Will H

How do you deal with one-sided conversations in online dating?

3 posts in this topic

So I've been online dating for a while and oftentimes wind up with one-way conversations with people I'm matched with. I ask open-ended questions, and while she responds, she doesn't really ask questions back. After a while, it starts feeling like a job interview. I don't know if she's not interested or is shy or what. Honestly, it's something that really makes me less interested in her.

How do you deal with these one-sided conversations in online dating?

1 person likes this

In all honesty, I think I've been on both sides of this. I tend to just let them fizzle out after a while because if the problem is shyness it will usually subside at least a little after a few awkward messages. Unfortunately I have been the problem. Things seem to go well but I end up not being able to take it further than communication. Anyway, it's really an odd problem to work out because everyone is different and the same all at the same time. If that makes sense to anyone but me.

This is actually one of my biggest pet peeves. If I look back at all the many interactions I've had in my life, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that this is a disturbingly common problem in this world. Now it is possible that some people do have social anxiety and just ramble about themselves as a coping mechanism. However, I think most people who do this are just socially retarded. I don't mean that as an insult to mentally retarded people, I just mean that people are very stunted in their ability to have balanced conversations. 

We live in a world that is becoming increasingly self-centered. We tell young people to do what makes them happy and that they are special and all this other trite nonsense. You at people's social media and what do you see? It's just a narcissistic highlight reel where people show off new cars, houses or vacations. That or they are posting 15 pics of the same selfie from different angles while they are making those ridiculous duck faces. They think they look hot but in reality they just look like complete fools. I say to these people, sorry but you're not really that special nor does the whole world revolve around you. We've lost the art of having real and meaningful relationships with people.

My advice in situations like these is to wish this girl well and then move on. People who aren't showing interest in you or putting effort are selfish and not worth the effort. You said it yourself that it makes you less interested in her and I don't blame you one bit. Look for the girl who shows just as much interest in getting to know you and you for her.

2 people like this