seabutterfly

Net Neutrality.

12 posts in this topic

Hey, I just wanted to say that if the Congress can't overrule the repeal, and the doomsday nightmare comes true, thank you.

This site has given me so much, I came here because of one really bad night with depression. As soon as I found the forums I instantly felt elated. I felt like I could love myself again. So thank you to everyone I have interacted with, remember that you matter. Even if we never even talked thank you, because at one point I probably read a post or stalked your page because I was bored. Or maybe I didn't even do that, but your sheer existence enabled a community to stay alive and grow so that I could one day find it. I pray for you guys a lot, and that won't stop whether or not net neutrality is repealed or not. Love you all 

7 people like this

" This site has given me so much, I came here because of one really bad night with depression. As soon as I found the forums I instantly felt elated. I felt like I could love myself again. So thank you to everyone I have interacted with, remember that you matter. Even if we never even talked thank you, because at one point I probably read a post or stalked your page because I was bored. Or maybe I didn't even do that, but your sheer existence enabled a community to stay alive and grow so that I could one day find it. I pray for you guys a lot, and that won't stop whether or not net neutrality is repealed or not. Love you all  "

-That's very sweet of you! 

But don't worry about the net neutrality issue. The 'worst' likely thing that might come out of its repeal is maybe having to pay a little bit more for a video streaming subscription if you have such. 

1 person likes this

Thank you. But that's not the worst, that's probable, there are many ways companies could get greedy and do worse things and manipulate the law. I'm not saying that this will definitely happen, but they could easily decide to run the web like tv in a doomsday scenario.

What a nice post! I only just joined the other day, but the people here have helped me already and I look forward to talking with and helping others as well! It's such a shame that it doesn't appear to be nearly as active as it once was, but nonetheless I feel like there was a reason I found it. I really hope nothing too bad comes out of all of this. I highly doubt it will affect this site too much, but it would really be a shame if it did. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

1 person likes this

I am very happy you found the forum, seabutterfly! You are an integral part of it. ^_^

Yes, unfortunately companies have proven corrupt in the past, at least with blocking competing products or services. Let's hope public awareness is a deterrent for repeating any of those misdeeds. I doubt it will affect any site like this which has little traffic to begin with in addition to almost no consumer or political influence. :unsure:

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, redgrapes said:

I am very happy you found the forum, seabutterfly! You are an integral part of it. ^_^

Aww thanks! 

23 hours ago, redgrapes said:

Yes, unfortunately companies have proven corrupt in the past, at least with blocking competing products or services. Let's hope public awareness is a deterrent for repeating any of those misdeeds. I doubt it will affect any site like this which has little traffic to begin with in addition to almost no consumer or political influence. :unsure:

Yeah but it seems like it could end up shutting down small websites if they can't pay y'know? I'm not sure though

1 person likes this

This truly saddens me. We won't let greed take over the internet. This is the only medium where I can be confidently express myself. I hope we have a better year this coming 2018.

@seabutterfly You're welcome! :)

I think the biggest threat to the future of this site is potential neglect by the owner if what happened to the chat room is any indicator. :unsure:

My internet has been miserable recently though. It crashed and made posting this take over ten minutes.

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, redgrapes said:

I think the biggest threat to the future of this site is potential neglect by the owner if what happened to the chat room is any indicator. :unsure:

I agree. That is why I suggested someone start a new thread where we all list our email addresses in case the site crashes lol:

Now as someone who watches network news almost everyday, I feel like I should know what everyone is talking about regarding "net neutrality and congress" but I have no clue on this one...:huh: What is going on?

@SG1 OK this is a long one to explain, but to put it really simply it basically means that with net neutrality service providers are not allowed to slow down certain websites, charge money for certain websites, or anything. With the repeal this means they could potentially run the internet in a similar fashion to TV with packages and such. I did a school assignment on it, and this is the article we looked at http://fortune.com/2017/11/23/net-neutrality-explained-what-it-means-and-why-it-matters/ but the FCC's already passed this repeal as well https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/11/16/the-fcc-just-repealed-decades-old-rules-blocking-broadcast-media-mergers/?utm_term=.39f726fe7d31

1 person likes this

Net neutrality wasn't enacted until February 2015. I don't think anyone noticed anything different from before then till now. This website existed before that as well. 

In other words, net neutrality was only official policy for less than 3 years. 2014 was not the dark ages, now will tomorrow be either.

1 person likes this