dodgedude

If you're a Christian...what denomination?

65 posts in this topic

Alot of us older members probably already know this about each other but it seems like we've had a TON of new members recently so assuming you're a Christian...

1) What denomination, if any and why?

2) Is this the denomination you were raised in or have you since changed?

No real reason for asking I just find the different Christian denominations very interesting and ultimately believe that no matter what we're all God-fearing Christians who love the Lord :)

As for me...I've gone to a Methodist church most of my life so it is what I was raised in and have continued going to. But its really more of a factor of me liking my particular church so much rather than the "Methodist Church" as a whole...I have actually considered switching to a Baptist church eventually as I feel that may fit me better....but as long as my pastor stays at my current church I'll stay.

4 people like this

1) Im also catholic

2) it is the denomination i was raised in. Ive really been searching a lot to see if ot really is "right" for me. So, ive been reading and asking friends about catholic and christian things

I'm a lifelong Methodist - like Dodgedude - although our family has more recently been attending a community church (Church of Christ). I have gone through periods of time in my life where we attended church literally every Sunday - and there were years where my wife & I co-taught Sunday School for elementary kids - these days we are probably more on the twice a month pattern.

oh - and for what it's worth - since there are so many christians part of this forum - teaching Sunday School, at some point in your life, is THE BEST. I highly highly recommend it at some point in your spiritual journeys - it's not about being the expert - it's about being committed to trying :-).

(not all that different from being WTM :-) )

1 person likes this

Well to answer your questions DodgeDude:

1) Catholic

2) This is the denomination I have been raised in. But, at one point in my life, I really thought I wanted to be Buddhist. I read Buddhist literature like the Tripitika, books about Zen, books by Thich Nhat Hanh etc.. I took Eastern/Southeast Asian Religious Studies classes and a Buddhist literature class in college and I enjoyed them. But, eventually, I ended up back to Christianity - Catholicism. And, at this moment, I'm trying to understand Catholicsm/Christianity more by studying and talking to people about it.

1 person likes this

My denomination isn't one of the mainstream churches. We place a VERY large importance on the Bible, and have a pretty solid set of standards and policies. Going to church isn't just something for me to do on a Sunday, being a Christian is part of my everyday life and I try to include God as often as possible.

Of course, I'm not going to try and "convert" people who don't want to be, but our doctrine and beliefs are mostly based on Mark 16, John 3 and Acts 2. PM me if you want any more information because there's a LOT I could expand upon, particuarly on the Holy Ghost experience, and speaking in other tongues (which I believe goes hand in hand, but that may be an unpopular view!)

But anyway, our church not only believes in signs, wonders and miracles, but expects them to happen on a day to day basis. We see healings, just the same as we read about in the Bible days. We see lives changed, addictions taken away (my own father was once a drug addict but lost the desire overnight when he was baptised, with no side affects, cravings or other problems, and has been clean for over 30 years. We also are looking to the return of Jesus Christ, and believe we are living in the last days described in Matthew 24.

Sorry if this offended anyone - definitely was not my intention :)

Oh and I just realised there was a Question 2 :P My parents were coming to this church before I was born, but I made my own decision many times to continue walking in that faith. I did come close to leaving several times when I was struggling with temptation, but I'm glad I stood firm because I know I probably wouldn't be a waiter if I wasn't a Christian - I just doubt I'd have the personal strength (one reason I respect atheist/agnostic waiters to a huge degree)

1. Catholic

2. Well, I was raised as a Catholic, and my parents are both Catholic (although my dad's not really a practicing one), and I went to a Catholic primary school and go to a Catholic high school.

The whole thing of finding a denomination that "fits"...I've just always felt really comfortable as a Catholic. I agree with all of the church teachings, so I've never felt that there was any conflict or whatnot with what I believe and what the church believes. So...Catholic, and very happy to be so!

xxx

1. Catholic by baptism. I was not baptized at birth, as both my parents were of different denominations. Went to Catholic school and that was the only church I knew, so I chose to become baptized Catholic.

2. Recently (past few years) I have been attending more of a non-denominational Church. Went back and forth between churches, but I don't know if I will go back to Catholicism.

