dodgedude

If you're a Christian...what denomination?

65 posts in this topic

I go to an independent church now called The Living Room. It's an emergent community (if that mean's anything to anyone here.)

I grew up in the Plymouth Brethren church which is a small denomination that grew out of the Anglican church in England but is not at all like Anglican!

1 person likes this

Mennonite, as in, Amish? Sorry for sounding ignorant, I'm just curious because one of the things that sort of fuelled my decision to wait was watching a Documentary about Amish communities in America (I'm from the UK) and the way that they waited till marriage to even kiss or have physical contact with their future wife/husband. I don't think I'd be able to wait till marriage to kiss but those people definitely inspired me to wait for sex! <3

That's interesting because I've read a lot of fiction that are aboit the Amish. The suthor is not Amish, rather she's lived around those.communities most of her life. Once a couple is courting (dating.with the intent.of marriage but that is not always the outcome) then they can kiss but that is it.

I am non-denominational. I was raised this way. As a child I attended a COGIC chruch and my parents grew up Baptist. While in college I fellowship regularly with individuals of the Methodist faith, the Southern Baptist faith, and the Church of Christ faith.

Culturally Baptist, but I find aspects of other denominations appealing. I adore Catholic history and philosophy, and I'm fascinated by Messianic customs.

1. I am a member of a Church of God in Christ church.

2. I started attending my church at a very early age and have been a member ever since.

Hello I was born literally as a member of the southern baptist church. Old fashion beliefs, and the old KJV Bible are cornerstones of the "the faith". I was baptized at the age of 12, and really thought that I understood God.

I believe like many baptists I didn't necessarily stray away. But I began to place my relationship with God on the not important right now list and so I attended church less, and searched for a "deeper connection". More meaning!

Early on during college I began listening to alot of Christian alternative bands, like manic drive, since October, Ever stays Red. I attended a few Christian youth groups then. And wow it was like rediscovering God, I mean no longer was God this unapproachable, awesome person. But now he was my made plain and simplified. And I like simplicity, ease. My G//F attending this church also by the way. I began reading NLT Bible version and it's like for the first time I understood the words.

Now as I mentioned in another post I attend a sorta "mega-church" here in LV. I even occasionally play in the band. I consider myself simply a follower of Christ!

1 person likes this

I go to a methodist church with my family(im15). I was also baptised methodist but i think im closer to being angican or lutheren.

I grew up Baptist in Virgina. I still go to a Baptist church in California. Yeah, good times. :)

I am Nazarene. My maternal grandparents and great-grandparents were Nazarene, and so are my parents. I still attend the same church I've been going to my whole life; I was dedicated there as a baby, went to Sunday School and did choir as a kid, chose to be baptized there as a teenager, and still attend today.

My dad was amidst building the 1st church i went to when my mom was pregnant with me , It was baptist and we drive there everytime it has its anniversary to prove were still members there (or at least thats dads philosophy) but after we moved to another town we went to a pentecostal church for a few years .Then the pastor diid something or said something (i dont remember what it was) that my dad disagreed with alot so we stopped going to church for a long time, THEN when i was old enough to go to church youth programs I alternated between calvary baptist and word of life churches on fridays but wouldnt actually go to the church on sunday(the word of life youth program was incredibly focused on Living as an example and shocking the culture into seeing how life fulfilling it can be to be a christian,it used modern music styles,motivational speeches,strange games ,and junk food to attract newcomers. Some people even started accusing it of being a strange cult and the WIERDEST rumors started appearing about it.) Now i dont even go to those,I go to the Church of God with my dad mostly because i like singing the hymns in the choir.If there was a church with a black choir in our town I would go there in an instant. One time when i was over at a friends house and his mom took me to a catholic church and (not to be offensive) I thought it was the dryest,strictest church and im sure i made people mad by just being there and oblivious to some of the things they do. I had this overwhelming sense of gloom when i entered it as opposed to the liveliness of all the other churches. My mom was raised a catholic and now doesnt go to church because she got tired of all the people not walking the paths they speak. My dad is a baptist but comes with me to church of God. Overall i came out with a belief similar to this man

1 person likes this

I would like to say that I am non-denominational, but really like Tim Hawkins said, we indeed resemble a baptist church a lot. Maybe even a bit of evangelical. If you would ask any one in my church they would answer non-denominational.

I'm utterly new here so even old posts appear to be "new". :)

But uh to answer your question... I am a Baptist. I don't want to say I was "raised" a baptist. My father is a pastor but I've never heard him once say "You should do this because you're a baptist..." OR "Don't do that because you're a baptist."

He always stressed the importance of me not solely relying on the messages I hear from pastors on sunday worship and need to have a personal devotion because Christianity is a relationship between me and God, not me and my denomination.

