seabutterfly

If you were to lose your faith would you still be waiting till marriage?

9 posts in this topic

Obviously the atheists  have got this one figured out.

Personally, although I was introduced to this whole thing from Catholicism, most of my reasons for it are not religious. So I'd like to think that if I never had my faith I might not, but if I lose my faith I will still be waiting. But I'd love to hear if anybody's different than that.

4 people like this

I was raised non-religious and waited despite never hearing religious reasoning for waiting. Now I wait for many reasons including religious. I know I would have still waited from my previous perspective, but I am strengthened and more confident in my conviction than if I had remained agnostic.

5 people like this

I know that for me I would still be waiting regardless of religion or not. I think personally those that successfully WTM faith isn't a strong enough motivator anymore. If it was then you wouldn't get the numbers of Christians for example who fall prey to having sex before marriage nowadays. In comparison, you will get more Christians speak out against about homosexuality or abortions and say this is against their religion because it is in the bible. We don't get nearly as many speaking out against fornication imo because so many are doing it. But they are all  stated as sins in the same bible last time I checked :huh:

So I personally think that successfully waiting until marriage stems more from a moral motivation in the sexualised society that we live in rather than religious. 

Faith is a motivator but ultimately it is down to the individual to actually carry it out and that tends to be for moral reasons. If religion/faith was strong enough in itself, we would have a lot more Christian waiters for example.  

But just to clarify and answer the question, I am waiting for both religious and moral reasons. I have no desire to have sex with anyone but my husband.

5 people like this

My decision to wait came about mostly from non-religious factors, but faith certainly does amplify it. Without faith, I would definitely still wait.

Honestly, waiting has ultimately led me to boost the importance of faith, as well as bolstering my interest in religion as a whole. Before I was kinda in a weird place with religion, but now I'm really starting to think more deeply about it.

3 people like this

I would still wait. The Church has always given extrabiblical moral arguments for traditional sexual morality, ones that you don't need to a member of any particular religion to agree with. I think they're convincing on their own.

2 people like this

I'm not super religious anyway, so I would still wait. Besides, there's plenty of practical and non religious reasons for waiting such as avoiding unplanned pregnancy and STDs. 

2 people like this

I would definitely still wait even if I were to turn away from religion. There is a definitely a religious component to waiting for me. However, it is also something that makes perfect sense to me. Waiting is the natural product of my religious, philosophical, and personal views. Just on a purely "self-serving" level, waiting protects my mind and body. If I turned away from religion, I would not take up smoking, drinking, or drugs. In the same way, I would not have relations outside of marriage.

1 person likes this

Yes, I'd still wait. My faith was actually not at the forefront of my decision. Not that it doesn't factor in, just that is still wait without it.

3 people like this

I abandoned Jesus. I solely believe in Hashem now. I still believe he would rather humans waited to have sex before they are married to each other.