Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DHZ

Are psycologists really able to help people with depression?

7 posts in this topic

I've been depressed for long time, and right now it seems to be getting to worse. I mean, I finished college a few months ago and now I'm having problems finding a programming job. I'm not even getting any calls for a interviews. So right now I only have part time job that I hate pushing carts for only 2-3 days a weeks. I really don't even have any motivation right now to look for a job or work on a new skill lately.

I really don't have any real life friends that I can really talk to about anything. I rarely get touch like hugs or holding hands or any of the small contact that people really need. Which especially a problem since touch is my strongest love language. Really the last time I got a hug from non family was 7 months. I've never had a girlfriend.

I'm on meds for the depression, but they don't seem to be helping me.

I don't know, things really don't seem to be improving lately. I've been going to psychologists for years and it really hasn't seemed to be too helpful for me. Really it's mostly been CBT, but I thinking of something more like what's caused pain and rejection in the past and see if I could get healing that way. Though really I won't be able to see a psychologist till next year since I've already used all my visits for this year...

12 hours ago, DHZ said:

I'm not even getting any calls for a interviews.

What methods are you using to get past the ATS? If you're not getting any calls back, it is almost certainly because the ATS is rejecting your job application/resume.

Applicant Tracking System. ATS's are now used by almost every company in the US...with the exception of small business owners that can't afford the programs. An ATS tracks, manages and organizes all the applications for the employer. The main purpose of an ATS is to match your application/resume to the job posting. For example, many employers program their ATS to only show HR the applications that scored a 90% or higher. If you're not getting called back, I am certain it's because you're not getting past the ATS. (assuming you dont have a felony record)

I can promise you this, if you do not understand how to tailor your job application/resume to score above a 90%.... (and you're not networking) you can fill out hundreds of applications and won't get one call back....because HR will never even see your application/resume. I used https://www.jobscan.co/#   , to learn more about ATSs. I signed up for their service and utilized all of their tools. Then I started to getting calls and interviews. Obviously that does not guarantee a job...but at least you know your application/resume is getting seen by HR.

About the job-searching: try Ask a Manager for excellent advice about applying for jobs and writing strong cover letters/resumes. I hope the job situation improves soon. I know that work situations can strongly affect mental health.

To address your more important question: it sucks that you can't see your psychologist sooner. It sounds like your mental health professionals need to know as soon as possible that you feel your depression isn't well-controlled right now. And make sure you let loved ones know, too. People who care about you want to know that you're hurting. You might also look into low-cost counseling (churches might have good resources/recommendations). In the meantime, keep doing all those endorphin-producing activities: exercising, spending time outside, socializing when possible, eating healthy food, etc.

You say that you don't have much of a community of friends around you, and my heart breaks for you. Building a good community of supportive friends once you're out of school is not easy for anyone, and I imagine that depression would only make it that much more difficult. (Sidebar: I often think about how men seem to have more difficulty building strong networks of deep friendship, and I wish it were different.) If you can, keep showing up to social events and pat yourself on the back every time you do. That takes serious bravery. Also, there are lots of places around the web where people gather to support each other through depression, and they might be able to help you fight against the lies that depression tries to tell you.

It's hard to stay motivated when you're depressed, so be patient with yourself. You are valuable. You are important. Take courage, dear one.

1 person likes this

Have you any of the mental health facilities if the have a sliding scale option, or any other way to have therapy covered. I suggest looking into this because I know the place I go through has different options, even for people without insurance or any way to pay. Being in the state of mind that you're in is very difficult and I'll pray for you. Also, if you need to talk feel free to pm me. Sometimes it can help just to have someone to talk to, even if we don't really know them.

1 person likes this

I personally have some anxiety issues. To somehow deal with it, I work out a lot to angry music. Just try to transform that negative energy into something productive. Believe it or not it makes an anormous difference. Also I started taking anti-anxiety pills (supplied by Canada drugs) due to very bad panic attacks and depression. Those two methods are absolutely effective for reducing my anxiety in tough situations. Not to overpay, I order my pills online