dodgedude

If you're a Christian...what denomination?

65 posts in this topic

People of the same religion shouldn't have different beliefs. If you're Christian believe in the bible. It says what it says so why is there a divide? It's not like there's 20 different bibles like there are denominations. 1 bible, 1 truth, 1 type of Christian. That's how God wants it to be.

1 person likes this

I am apostolic, but was raised in the baptist church. Our doctrine is based on Acts 2:38 and we are to strive for holiness as Jesus is holy. You know those loud churches where people dance and the women wear skirts and dresses all the time??...Thats us :)

People of the same religion shouldn't have different beliefs. If you're Christian believe in the bible. It says what it says so why is there a divide? It's not like there's 20 different bibles like there are denominations. 1 bible, 1 truth, 1 type of Christian. That's how God wants it to be.

That's so true so many different versions of the bible so many interpretations, but the original version of the bible is in Hebrew and not many learn that language. so it provides a case to learn the language and seek the truth :)

If all the denominations just followed the commandment of Jesus john 13:34 then the world would be a better place to live in, but unfortunately that's not the case.

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Spread the love We can make the difference  :)

1 person likes this

I think many people would agree that ideally Christians should have the same belief, but obviously they interpret what the Bible means differently. (And, like StayingPure said, there are different versions of the Bible). Keeping this reality in mind, doesn't there have to be different denominations? And isn't every independent church really just it's own denomination then?

I think many people would agree that ideally Christians should have the same belief, but obviously they interpret what the Bible means differently. (And, like StayingPure said, there are different versions of the Bible). Keeping this reality in mind, doesn't there have to be different denominations? And isn't every independent church really just it's own denomination then?

Yeah that's true, since a denomination is formed when they don't agree to particular teachings. People tend to quote scriptures out of context and that usually happens. I honestly believe you must deny yourselves if you want to comprehend scriptures accurately. What do I mean by this? you must not use any personal bias and pray that you are able to comprehend what god wants you to understand.

If you start comprehending scriptures with a firm intention you want to believe certain things, there will always be misinterpretation.

Finally I would like to quote something that I personally find really wonderful and should be our mission as Christians  This is by St. Francis of Assisi...

"Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life". 

1 person likes this

Alot of us older members probably already know this about each other but it seems like we've had a TON of new members recently so assuming you're a Christian...

1) What denomination, if any and why?

2) Is this the denomination you were raised in or have you since changed?

No real reason for asking I just find the different Christian denominations very interesting and ultimately believe that no matter what we're all God-fearing Christians who love the Lord :)

As for me...I've gone to a Methodist church most of my life so it is what I was raised in and have continued going to. But its really more of a factor of me liking my particular church so much rather than the "Methodist Church" as a whole...I have actually considered switching to a Baptist church eventually as I feel that may fit me better....but as long as my pastor stays at my current church I'll stay.

1. I am an Orthodox Christian (Russian Orthodox Church), baptized into the Church as a child.

2. I am still an Orthodox Christian but feel comfortable attending services of other denominations, particularly Catholic (Tridentine and Novus Ordo) and Episcopal.

2 people like this

1) What denomination, if any and why?

2) Is this the denomination you were raised in or have you since changed?

I think I can answer both these questions in one response.    I  was raised in the United Methodist Church.  I still attend this church....but my history with it has been a little strange.

When I was in high school, we had an associate pastor who was very theologically liberal.   He had quite an influence on my congregation -- basically trying to say that Christianity should be completely changed.   The senior pastors in my church while growing up were older, and they were all planning on retiring after serving my church.   All of these factors contributed to an environment in which people just came to church for social reasons, it seemed.   It was like church was a big civic organization, but there was not much talk about the Christian faith.

I went every Sunday, and I went to Sunday School every week as well.  I had some good teachers, and there was a good associate pastor during my childhood....and I believed in God, but there was really no encouragement to grow in my faith.  I learned the basic stories, but I didn't really understand that God cared about me or loved me, etc.   My Sunday school teachers did their best, but they couldn't teach what they didn't know themselves.   They did not really know their Bible very well (one of my teachers didn't know where Matthew was).

In my high school years I got involved in a group called Campus Life, which was part of Youth For Christ -- I really started to grow in my faith, and I really started to understand it better.   I went on a Christian weekend with this group -- and it was non-denominational in nature.  It was there that I first understood what it was to really worship God, etc, and it was the first time that I really heard the gospel message at an adult level.  Looking back, if my only Christian experience that I'd had would have been at the church that I grew up in (again, I attended every week), then I don't think that I would be a Christian today, or know what Christian belief was.   I had to go outside of my church to learn these things.

When I was in college I got involved with several Bible studies, mostly through Campus Crusade For Christ.   I went to several conferences with Campus Crusade, and my own personal relationship with God continued to grow.  I went to other Christian events and such.....but like Campus Life, Campus Crusade For Christ was non-denominational in nature.   I got to really reading my Bible while at college, and really digging deeper in my faith.

Since then I have read a lot of books by various Christian authors from different denominations, etc.....so in that sense I'm non-denominational.

When I graduated from college and came home for a bit, I was really frustrated with the congregation that I grew up in.  I wanted to continue to grow and to be with other Christians who would encourage me to grow, and whom I could learn from.  But I didn't find them at my church.   I applied for a position at the church, working with the youth....but the people in my church had already decided against me before I even went to the interview, and the interview was very ugly.   I won't go into the details, but I will just say that they did not treat me in a very loving way.  How they treated me was not with the kind of love that I the New Testament writers wrote about.   I was very frustrated.

