melissa2587

Pre-Marriage Counseling

2 posts in this topic

I'm going to be starting pre-marriage counseling with my fiance at his church. He's Christian and I'm jewish. I don't follow most jewish holidays or anything like that since I was not brought up religious but I really do not want to convert. I do go to church with him every Wednesday because he wants me to do AND I do find it very interesting so I don't mind. He is fine with me never converting - this is the topic we have spoken about right from the beginning and if anything, he wants it to be my choice but I am terrified that we will be deemed “unfit” to be married. And even know I know we are okay with getting married... I am just scared of them. I have never been through this, and don’t know anyone close to me that has. Any advice? 

Side note... it scares me even more because his dad, friends of the family, etc. always tell him that we will be deemed unfit. 

1 person likes this

Hey @melissa2587 it's really nice to hear a similar story to my parents. My mom is Catholic while my dad is Jewish. They raised me Catholic as is tradition to go with the mother's religion and because of her commitment to the faith he didn't really worry about us being raised right. I am so grateful to live in a multifaith family. It's so much fun to see both cultures and taught tolerance and love of those different than me at a young age. So don't worry about how your future kids might feel. I know so many people now who have mixed christian/jewish parents and they all seem to like it too. From what I hear it was difficult at the start for my parents, but it was well worth it. They found a very accepting priest to bless their marriage after about two years of just a legal marriage. You should be fine in pre-marriage counseling as I know for a fact most denominations of Christianity (especially Catholicism) have started to come around on that. If you have any more specific questions please ask!!!!