Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DHZ

Would a girl want a guy that's almost 30 that still lives at home with his parents if he's saving money for a house?

5 posts in this topic

Would a girl want a guy that's almost 30 that still lives at home with his parents if he's saving money for a house?

Basically, I'm still living at home. But I have a full time job, and should hopefully have a programming job sometime this year. But I don't see the point of renting an apartment when I could use be using that money to save for a house (I still am paying my parents some rent, just not as much as I would be for a apartment.) But I'm looking for a girl that I can marry, not someone just to goto bed with. at least in my mind, it makes more sense save money now then when I get married find a house so I'll have less to worry about after I get married and hopefully have a house that's mostly or fully paid off.
2 people like this

Honestly I think we live in a society that full of double standards. In this case women are often expected to stay home until they are married or she has a really good job and decides to move out on her on accord. On the flip side men have an expiration date on when they can stay at home, or as the Hollywood stereotype puts it only serial killers stay at home.

In my personal opinion I think it's smart, as long as you aren't freeloading off your parents, to stay home pay off your student loans should you have them, save up some money while contributing to your current household. Then when you are ready to spread your wings you can successfully. In fact my dentist told me he actually made his son stay home, and told him he thought it was silly for him to move out and pay rent somewhere, when he could simply stay home and save up then buy a nice house somewhere. Now his son has gotten married and is living in Texas in a house he bought with the money he saved from living at home. 

I'm sure it's a cultural thing really. For example my mother told me she would never put me out as long as I was contributing, and of course I plan to move out one day, but I'm definitely not rushing to do so like some of my friends are pressuring me to do. Why leave and struggle when I can leave and be stable.:huh:

2 people like this

On 4/5/2018 at 4:41 PM, DHZ said:

Basically, I'm still living at home. But I have a full time job

It is the current norm fueled by the Bush era economic crisis. So don't worry. The phenomenon is now global.

I would still say that it has always been common in California for adult children. 

My husband is in his 30's. Before we married, I convinced him to stay with his parents while I was doing my masters 2 hours away. It helped him greatly. He paid off all his student loans, bought a house and gained his dream skill of repairing cars in their yard. He couldn't have done it in an apartment. He hates to live with his parents though.

It is quite unlikely that a woman would reject you for your choice of home. What I am used to seeing now is that plenty of girlfriends are warming up to the idea of living in their boyfriends' parental home. 

In this day and age buying a house or even finding a place to rent is very difficult more and more people are staying with parents into their 30s. If it's for practical reasons as apposed to a lack of ability or indipendence I would see it as a positive that a man is planning and thinking practically about his future.

Shot answer yes I would marry a man still living at home.

If it had been practical for me to stay at home I would still be there as it stands I'm turning 26 in a few weeks and trying to figure out how I can make it possible to move back home.

1 person likes this

I'm 26, this is basically my plan too. Whether you're planning to marry sooner, later, or perhaps not at all, it's important to save. Maybe invest too, I'm trying to learn more about that and they say start as young as possible.

If your parents are cool with it, then living with them is a good way to save money. I help pay bills and debt, rarely buy anything I don't need. Here in London, no one buys houses because the prices are sky high, most people under 35 live with parents. Immigrants usually save by having 2 families in one house. What girls think of you doesn't matter. A girl who would prefer you rent an apartment and live paycheck to paycheck is not the type who will save money, put kids first, and stick with you through hard times. The superficial idea of independence means more to that kind of girl than building a future together.