Then my sister suggested that I go to a chruch that her best friend went to, which was a Vineyard church.   So I went there for awhile.   There was a period of time in which I was going to both the Vineyard and the church I grew up in (the services were at different times).  Eventually, I became so frustrated with the church I grew up in that I just had to stop going there.

When I went off to graduate school, I chose to attend a Vineyard church in that area.   I really liked it, and I felt that I had found a church that I agreed with completely.  They valued Scripture, taught the gospel, worshiped in a way that my friends from college did, and they were not afraid of preaching against sin.  These people were serious about growing in their faith. They also had a lot of outreaches into the community. They were a very loving community of believers.   This worked out well for about six years.

And then something happened -- at both the Vineyard in my hometown and the Vineyard that I'd been going to while at graduate school.  Both churches got new senior pastors at roughly the same time, and both of these pastors came from similar points of view, and both chruches were turned upside down.   These new pastors did not value Scripture or the gospel as the old pastors had.   Instead, they taught almost exclusively about spiritual gifts and they taught doctrines that went against the Bible.   There was no more reverence for God or for the Bible at these churches, and I just felt that something was very wrong in these two congregations.   The things that had drawn me to these churches to begin with were no longer present. 

By this time I had graduated from graduate school, so the Vineyard in that town didn't matter.  I moved back home, and it got to the point where I had to leave the Vineyard in my hometown.   This was a heartbreaking thing...but it neeeded to be done.  I could no longer worship in good conscience there.

By the time I graduted from graduate school, things at the church I grew up in were finally beginning to turn around.  The associate pastor that was there when I was in high school was long gone.  There was an excellent senior pastor that came and went, and then another senior pastor came.   People at this church were finally beginning to go deeper in their faith, and a kids program had started at the church.  There were Bible studies, etc.   The new pastor truly was a believer, so I decided to go back to that United Methodist congregation. 

So what denomination am I?   Technically, I'm a United Methodist, as I never withdrew my membership from it, and I go there now.

However, I'm probably more like a non-denominational Christian, as the most meaningful Christian experiences that I had were in non-denominational settings.  I still like the Association of Vineyard Churches themselves -- I just wish that they were more consistant wiith doctrine and practice.   I know that there are some very good Vineyard churches out there, but then there are some Vineyard churches out there that I very strongly disagree with.

1. I'm Pentecostal. It was what I was baptized as was my mother and her side of the family.

I was raised across four denominations actually. My mother is Pentecostal, father is Methodist, step-mother is Catholic, and for a while my father and step-mother decided they were Southern Baptist. I think I've always identified as Pentecostal because I spent most of my time with my mother and her side of the family as a child and I had more stability within that denomination than with my father and step-mother, who just couldn't make up their minds. It hasn't been until recently though that I have made the conscious choice to live in Pentecostalism.

1 person likes this

1. I am an Orthodox Christian (Russian Orthodox Church), baptized into the Church as a child.

2. I am still an Orthodox Christian but feel comfortable attending services of other denominations, particularly Catholic (Tridentine and Novus Ordo) and Episcopal.

Awesome! I'm Orthodox too! Greek Orthodox. Nice to know there is another!  I wonder if we are the only two on the site?! : )

I was raised in an Evangelical, credobaptist household.  Religion runs deep in my family; both my grandfather and my great-grandfather were Pentecostal pastors, and my great-great grandfather left the Anglican church to join the Plymouth [Exclusive] Brethren.  Meanwhile, my dad left the Pentecostal movement and just became Evangelical.  He would've made a good pastor, but he decided to "lay" low instead and study theology in his spare time.  :P

Anyways, back to me.  Since 2011, I've been been exposed to Eastern Orthodoxy, and last summer I decided that I truly wanted to convert to it and become baptized.  Unfortunately, I'm either too tired or too discouraged to go to Divine Liturgy on Sunday mornings and become a catechumen, but maybe this Sunday will be different.

2 people like this

1. Pentecostal

2. I was born into this denomination and never changed.

I am a christian.

1. I'm from the Church of Christ denomination. That's my denomination because I was raised in that church. I've been to other churches on visits and I like some but I guess my heart is stuck on my church at the moment. 

2. I kinda already answered this but yes, I was raise in that church.

1 person likes this

I'm not tied to any specific denomination, but I was raised in a Assembly of God church (I guess they are Pentecostal, right?) where my parents went as well as a Lutheran church where my grandmother attends. I still go to both, though I go to the Assembly of God church more due to where I live and its my place of employment. :P  So, I guess that makes me a Luthercostal. ;)

baptist.

i was raised baptist and was baptized when i was 10. We believe age doesn't matter its more of a personal choice rather than a 'have to'

my dad was agnostic until he met my mom. and my mom was raised Methodist.

Oh boy. lol

Well, my mom was saved in a Pentecostal Church when she was in Jr. High and my dad grew up Lutheran (or something like that). When I was really little we went to a Church of God church, but I mostly remember going to a local Brotheren church until maybe 4th grade or so. After that we spent sometime trying to find a church we all liked, and eventually ended up at a different Church of God when i was in 6ish grade. That was the church I was baptized in. They changed pastors and none of us liked the new pastors so we tried to switch again and didn't end up attending church regularly again until this summer. We went to an Assemblies of God church for probably around 4 or 5 months before realizing it wasn't a great fit. My dad and I are both pretty quite and reserved..so pentecostal churches aren't really our forte. They had a good youth group, but most of the friends I made were college aged and aged out after about 3 months. I think now were going to try out a Nazarene church.

Evangelical I guess? Labels are overrated.