this problem, as well. Thanks so much again for your work, guys!

^_^

4 people like this