I remained baptist because I have felt at home with the people in the church. I have attended other churches and fellowships but I have never quite felt at home than at my home church. :)

I started going to an Assembly of God church with my grandparents when I was about 10 years old. Up until 2008 when I moved out of the area, that's where I always went. I still consider it my 'home church' and even attend services there while down visiting my family. But since I relocated, I now go to an Independent Pentecostal church.

1) What denomination, if any and why?

I am Catholic, was baptized as a baby. I grew up with Jesus as a loving presence in my life.♥

2) Is this the denomination you were raised in or have you since changed?

Yes, I was raised Catholic. My dad would only go on Easter and Christmas, but my mom always tried to get us to church every Sunday. Around the time of my confirmation I started to get involved in Youth Group and went on amazing retreats. I don't think my family knew what overcame me, but it was a lot of fun. I have done a lot of researching into my faith, and believe I will be a lifelong Catholic. The mass is so beautiful and mysterious to me.

I went to a funeral at a Methodist Church and there were a lot of similarities in the order of things and what was said. I think we all have many more similarities than differences.

2 people like this

1) I consider myself to be a Baptist, but I also identify with some non-denominational theology as well :) More often then not, I just consider myself to be a Christian!

2) I was raised in a Baptist church with my whole family, although now it's just myself and my parents - my two sisters are now atheists. Growing up I wasn't super involved with my church, other than attending Sunday school and sometimes youth group. But now as an adult I'm trying to get more and more involved in a church.

1 person likes this

Bet I am the only Restorationist. I was born into the Restoration church. I've been really studying what we are all about the last few years now and praying for guidance. Since then I have felt a great inspiration in reading my scriptures so I am happy so far with where I am. :) There is such beauty in all denominations though. No domination is perfect but I believe God will right us all one day if we have a willing heart. Can't wait for that day!

For now, the most important thing is your relationship with God the denomination just tells you how to go about that relationship but the real treasure is in that relationship. 

3 people like this

I am a Catholic because I was born and raised in it. I am thinking about other denominations like - Baptist and Born Again.

Gale if you need some help I'm happy to share with you my own beliefs - I'm a born again Christian.

1 person likes this

I am a Catholic because I was born and raised in it. I am thinking about other denominations like - Baptist and Born Again.

Gale if you need some help I'm happy to share with you my own beliefs - I'm a born again Christian.

Yeah, and I'm happy to help you if you have any questions or whatever about Catholicism. :)

xxx

I'm catholic always have been and always will be. I got to say there was a confusion stage in my life where I wasn't too close to god I was Lukewarm and did browse around to read about other church teachings but after reading stuff, it made me a better catholic. I also met someone who hoped around churches and returned back to the catholic faith after 30 years and shared his wonderful story. so it was really inspiring to me :) Praise the Lord :)

1. I'm UCC, or United Church of Christ. It's probably the most progressive of the mainline Protestant denominations. Theologically we're not terribly liberal, but when it comes to ordaining women and LGBT people, and same-sex marriage, we're progressive  :)

2. Yes, I was raised in the UCC, and I'm very glad I was, because I know want to be a pastor. Although I respect other denominations that believe women shouldn't be ordained, I think it would've been a shame if I had been called to the ministry yet been unable to follow that call due to the church I was a part of. I feel very blessed to be a part of the UCC!!

I don't even know what I am. I just call myself a Christian. My family are "non-practicing" christians I guess. My grandmother was the most religious out of us though. She always read the bible and even though she didn't go to church you would always see her watching those services on the tv lol. At night she would always make me pray the "Our Father", so I guess she's the one who really influenced me when it came to my faith. I'm totally confused on alot of things still though and will admit that I have been distancing myself from the Lord. But I hope that this will all change! :)

I'm non-denominational. For one I've been a Christian for only 2 years. Secondly I don't like the denominational divide. I have 3 friends, one is Seventh Day Adventist, the other is Mormon, the other is Jehovah Witnesses. They all say they're right and are the ones following the bible the correct way. So I choose to simply call myself Christian. I'll learn from the bible not some denomination trying to top another.

I was raised non-religiously. I was Atheist up until I was 20. I've considered being baptist, seventh day adventist, jehovah witness, and I keep thinking well if I choose one and I'm wrong than I'll be condemned to Hell by the other denominations so if I'm non-denominational I can't be wrong.

This whole denomination thing makes me Mad!

1 person likes this

@Weapon X-In essence, isn't a non-denominational person or a non-denominational church just his or her/its own denomination? I think, in theory, all denominations dislike the denominational divide since they all believe they are right. But, isn't it unavoidable if people have different beliefs?

1 person likes this