I think I have concerns, similar to Naturally, when it comes to the institution of churches within Christianity.

I think thats still a denomination because there are beliefs specifix to "non denominational" people etc

2 people like this

I think thats still a denomination because there are beliefs specifix to "non denominational" people etc

oh okay!!! Well non-denominational Christian then!! :D

1 person likes this

Thanks for all the responses guys! Definitely a wide array here which is really cool!

Aussiestig, does your denomination have a name? It sounds similar to Pentecostalism.

oh okay!!! Well non-denominational Christian then!! :D

Its funny theres a Christian comedian named Tim Hawkins and he has a bit where he says "I mean really...non-denominational churches are really just Baptists with a cool website!" LOL I have some friends who are non-denom and they thought that was pretty funny :P

And FWIW, Tim Hawkins is a great comedian...and he's clean which is almost unheard of in this day and age!

3 people like this

Also, i have issues trusting Christian churches and at times the whole Christian institution...but that's another issue.

why?

I am a christian of non denomination. For me, to have denomination is like dividing up the body of Christ. I was raised in baptist, methodist, and any church looking for a piano player. My mom is a piano player, she's been so since she was 11 years old. I also had to sing in chrous since I was 5 until I graduated from high school. I went off to college, went to different type of church and found out that non denomination church is the best thing for me. My family eventually got on the bandwagon despite the fact that my mother cannot play for a church anymore, since, the slots are all full for our church.

For me, to have denomination is like dividing up the body of Christ.

You're not the first person I've heard of that feels this way. I understand that sentiment and FWIW I don't like the divisions either; BUT I think alot of it has to do with specific styles of worship, rituals, and just overall "feel" if that makes sense. From what I've found each major denomination differs a little bit in theology but most are still on roughly the same page on major issues. I do see them as necessary; kind of like how everyone has a different taste in movies or cars or you name it. Not to directly compare those things to church but you get the idea :P I don't see anything wrong with people having a different taste, if you will, in churches or style of worship, etc. We're all different hence the many denominations, imo.

2 people like this

Thanks for all the responses guys! Definitely a wide array here which is really cool!

Aussiestig, does your denomination have a name? It sounds similar to Pentecostalism.

I know I'm kind of late here, but I had the same curiosity as DodgeDude did. I'd love to hear more about what you believe in, and the similarities to Pentecostalism.

As for me, I was born and raised Baptist. I spent some time exploring other options, but none of them seemed right to me. I'm grateful I explored because all it has done is reassured me that I have choosen the right option for me.

1) I'm catholic because my family baptised me as a baby and went to Catholic school and everything, I couldn't change my denomination and wouldn't want to because most of the people at my church have known me since birth. It wouldn't feel right leaving them.

2) I was raised as a Catholic, I have been to other churches but they just didn't feel right for me.

1 person likes this

I was raised as a conservative Mennonite.

I'm now a bit liberal- but still Mennonite.

I am Mennonite because of a long family history, because I believe very strongly in some of the core beliefs (pacifism, anabaptistm, saved by faith not works, etc).

Dang, I didn't realize the abundance of Catholics on this site until I read this thread. This site is part of a Catholic conspiracy, I just know it :)

Anyways, I grew up in a church that was part of an evangelical denomination called Missionary Alliance. which heavily emphasizes, you guessed it: mission outreach.

I now consider myself non-denominational, as in I'm not formally aligned with any established denomination (Baptist, Lutheran etc.).

I was raised as a conservative Mennonite.

I'm now a bit liberal- but still Mennonite.

I am Mennonite because of a long family history, because I believe very strongly in some of the core beliefs (pacifism, anabaptistm, saved by faith not works, etc).

Mennonite, as in, Amish? Sorry for sounding ignorant, I'm just curious because one of the things that sort of fuelled my decision to wait was watching a Documentary about Amish communities in America (I'm from the UK) and the way that they waited till marriage to even kiss or have physical contact with their future wife/husband. I don't think I'd be able to wait till marriage to kiss but those people definitely inspired me to wait for sex! <3