Edelweiss

Matchmaking by family

3 posts in this topic

Dear Guys,

It comes up to my mind regarding matchmaking by your family. I have met some couples here got married because of their parents' matchmaking. Some have a happily marriage life and others not. I am an Asian and I am from a clan where matchmaking is popular. It is not only your family will be busy matchmaking you with someone, but also your neighbours. Thankfully my parents aren't into matchmaking. 

I would like to know your opinion if it happens to you. Would you guys accept it or not?

Thank you.

I'm Asian as well, Chinese to be exact. Arranged marriages were somewhat common in my family's culture. My paternal grandparents are in an arranged marriage. I'm not sure if that's still a big thing over there. I do know that even though the current generation choose whom they marry, many Asian parents still expect to have a say in it. For example, my great aunt and uncle are pretty racist. So when my uncle was dating a white woman, they threatened to disown him if he marries her. Luckily my parents aren't like that.

My parents still would prefer that I marry another Chinese girl, but ultimately it doesn't matter to them as long as she is a Christian. Personally, I'm not sure I'd trust my parents to match me with the right girl. They seem to have a very different perspective of what kind of girl I should go for than I have for myself. I think I am more than capable of deciding that for myself. lol.

I would actually be very open to it if my family weren't so terrible at matchmaking for me. I mean, people in my family have tried to set me up, and results have been disastrous. My aunt tried to set me up with a woman older than me who was just leaving her multi-year mourning period over her fiance who died in a car accident. My mother tried to set me up with a single mother, claiming it was the only hope I have of having children.

That being said, I've welcomed attempts by people who actually know what I look for in a woman, but they've fallen short. As a practitioner of certain things forbidden in the book of Deuteronomy, I've used other matchmaking methods with extreme success, but I suppose it's a different dynamic altogether when the person matchmaking you isn't human, right?

But to answer your question, I'm theoretically open to it, but I've yet to see anyone do a good job for me.